White Mulberry

Angus ... mulberry are monoecious; you can get fruit from a single plant.

An experiment to check the availability / spread of mulberry in your area / property .... clear a 3' diameter circle in a space with full sun and spade / dig the soil 6-8 inches deep (planting bed). Make a cage like you would use to protect a newly planted tree (mine are 12 squares of 5-foot concrete reinforcing wire (aka mesh or remesh); now suspend the mesh cage on 2 t-post with the bottom of the cage 2-feet off the ground. Birds will adore this lovely, convenient perch and by the end of summer / early fall you may have several sprouted mulberry trees growing at the base of the cage (even if you have only one or 2 trees in the area). I learned this as a result of using cages like this to support my tomato plants.

Angus ... mulberry are monoecious; you can get fruit from a single plant.

An experiment to check the availability / spread of mulberry in your area / property .... clear a 3' diameter circle in a space with full ssun and spade / dig the soil 6-8 inches deep (planting bed). Make a cage like you would use to protect a newly planted tree (mine are 12 squares of 5-foot concrete reinforcing wire (mesh or remesh); now suspend the mesh csage on 2 t-post with the bottom of the cage 2-feet off the ground. Birds will adore this lovely, convenient perch and by the end of summer / early fall you may have several sprouted mulberry trees growing at the base of the cage (even if you have only one or 2 trees in the area). I learned this as a result of using cages like this to support my tomato plants.
Do you an image?

I wanna try this!

Mulberries are parthenocarpic...you don't have to have a pollenizer to get fruit.
They may be dioecious - separate male and female trees, or monoecious - both male and female flowers on the same tree. I've seen them 'switch genders" from female to male.
Most grafted mulberries will be fruiting female clones, though there are some 'fruitless'(male) clones out there in the nursery trade. But, to answer your question... your 'Black Beauty' is a female, and should not be able to 'pollenate' anything... even a M.rubra, and certainly not a female, fruiting M.rubra.
That said, 'Nature finds a way'... I've seen mulberry trees totally switch genders, and it may be possible for a 'female' tree to throw a 'male' branch here and there.

I'm with most here - white mulberry is definitely 'invasive', and it's trashy as hell. I've largely refrained from planting any - and the albaXrubra hybrids are so much more productive than either a straight alba or rubra... I mostly plant hybrids - and I can promise you, deer will absolutely browse a hybrid to the ground, if you don't protect it.

Last edited:
The white mullberry has proven to be very invasive in NE. I haven't seen a lot of deer use on them except on a few of them. Not sure what the difference is but there are hundreds growing and taking over crp and fencelines and tree areas . I killed hundreds last winter and just finished killing hundred last weekend. They are no beuno.

The nrcs folks really emphasized to kill them all as they are so invasive.

Do you an image?

I wanna try this!
The first 3 photos in this post show mulberry plants near a tomato pot after the cage was removed for tillage; smaller plants had been pulled by hand ... these were too large (root structure) to be pulled (I dug one to show growth from seeding in June to dormancy in late November. The last photo shows the cages I use in growing tomastoes. The 4th photo shows a "trub" in the fall; a mulberry tree that was pruned heavily in June to create a shrub (heavy prunning stimulates extensive new growth shoots that deer really enjoy.

Attachments

• mulb 1.jpg
    mulb 1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 24
  • mulb 2.jpg
    mulb 2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 21
  • mulb 4.jpg
    mulb 4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 24
  • trub.JPG
    trub.JPG