Purposes for ash logs

Charring wood for better rot protection seems to be gaining advocates especially over in Europe where they want "eco friendly" options vs the chemical/heavy metal processes.

Even saw on a YouTuber video (Andrew Camarata) that a customer of his rebuilt a shed with totally pre charred siding. When all done that way and a metal roof it didn't look too bad.
The vanwives did that on their cabin. It's interesting to say the least.

A note on mounting cams up high- some cams have very narrow (vertically) detection zones so when they are high and angled down the area an animal needs to be to trigger is significantly reduced compared to a lower mounted camera. This is a significant drawback on the tactacam reveals, a deer can walk through the top or bottom of the camera FOV and not trigger the cam.
I'm not going the tacta cam route. My brother has had all kinds of problems with his not sending 75% of his pics.

Ash will rot very quickly charred or not, white cedar up there is likely your best wood for ground contact posts.

If you want to haul it over to my place, I will make smoke out of it.

Ash will rot very quickly charred or not, white cedar up there is likely your best wood for ground contact posts.
I've actually got some white cedar that are on their last legs. The birds have been poking holes in the trunks for a number of years already, but they're still alive.

A note on mounting cams up high- some cams have very narrow (vertically) detection zones so when they are high and angled down the area an animal needs to be to trigger is significantly reduced compared to a lower mounted camera. This is a significant drawback on the tactacam reveals, a deer can walk through the top or bottom of the camera FOV and not trigger the cam.
This is the camera I'm going to try. I looked it up this morning and it wasn't on sale yet. Now it is. No idea if this will work, but it's more up my alley for what I want.

This is the camera I'm going to try. I looked it up this morning and it wasn't on sale yet. Now it is. No idea if this will work, but it's more up my alley for what I want.

Didn’t someone on here have those, or something similar?

Didn’t someone on here have those, or something similar?
Yes, some of us have one or more of the keen ranger pt which looks very similar.

So far I love it for being able to live view pan/tilt check out the foodplot at sunset or whenever I want to see how things are growing.

Negatives are that the detection circuit has a much shorter range than a good traditional trail cam and the ghosting effect at night sucks.

I’m gonna try one in spring and see how it does. Tactacam doesn’t seem to work well by us. My bother never received 75% of the pics his took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m gonna try one in spring and see how it does. Tactacam doesn’t seem to work well by us. My bother never received 75% of the pics his took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How’s the cell service there?

I take smaller logs and medium size trees I’m not going to use and cut them 6’-8’ long and kind of make a log cabin looking thing with them maybe four logs high and top with brush and trimmings.
Good cover for bunnies and smaller wildlife. Birds really hang around them too.

IMG_6516.jpeg

The whole brush piles for bunnies thing.. I’ve always kind of felt less bunnies=fewer coyotes=good. Sounds like nobody else thinks of it that way?

The whole brush piles for bunnies thing.. I’ve always kind of felt less bunnies=fewer coyotes=good. Sounds like nobody else thinks of it that way?
We shoot the coyotes but give fox a pass

We absolutely love the bunny hunting!

IMG_6526.jpeg

IMG_6525.jpeg

IMG_6524.jpeg

IMG_6523.jpeg

Are you the same guy that needs more hunting blinds?

Lay 2 or 3 logs a few feet apart. Then a entie layer of logs for the floor. Then make a small log cabin hunting blind.

You can also make a firewood pile blind. Just stack firewood between closeby trees.When at gun level, put some logs only on the ends. Put a log log to cover where yor head is. A little 2x4, plywood and shingles and you got a roof if you need one.

H20fowler,

Thats a funny lookin bunny in the middle of that pickup bed......

The bunny brush piles work great. I need to make some more as mine have rotted.

Pics of the youngest hunting (sort of) from a firewood blind. Worked like a champ!

Screenshot_20231209_142431_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231209_142453_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231209_142609_Gallery.jpg