What's for dinner?

^ ^ ^ ^ Our one son smokes a fair amount of meat for us and friends of his. He typically uses fruit wood for smoke too. Cherry, apple, & pear mainly, along with red or white oak for the fire & added flavor. That brisket looks incredible!!

20231016_181630.jpg
20231016_194013.jpg
20231016_204733.jpg
Field to fry pan. Slow braised rooster thighs. Fun opener. Piper did great work after a long off-season. Can't beat the freshness of flying to frying in under 2 hrs.

Last edited:
Canned venison gravy on mashed potato’s this evening.

Little torn... Wife pulled out the last of the mule deer backstraps from last year and said she's going to crock pot it and make a roast... Her roasts aren't the favorite meal she makes, and it's loin! Cmon man...

I hinted that I didn't like to use good meat for that, but I think she just plowed on...

Am I off base? Should I be finding a new wife? What's the right response here?

Little torn... Wife pulled out the last of the mule deer backstraps from last year and said she's going to crock pot it and make a roast... Her roasts aren't the favorite meal she makes, and it's loin! Cmon man...

I hinted that I didn't like to use good meat for that, but I think she just plowed on...

I feel your pain. My wife texted me once that she pulled "some deer meat" out of the freezer and was going to crock pot it. I asked her what exactly it was. Upon finding out it was a half a backstrap, I made it clear she wasn't to touch it any further.

To be fair, I'm picking up 700# of moose meat today... So we'll survive... It just feels l like putting ketchup on a steak, emotionally....

She should have asked. You should probably wait a reasonable period of time and then explain why it is important to use certain cuts in certain ways.

Cheaper to buy ribeye's every night than to trade in the wife.

It depends I think since it was last years loin still in the freezer you can keep her around, if it had been this years loin she would have to go!

... What's the right response here?
"Honey, that sounds great. I am glad we can use last year's harvest up before refilling the freezer."

Shoot more deer.

We settled.

But I told her she owes me one... 😆

Simple yet effective. Significant other is out of town for a few days so I broke out some venison tenderloin. Seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow and a couple sides.

IMG_4528.jpegIMG_4529.jpeg