whippoorwills

woodduck

5 year old buck +
How many of you guys hear Whippoorwills at your places each year ? The last Whippoorwill I heard was while turkey hunting in Missouri in the spring of 2002. I can remember hearing them as a kid but haven't heard one here in Pa in some 20 plus years. It crosses my mind from time to time why I don't hear them anymore and I have even asked a few guys at work if they have heard them. They either don't know what I'm talking about or haven't heard them for a while either. This morning I was awoken by ones song coming from the woods outside my bedroom window. I jumped up and put my head up to the screen then stood up and excitedly asked my wife if she had heard that. In a disgusted voice she said "yes its driving my crazy''.

I've had them every spring for as long as I've owned land in clay county, 1995. I look forward to them every year.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Had one singing in a tree about 30 yards from our campfire last weekend. I don't recall ever having one that close. There were also a couple others calling in the distance. We hear them all the time where I'm at.

What a great sound that brings back memories of childhood camping trips!
We had one set up next to our deck last spring. Night after night I listened to it and thought it was so cool that we had one at our house. Finally my wife says "what the he'll is making all that noise? I'm sick of hearing it ALLLLL the time!". Lol, I guess it brought us different memories.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lots of them here as well - especially in early Spring.

Sitting in the woods waiting for the turkeys to come alive, it's nice to be able to listen to the whippoorwills until they do!

Lots here to in this part of in the spring.
I heard one last year in jersey. "One"

Seems like there must be more through the South and Midwest than here in the Northeast. I think I'll be out late and up early tomorrow morning to hopefully catch a song again!

Plenty of them at my place.

I hear them a lot while turkey hunting. When the whippoorwill stops is when the gobbling should start. At least that is what I told my daughter this year.

Along the same lines is quail. My daughter has no idea what they sound like. I used to hear them all the time when I was a kid but it has been many many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alway had them. Had to wear ear plugs last night, they're right outside my window! :emoji_unamused:

Do not here many here in Fl but wake up to them at the farm in NC.

We hear them just about every evening at camp in N. C. Pa. mountains. We've had them for years. I love listening to them with cabin windows open as I'm drifting off to sleep. ( just not too close to the cabin ....... they can be loud !! )

Very loud and frequent in south Alabama this past weekend at night, and it was late.