Whats under your Sleeve?

Just got off the phone with them after sending pics of my invoice and the three trees I don’t want.
Allen said they have the right to substitute and they will NOT refund or send me trees that will grow in my zone.
So BUYER BEWARE The Wildlife Group nursery is NOT a stand up business at all. Do NOT buy from them! I have completely lost faith in them TWG is shady.
WOW that's terrible !. I'd be pissed , and I'm sure you are. They need to keep better track of how many trees they have , and how many they sell . Bottom line , They shouldn't have taken your order if they didn't have enough trees . Then When they noticed they didn't have enough, they should of at least called and offered you a refund OR asked if there was a variety you would like in substitution , not just send you any old thing.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe hill them for now and put them on the classifieds forum or if you're on a hunting forum for your state.

Liking the little guys for trees much better....... wildlife gorup ain't little no more.

I have been ordering with the TWG for years with good results, I hate to hear this bad situation. In fact the last two orders they have added a couple of extra trees, I can't help but think that maybe that is why they are running out of trees if throwing in trees without removing from computer inventory. In the booklet they state in the Fruit tree package section that they reserve the right to make substitutions if availability becomes an issue but I always assumed that was meant for a sub in the package category only. I could see that logic if they had all the varieties but one and sub that one to fulfill the order for the discounted multi tree package. On the other hand I agree to substitute individual trees without permission is ridiculous and would make me mad.

Many nurseries have a box to check or some other way for a customer to state they won't accept substitutions. If they don't, I'll put a note somewhere on the ordering form that I won't accept substitutions. If there's not a box to check or a place to make an ordering note I won't buy from them

I'm with crazy ed. Flame them online as much as possible. That's horsesh*t. By this thread alone they just lost more money than they would've by sending you the correct trees next yr or issuing a refund. Hope they choke on a tree tube.

I'm with crazy ed. Flame them online as much as possible. That's horsesh*t. By this thread alone they just lost more money than they would've by sending you the correct trees next yr or issuing a refund. Hope they choke on a tree tube.

I agree it is just bad business.

I just couldn’t let it go after being treated like that…so, Called my attorney. Boxed their trees back up sent them back. Disputed charge on my card. Then filed a form with the Better Business Bureau last night.
I’m not going to be treated like that, I’m prepared to take it full on nuke now.

Many nurseries have a box to check or some other way for a customer to state they won't accept substitutions. If they don't, I'll put a note somewhere on the ordering form that I won't accept substitutions. If there's not a box to check or a place to make an ordering note I won't buy from them
homerj Since many of us place our order months in advance ,usually the year before and give a ship date. I wonder if we can call 2-3 days before the ship date and ask them to confirm that all the trees we ordered are in stock and if not state NO substitutions. If they won't bother to check, we can just cancel the order since it hasn't been shipped and our card hasn't been charged yet . That might be one way to safeguard getting what you want.

homerj Since many of us place our order months in advance ,usually the year before and give a ship date. I wonder if we can call 2-3 days before the ship date and ask them to confirm that all the trees we ordered are in stock and if not state NO substitutions. If they won't bother to check, we can just cancel the order since it hasn't been shipped and our card hasn't been charged yet . That might be one way to safeguard getting what you want.
That sounds complicated to me. If it works for you, go for it.
Seems to me many nurseries charge your card as soon as the order is placed

I counted trees a few years back and it was over 200. I said I am done planting.

Well there are 7 bare root trees sitting in my garage and I am waiting for the snow to melt and the last of the frost to go. I found a spot for two of them.

Luke from Midwest Deer Trees had a Hansen’s Red Flesh that I will keep outback. Not room for it in the upfront orchard. There are also several of what I call Platte River Pippin. That is a seedling from a wild crab that grew on the banks of said river,that appears to be a decent deer apple crab. Nothing special as an eater.

That tree will go across the ditch as the mother tree is outback.

I have not sorted out what to do with the other trees….

Then there is some scion.., Crow Egg, Pipsqueak, and probably some more. My Franklin cider tree will probably become a Franken tree and that is in the home orchard.

planting 200 honeycrisp , 200 sweet maia all m26 roots , i will never stop planting,,, till im dust

That sounds complicated to me. If it works for you, go for it.
Seems to me many nurseries charge your card as soon as the order is placed
Calling a few days before an order ships to make sure everything's in stock at a place that is known for making mistakes and substitutions is complicated ?. I'd rather do that than be shipped trees that I don't want , and have the hassle of returning them.

