Why no love for the Farmall Cub?

TMIL

5 year old buck +
I posted on the dark side tonight for the first time in months and months. I was pretty new there when this site was made, so of course I followed the smartest guys over here. I just hate it when someone calls a new Cub Cadet a Cub, as you will see here:

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68126

I plant and maintain my plot with my Cub tractors. I have posted this video here before:

I also disk:

I was serious when I said you must be a real citiot if you can convince yourself you can't service/maintain one of these little powerhouses.

I was also serious when I said you can probably find a fine tractor locally for ~$1500. Look into it if you think a Cub could fit your needs.

I like them, but I needed way more machine.

I LIke them Also. Spent many hours on one in my youth mowing grass at the local State Park near my home. The unit I used was very similar to the one in your picture but had a mower deck on it. I have not looked for one but if I could find one with the mower deck I would buy it if price good.

Nice tractors.

I've owned a Cub for the past 13 years or so, sometimes a few at a time. I'm down to a '58 Fast hitch. I love the thing. I think for food plotting on a small scale they are great tractors. I think they come up short though for serious plotters and/or small hobby farmers for several reasons…..1) low HP…@ 10 or so at the drawbar?, 2) no 3 pt. hitch, and 3) a pto that spins opposite of every other manufacturer.

I think for hobbyists who don't mind finding all of the unique implements for Cubs they are great. But if you've ever tried hooking up a Howard Rotavator to a Cub you'll know the frustration that comes with Cubs and their implements. My Cub will always have a place in my barn. But I do understand the lack of love for Cubs.

Yes, Cubs are little. They are not the answer for the folks who do lots of work and need a much bigger machine. For guys who work on a smaller scale, they are just perfect. Also, they aren't much bigger than an ATV and can be transported just as easily for those who don't live on their hunting property.

NB, what problems did you have hooking up your Rotavator? Mine is the fast hitch model, so it is really easy.

I have owned more than a dozen Cubs over the past 10 years. I'm down to 4 now. I bought a few tractors only because they came with a slew of implements, and then sold off the tractors and ended up with really cheap equipment. I have (or had): Rotavator, plows, disks, cultivators, 60in finish mowers, 42in brush-type mowers, sickle mower, planter/side dresser, disk plow, grader blade. I used to have 2 of the Hub City PTO reducer/reverser units, but I sold them last spring.

This is my 1979 Cub (one of the last Cubs produced). It is my dedicated mowing tractor sporting the 60in finish mower. I have $1500 in this setup, mow 3 acres weekly, it is very fun to mow with it, and it will long outlast any lawn mower of similar price on the planet.

Some folks love Edsels. ;) (just to pull your chain a bit)

I grew up around little ford utility tractors. They are so much safer to drive, have a 3 point hitch and decent hydraulic lift, and a PTO. Hard to beat the Ford and Ferguson tractors for utility work like this.....IMO.

Like any other tool they have their use.

Some folks love Edsels. ;) (just to pull your chain a bit)

I grew up around little ford utility tractors. They are so much safer to drive, have a 3 point hitch and decent hydraulic lift, and a PTO. Hard to beat the Ford and Ferguson tractors for utility work like this.....IMO.

Yep, I'm sort of an enthusiast. Haha! Actually, I bet I'm different from almost everyone else here. Most folks will buy a tractor because they want food plots. I have food plots because I like to use my old tractors. Its OK, you can call me backwards, you won't be the first and probably not the last!

BTW, I also have a Ford 641 Workmaster. I can't load it into the bed of the pickup or on the small trailer, however.

Last edited:
NB, what problems did you have hooking up your Rotavator? Mine is the fast hitch model, so it is really easy.

Mine was a fast-hitch as well. It was just a pain in the arse, that's all. Maybe I just didn't know exactly how to hook it up efficiently I used to struggle and curse and then curse some more. I sold it and the gear reducer and all of the bushings and extensions for $1400 and bought a modern 4' Ford tiller for my JD 750 for $400 and have never looked back.

I just got in from some serious seat time plowing snow on my Cub this afternoon. That, I enjoy!

You must be on the Farmallcub.com forum?

I didn't realize they were made that recently.

Mowing is what I'd use one for too. Perfect rider! Plenty of power, big enough wheels to not fall into a den hole, lighter than a bigger tractor (easier on the lawn), and easy on fuel.

We just picked one up a couple of month ago. It's a 1949 restored with a 5 ft woods belly mower. I couldn't pass up a deal, got it for $700 delivered. It does need rear tires, one has a 4in gash. I probably won't use it for food plots. It always amazes me that you can get a tractor like this for $700 bucks, but can't hardly buy a beat up riding lawnmower for this price. This tractors been running for 65 years and still going strong.

Priced a little too high for me, but then again I always looked for the great deal when I was buying. "It was grandpa's old mower and we haven't used it in years, we just need the garage space."

It might bring close to that to the right guy though. Its a "long stripe" note the decal on the side of the hood. The long stripes were produced at the end of the production run (1975-1979) and had a few changes and rate a little higher horsepower. They are sought after by Cub folks. It could be broken down like this:

tractor - 2000
fast hitch - 500
fh disk - 400
cultivators - 300
plow, no colter - 150

He is definitely starting at top dollar.