White Ash $$$

chummer

5 year old buck +
Just a heads up to anyone with White Ash that was thinking about having it cut. I was talking to my forester about our walk through and he asked if there was any White Ash. He said the price is through the roof right now.

Walnut and white oak were very hot when I talked to forester in IA

All the white woods are up. When I did a cut about 15 years ago, ash wasn't even worth cutting. It was recommended then to cut them up into boards and make some flooring and use them for myself. They were worth about 120 per thousand board feet at best. On my last check the ash were worth about 600 per thousand. I almost wacked them all down just to create some light hitting the ground. Glad I didn't as I just sold all the mature ash for a good sum. The ash borer is about 25 miles away and the forester thinks 10-15 years until they get here. At that point they will be gone so it was a good idea to harvest now with the price up.

I guess it varies by region. Oak is near bottom of Flatlander's list. I hope his list works for my area as I have mostly maple and cherry.

All the white woods are up. When I did a cut about 15 years ago, ash wasn't even worth cutting. It was recommended then to cut them up into boards and make some flooring and use them for myself. They were worth about 120 per thousand board feet at best. On my last check the ash were worth about 600 per thousand. I almost wacked them all down just to create some light hitting the ground. Glad I didn't as I just sold all the mature ash for a good sum. The ash borer is about 25 miles away and the forester thinks 10-15 years until they get here. At that point they will be gone so it was a good idea to harvest now with the price up.
He told me 800 per thousand. I pretended to know what he was talking about. This is going to be a great learning process, I find the whole thing fascinating already. I can't wait for the forester visit.

800 probably on the high end. Cherry is up but not near any kind of peak. Ash and hard maple have really taken off and with cherry at a good price also I see logging everywhere. Soft maple while up some as all the white woods, is still not worth so much.

800 probably on the high end. Cherry is up but not near any kind of peak. Ash and hard maple have really taken off and with cherry at a good price also I see logging everywhere. Soft maple while up some as all the white woods, is still not worth so much.
I did notice some soft maple. Do you think I should leave it for hinging and seed trees or have the loggers take it at a low price.

That's all going to depend on your long term goals and I'm sure your forester will help you out. I think you would want to take out the marketable >16-18" Soft maple timber with the rest. Normally they will leave some bigger cherry for seed trees as the valuable species. After that, hinging the small soft maple would probably help out the regrowth and habitat on your property more than any future cash benefit.

Chummer,

Sounds like a great plan. Is the emerald ash borer near you? If so those ash would be dead in a few years anyways. Might as well cut them now while the price is high.

I dropped a few ash yesterday clearing apples. I like ash for firewood. Straight grained for easy splitting.
If not they are close. Most of the ash around my house are dying. I see the traps they use for them all over so I am guessing they are close to camp. Ash is my favorite tree to use for my self climber, silent to climb and the stand digs in good.

A way to create some value on your timber might be to cut ash into boards...if you have a location to store the boards. Depending on how fast the ash go, you would think someday ash might be even in more demand?