That's the only way I'd ever order from TWG again. I'd call 2-3 days before the ship date and ask them to confirm that everything's in stock. If they refuse to check , order gets cancelled. For the record they don't charge your card until the trees ship.

I think it's agreed they ship quality trees, the issue is their poor business practice of substituting you with any old tree instead of what you ordered.

Last edited:
Calling a few days before an order ships to make sure everything's in stock at a place that is known for making mistakes and substitutions is complicated ?. I'd rather do that than be shipped trees that I don't want , and have the hassle of returning them.

That's the only way I'd ever order from TWG again. I'd call 2-3 days before the ship date and ask them to confirm that everything in stock.
If they refuse to check , order gets cancelled. PS: they don't charge your card until the trees ship.
I'd never order from anywhere that I can't state "no substitutions" upon ordering. What makes you think the person on the other end of the phone is going to make sure your requests are guaranteed? My guess is they'd tell you their substitution policy and that you should have been aware of it when you placed an order. Why would I make the ordering process more difficult by dealing with a nursery who requires me calling, being placed on hold, being transferred to somebody else in some other department, etc? Then calling my CC company and dealing with them on cancelling an order or disputing a charge?

I have no idea what TWG's procedure for billing/charging your card may be. They have nothing I'd want to plant.

Like I said, if it works for you go for it. I have zero interest in such a business transaction.

I've Never seen a online tree nursery where you can click a box and say "no substitutions" like you claim . There might me a "special instructions" area for shipping etc . What makes you think typing in "no substitutions" there guarantees it will be Followed ? . That's the same as me calling, except I can get a name and hold them responsible if I'm sent substitute trees , and say 2 days ago you said they were in stock.

It doesn't matter if you have any idea what TWG's billing procedures are. I told you they only charge when the order ships.

I've Never seen a online tree nursery where you can click a box and say "no substitutions" like you claim .
"

Substitutions at Trees​

When dealing with live plants, we can never be certain that we can fill your entire order. If something becomes unavailable, our default mode is to substitute a similar variety because most people prefer a similar tree or plant to a refund. On the order form, if you indicate you don’t want any substitutions, we’ll send a refund. You’ll have the option to donate some of your refund to the Maine Heritage Orchard.

If you order apples, please indicate whether you will accept the same varieties on similar rootstocks."

Once you order, plants are committed on a first come, first serve basis. Prices and availability are subject to change without notice. Shipping charges and sales tax are subject to change without notice. Size changes may occur if necessary unless - No Substitutions - has been requested. Please make all additions/changes to your order through email or phone. Website is updated daily.
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
https://www.burntridgenursery.com/

Temperate Orchard Conservancy automatically refunds you for any scions ordered that they are out of stock on, they don't substitute

One Green World, Trees of Antiquity, and numerous other nurseries have a comment box on their ordering form where you can state no substitutions. How is that better? You can screen shot your order as proof of stating such when you ask for a refund. Most order forms from those nurseries will also show your comments about not accepting subs on your emailed confirmation as well. A paper trail is much better proof than saying "so and so told me" when dealing with your CC company.

Any nursery that doesn't have a clear substitution policy available I don't do business with. That's just me. You do you

H2Ofwler, you cured me from ever ordering from them.

My spring is going to be pretty set; like many here that over the years have saturated themselves with grafting projects that have left me with a whole lot of trees in the nursery that need to be transplanted. I HAVE to get off my @$$ and get trees lifted out and planted. I went and inventoried what I have and need to get them out to the last places I need trees. I have some held for buddies that I also need to get them here to get them gone as well.
You always need a few replacement trees simple because stuff happens - everything these days wants to kill your trees from Mother nature to tiny bugs but, down sizing is the goal. I would love to empty out the nursery and focus more on wildlife shrubs and plants. I have a niche for them all over the farm.
So apart from the few .... ......................... thousands of varieties I still dont have and seem to always be looking for .... Ive slowed down on grafting. I have about a dozen failed trees that Im going to graft onto this spring. I may try pears again after my last huge failure but that would be next year.

