What would you do?

jray57

Yearling... With promise
Got a soil test and added recommended fertilizer. Can't add lime this year because I have to get 8 tons to have it delivered and spread and this area is only about 1 acre and the recommended amount is 2 1/2 tons. PH is 5.6. I want to put winter rye and red clover in about Sept 1, weather permitting. Site has already been nuked. Throw and mow or disc?
4cadfdd0e03a716be384716b1e4c64e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Don't disc. You have a great kill and discing will cause lots of weeds to germinate.

Just go for it. You will be ok.

Why would discing caude germination of weed buy mowing wouldn't? Seems to me that mowing would blow seeds around more and make it worse?

Why would discing caude germination of weed buy mowing wouldn't? Seems to me that mowing would blow seeds around more and make it worse?

It's not the ones on top it's the evil ones laying in the seed bank to deep to germinate. Disc them up and they come to life. Sounds weird but it's true. I once disced a field all summer. Every few weeks. By Sept I finally had just dirt and seeded clover. But before that each time I disced there was a flourish of new growth.

But I am with you on mowing. I don't see a need to mow that thatch. Just broadcast and pray for heavy rain.

Throw and cultipack if you can. WR will tolerate that pH pretty well.

Thanks,

Jack

Don't do either. Spread your seed and simply use a roller or ATV tires or whatever and smash down the dry vegetation you have - you don't even really have to do that if you don't want. A good rain will take care of the rest.

Discing can bring seed laying dormant in the soil to the surface and allow them to germinate. Mowing can introduce seed to your plot as well. Mowers tend to be used all over the place and can carry seed of various kinds. You have a really great kill there...... broadcast your seed, and either roll or simply wait for rain.

Got a pretty good kill on everything but this
7ad6f17d73343b8ba94256f6b0271d22.jpg
Not really sure what it is was thinking about hitting it with some 2,4D.
Should I use a higher rate of seed? Don't want to get too much WR and choke the clover out. I guess I could always come back with some WR later if it's too light.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I would spread rye at 75lbs per acre, then your clover seed, then roll and call it good.

I would broadcast my seed then pull a piece of chain link fence across it like so......(or some similar drag to scuff it up and settle the seed)........That's how I had to do it last November after pretty much 2 months of no rain.

SiENwJK.jpg

1 ton of pelletized lime is only 25 bags...you could spread that much in an hour and would give you a head start on the ph for next year when you lime in bulk

I would broadcast my seed then pull a piece of chain link fence across it like so......(or some similar drag to scuff it up and settle the seed)........That's how I had to do it last November after pretty much 2 months of no rain.

Harold,

I would call that implement a DeLux east texas drag harrow

bill
SiENwJK.jpg

Lol!....Yeah, that's sophisticated piece of machinery right there.

Wanted to give an update: Broadcast winter wheat, diakon radish and crimson clover on 8/30. Took CnC's advise and just drug with a chain harrow after seeding.
20170830_184313.jpg
Got 1 fair rain then nothing since. 10 days after seeding
20170910_141056.jpg
Took this yesterday
20170924_113553.jpg
With the lack of rain it's not looking bad.

Wanted to give an update: Broadcast winter wheat, diakon radish and crimson clover on 8/30. Took CnC's advise and just drug with a chain harrow after seeding.
View attachment 15175
Got 1 fair rain then nothing since. 10 days after seeding
View attachment 15176
Took this yesterday
View attachment 15177
With the lack of rain it's not looking bad.

Looks good!!

I'd love for my plots to have looked like that the first time! I think after you get some rain the clover will fill in a lot of that and you'll have a great plot. Please post pictures in a couple weeks to keep us updated. I'd like to see how this turns out.

One question: How come you chose to go with WW instead of WR like you originally talked about? With the low ph I thought WR would be a great choice.

I'd love for my plots to have looked like that the first time! I think after you get some rain the clover will fill in a lot of that and you'll have a great plot. Please post pictures in a couple weeks to keep us updated. I'd like to see how this turns out.

One question: How come you chose to go with WW instead of WR like you originally talked about? With the low ph I thought WR would be a great choice.

The farmer that leases a field just on top of that rise to the left in the last picture planted barley last fall as a cover crop. He had both bearded and awnless varieties in different parts of the 45 acres. When they headed out in late spring-early summer the deer destroyed the heads of the awnless variety. Craig Harper said that he had no activity on barley-he evidently didn't wait for it to head out. Anyway I used awnless wheat instead of rye and intend to leave it standing as long as it persists into the summer and use the straw to encourage reseeding of the crimson.

Oh and I failed to add that I found another area to "convert" so this field ended up getting 3 tons of a load of ag lime

Last edited: