What's for dinner?

Stacey had a special request for dinner tonight, so I made sure to fill that request.

Stone ground cheese grits with fresh uncured bacon. Sure was good!

^ ^ ^ ^ What's in it??

Mostly pork prepared different ways, some squid and fried tofu, and lots of herbs. I squeezed a calamansi in my beer and poured it over ice. It's been about 90 degrees here. Damn good meal.

Looks good, but you can keep the tofu. I use calasmansi so often I had to google it.

Looks good, but you can keep the tofu. I use calasmansi so often I had to google it.

Until a few years ago, I wouldn't touch tofu. It's not very good, and it has a reputation for containing estrogen. Recent research has changed my mind on the health aspect, and trying tofu outside of China has changed my mind on the flavor side. Turns out, tofu won't make you a girl, and it may be better for you than whey protein. It's basically just soybean juice. There's a reason big bucks get jacked on soybeans. It's probably a lot more healthy than we realized. There is some suggestion that it was the US meat industries who spread the idea that soy protein is great for getting livestock jacked, but turning human males into women.

As for the flavor, in Vietnam there is a preference for tofu that has a custardy texture and flavor. And when it's fried, it's actually quite good, especially when wrapped in lettuce and herbs and dipped in spicy sauces. There is even a variety that is made with egg that is literally a type of custard.

I'm still not 100% sold on tofu and soy in general, but I am definitely coming around as the new research changes the old wisdom.

IMG_2240.jpegIMG_2241.jpegIMG_2242.jpegIMG_2243.jpegI was organizing a tournament every night last week so we did our Valentine’s dinner last night. Grilled hearts of romaine salad, a 28 ounce porterhouse for two, twice baked potatoes, and asparagus. Cheesecake for dessert but I forgot to take a picture of the cheesecake. Add a bottle of Justin Cab and it was a nice dinner for two!

View attachment 62636View attachment 62637View attachment 62638View attachment 62639I was organizing a tournament every night last week so we did our Valentine’s dinner last night. Grilled hearts of romaine salad, a 28 ounce porterhouse for two, twice baked potatoes, and asparagus. Cheesecake for dessert but I forgot to take a picture of the cheesecake. Add a bottle of Justin Cab and it was a nice dinner for two!

Nice presentation on that steak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally post in this thread with a positive slant. However, I've recently had a weird experience that I thought I would partly share here, for the sake of WTF.

smallfish.jpgfishsmall.jpg

It's weird-ass tiny fish from wherever. Tastes like oil and garlic, which makes sense, because that it what the fish are smothered in. There were several other dishes, so the whole dinner was not a shitshow. The biggest disappointment with this dish was the sudden brutality of sharp bones that needed some kind of exorcism out of the community.

I generally post in this thread with a positive slant. However, I've recently had a weird experience that I thought I would partly share here, for the sake of WTF.

View attachment 62733View attachment 62734

It's weird-ass tiny fish from wherever. Tastes like oil and garlic, which makes sense, because that it what the fish are smothered in. There were several other dishes, so the whole dinner was not a shitshow. The biggest disappointment with this dish was the sudden brutality of sharp bones that needed some kind of exorcism out of the community.
Reminds me of fish eyes and duck tongue in Taiwan years ago. I ate the duck tongue. Passed on the eyes. 😆

Then as a dumb American I used a toothpick without covering my mouth and that was offensive 🤪

View attachment 62733View attachment 62734

Did you know you were getting little minnows when you ordered that meal? I'm not sure what part of the world you are in now, but they must have some bigger fish on the menu there!

Did you know you were getting little minnows when you ordered that meal? I'm not sure what part of the world you are in now, but they must have some bigger fish on the menu there!

I'm in Vietnam. I didn't order that food. I was the designated driver from Dalat back to HCMC, so when I got the order to stop for dinner, I stopped where they pointed. Funny enough, They also ordered a heckin big chunk of catfish in a pineapple and tamarind soup. The soup was good, but the fish not so much. I've never been a fan of Asian fish if I'm being honest, and I only order it if it's some specialty of the region or restaurant I find myself in.

It's not weird tiny fish in Vietnam, but it's simple and good. Hotlinks and hotdogs; seasoned, smoked, sprinked with butter/brown sugar/BBQ sauce, then smoked again.
Screenshot_20240304_201309_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240304_201314_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240304_201342_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240304_201320_Gallery.jpg

Wild rabbit or farm raised rabbit? My kids love wild rabbit stew, but kentucky fried rabbit looks even better-

It was his 1st wild rabbit kill. We hunted them a lot and even had a beagle when I was young, but then dad and I mostly focused on keeping the farm for deer. Now the kids are interested in more varied activities there, so the deer hunting will probably suffer. Rabbit stew sounds great. We'll go for that more healthy route next time.

It was his 1st wild rabbit kill. We hunted them a lot and even had a beagle when I was young, but then dad and I mostly focused on keeping the farm for deer. Now the kids are interested in more varied activities there, so the deer hunting will probably suffer. Rabbit stew sounds great. We'll go for that more healthy route next time.
We've done a lot of habitat work close to our house that has produced some great rabbit hunting. We've slowly cut down most of the junk trees to benefit the adjacent oaks and good shrubs. We make brush piles about every 30 years and the rabbit numbers exploded. We focus on deer most of the time, but once the gun deer season is over we switch to rabbit hunting.