I have an itch this spring to look for wild blossoms and mark a few tree for taste testing and watching to see size and drop times ... I did that a few years ago and was kind of fun.

so ya ... planting out the nursery is the immediate goal

About 15 Bluehill trees going in next week. I'm going to pick them up because I wanted the growth on the two year old trees this year. 😀

"

Substitutions at Trees​

When dealing with live plants, we can never be certain that we can fill your entire order. If something becomes unavailable, our default mode is to substitute a similar variety because most people prefer a similar tree or plant to a refund. On the order form, if you indicate you don’t want any substitutions, we’ll send a refund. You’ll have the option to donate some of your refund to the Maine Heritage Orchard.

If you order apples, please indicate whether you will accept the same varieties on similar rootstocks."

Once you order, plants are committed on a first come, first serve basis. Prices and availability are subject to change without notice. Shipping charges and sales tax are subject to change without notice. Size changes may occur if necessary unless - No Substitutions - has been requested. Please make all additions/changes to your order through email or phone. Website is updated daily.
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif
https://www.burntridgenursery.com/

Temperate Orchard Conservancy automatically refunds you for any scions ordered that they are out of stock on, they don't substitute

One Green World, Trees of Antiquity, and numerous other nurseries have a comment box on their ordering form where you can state no substitutions. How is that better? You can screen shot your order as proof of stating such when you ask for a refund. Most order forms from those nurseries will also show your comments about not accepting subs on your emailed confirmation as well. A paper trail is much better proof than saying "so and so told me" when dealing with your CC company.

Any nursery that doesn't have a clear substitution policy available I don't do business with. That's just me. You do you
How long did it take you to scour the internet to find that obscure nursey ? . None of the popular wildlife nurseries talked about on this forum have that policy. Funny you say " They (TWG) have nothing I'd want to plant" so why are you throwing your 2 cents in about a place and it's polices that you'd never order from. ? makes no sense.

H20fwlr had a bad experience this year , and if I was him I'd never order from TWG either. Myself I had a good experience , would I ever order again ? -MAYBE- if they say yes to my 2 questions below. You're commenting on stuff that you have no idea what you are talking about. With the exception of a few large tree packages the rest of The Wildlife groups orders have to be placed over the phone so there isn't any "no substitutions box to check".

Going forward this is my recommendation.....for anyone thinking of ordering from TWG

When calling to place the order , #1 ask if you can specify No Substitutions , #2 ASK if you can call 2-3 days before shipping to make sure everything you ordered is in stock because you don't want ANY substituted trees . If they say no to both don't place the order.

If by chance they say NO to both questions,, and enough of us say ok no problem, I won't be ordering....maybe then they will change their substitution policy.

Last edited:
How long did it take you to scour the internet to find that obscure nursey ? . None of the popular wildlife nurseries talked about on this forum have that policy. Funny you say " They (TWG) have nothing I'd want to plant" so why are you throwing your 2 cents in about a place and it's polices that you'd never order from. ? makes no sense.

H20fwlr had a bad experience this year , and if I was him I'd never order from TWG either. Myself I had a good experience , would I ever order again ? -MAYBE- if they say yes to my 2 questions below. You're commenting on stuff that you have no idea what you are talking about. With the exception of a few large tree packages the rest of The Wildlife groups orders have to be placed over the phone so there isn't any "no substitutions box to check".

Going forward this is my recommendation.....for anyone thinking of ordering from TWG

When calling to place the order , #1 ask if you can specify No Substitutions , #2 ASK if you can call 2-3 days before shipping to make sure everything you ordered is in stock because you don't want ANY substituted trees . If they say no to both don't place the order.

If by chance they say NO to both questions,, and enough of us say ok no problem, I won't be ordering....maybe then they will change their substitution policy.
You sure get your undies in a bundle over nothing. I don't order fruit trees from "wildlife nurseries", I order from places who cater to folks growing fruit trees for people. That way I get the trees I want to get.

Fedco and the other nurseries I listed are obscure? Lol

Have a good Easter

I've personally ordered trees from multiple nurseries that have the no substitution policy. I've ordered from Fedco seeds, burnt Ridge Nurseries and also St. Lawrence Nursery has the same policy. I think it is nuts that TWG would basically say we'll ship you whatever we want and you'll pay for it and like it!