What type of apple trees are you planting / grafting in 2016

Chummer, I assume you are mixing the B118 with the grafted trees in your plots. Just B.118 and you won't have any cross-pollination. If you had seedling rootstock or dolgo, they'd all be happy together.
Have about 10 different varieties coming so I will mix them up. However, why would they not pollinate each other. I thought each one would produce a slightly different Apple. Are all the B.118 rootstocks genetically the same?

Order update:
Adding 10 Manchurian Crab whips for pollination and windbreak. Ordered them from Lincoln Oaks. Thinking of starting these in 5 ft. tubes for the first year - quicker planting.
Check out Midwest Crab from Cold Stream. It is a bush type crab recommend for wind breaks. I planted 12" seedlings two years ago and they were waiste high this year. I started them in 2' tubes.
Here is a pic from around June of this year.
image.jpg

Chummer - Nice crab !! ^^^^ If they get bushy, it won't be long before you have some good food / cover.

Maya - 1200 ...... Holy crap !! How many years did it take to get that many planted ?? 100's for deer too ...... Bravo !! ( I was just busting on you for not planting. ) We'll be stopping apple / crab planting this spring at camp - no more open space. Focus will be back on bettering thick cover.

Check out Midwest Crab from Cold Stream. It is a bush type crab recommend for wind breaks. I planted 12" seedlings two years ago and they were waiste high this year. I started them in 2' tubes.
Here is a pic from around June of this year.
View attachment 8259
Hey Chummer - Great looking crab! Thanks for posting the photo. The ones I purchased are basically the same as yours (I believe). Hopefully mine will grow as well as your's. Thanks !

Will be planting 300 mn55, 100 honeycrisp , 100 bud 9 rootstock for future t budding, 50 kindercrisp all apples on bud 9 planted 4 ft apart 15 ft between rows , conduit stake at each tree and 5 wire high tensile trellis will make 2100 trees in the gound in the orchard

Website Jakesappleshack take a look it what we do for 100 percent of our income

we currently have honeycrisp ,, sweetango,,honeygold,,harlson,,bonnie best,, prairie magic,,chestnut crab ,, wealthy ,,,dandee red,, zestar ,, sweet sixteen ,, Cortland ,, blondie ,, snow sweet , wolf river ,, frostbite ,,

also have been included in some u of m trials including a sweet cherry bing type being developed for zone 4 , this cherry is yellow with a red blush large and sweet and by all reports may fruit well zone 4 to zone 3
also am trailing an Asian pear crossed by u of m and it will be large hardy and very fireblight resistant , this cross when released has been bred for zone 4 , maybe zone 3

If anyone wants scion I will ship no cost except postage,,, all material must be non protected by patent , Pm me

Last edited:
Chummer, B.118 is a cloned rootstock so each one is genetically identical.

Chummer, B.118 is a cloned rootstock so each one is genetically identical.
Rats. I will have others for pollination but I was hoping for some variation in them. Maybe it will force me into grafting.

I like the KinderKrisp and grafted 3 last spring.

What can you tell me about Bonnie Best, Dandee Red, and Blondie? I would be interested in CAR resistance, drop time, taste, etc.

I will also be checking your website.
Will be planting 300 mn55, 100 honeycrisp , 100 bud 9 rootstock for future t budding, 50 kindercrisp all apples on bud 9 planted 4 ft apart 15 ft between rows , conduit stake at each tree and 5 wire high tensile trellis will make 2100 trees in the gound in the orchard

Website Jakesappleshack take a look it what we do for 100 percent of our income

we currently have honeycrisp ,, sweetango,,honeygold,,harlson,,bonnie best,, prairie magic,,chestnut crab ,, wealthy ,,,dandee red,, zestar ,, sweet sixteen ,, Cortland ,, blondie ,, snow sweet , wolf river ,, frostbite ,,

also have been included in some u of m trials including a sweet cherry bing type being developed for zone 4 , this cherry is yellow with a red blush large and sweet and by all reports may fruit well zone 4 to zone 3
also am trailing an Asian pear crossed by u of m and it will be large hardy and very fireblight resistant , this cross when released has been bred for zone 4 , maybe zone 3

If anyone wants scion I will ship no cost except postage,,, all material must be non protected by patent , Pm me

Bonnie best is a large apple similar to wolf river in size firmer though great cooking and pie apple resistant to car old time apple came from central wis lemony flavor sweet but tart , We planted them because customers asked for them as an apple they could not find would hang thru sept

Dandee Red is a newer release apple , high quality crunch but sweet , ripens early here 20 aug if picked and held in storage will be good three months , will not hold on tree past sept 15 and quality drops off fast , excellent apple picked right and held really kicks our season off as then we have good quality early and can press some cider early for the customers in early sept not car resistant

Blondie is a great yellow apple one of my favorites , ripens here about 20 sept and holds very good in fact there are still some on some of the trees now , zone 4 maybe its limit though have had some issues with winter , sweet ,crunch, alittle banana flavor , not car resistant , have been getting a few trees on g41 roots and they seem to winter better.

Of coarse we spray for scab but have found that scab can be controlled some without heavy fungicide sprays, timly sulfur spray and we use a product called oxidate organic approved formulation of hydro peroxide , strickly a contact product but works well if timed right.

Really looking forward to the mn 55 , do a quik search on line ,, Mn 55 is the new u of m apple being controlled released similar to the sweetango model , this apple will be very similar to honeycrisp ready mid aug 15 to 20 , Honeycrisp crunch, sweet, but ready early , official naming will occur soon then it will be all over the press as the next big thing that's why we plant on bud 9 we want and need to get these new varities producing fast to catch the demand early .

Personally I prefer semi dwarf trees less management like a m26 still early bearing but not trellised , certainly wont work for deer as they would never outgrow their reach

Bonnie best is a large apple similar to wolf river in size firmer though great cooking and pie apple resistant to car old time apple came from central wis lemony flavor sweet but tart , We planted them because customers asked for them as an apple they could not find would hang thru sept

Dandee Red is a newer release apple , high quality crunch but sweet , ripens early here 20 aug if picked and held in storage will be good three months , will not hold on tree past sept 15 and quality drops off fast , excellent apple picked right and held really kicks our season off as then we have good quality early and can press some cider early for the customers in early sept not car resistant

Blondie is a great yellow apple one of my favorites , ripens here about 20 sept and holds very good in fact there are still some on some of the trees now , zone 4 maybe its limit though have had some issues with winter , sweet ,crunch, alittle banana flavor , not car resistant , have been getting a few trees on g41 roots and they seem to winter better.

Of coarse we spray for scab but have found that scab can be controlled some without heavy fungicide sprays, timly sulfur spray and we use a product called oxidate organic approved formulation of hydro peroxide , strickly a contact product but works well if timed right.[/QUOTE

Of coarse we spray for scab but have found that scab can be controlled some without heavy fungicide sprays, timly sulfur spray and we use a product called oxidate organic approved formulation of hydro peroxide , strickly a contact product but works well if timed right.

I can not send you a Pm. Can you legally share scion from BB?

Bonnie best is not protected by patent as it is so old it pre dates all patent law in apples,, contact thru web site , e-mail or other

Bonnie best is not protected by patent as it is so old it pre dates all patent law in apples,, contact thru web site , e-mail or other
email sent, Thanks!

Congrat on being Mn. Farm Family of the Year!

Order update:
Adding 10 Manchurian Crab whips for pollination and windbreak. Ordered them from Lincoln Oaks. Thinking of starting these in 5 ft. tubes for the first year - quicker planting.
One last update: added 25 more B.118 root stock and Hewe's crab scion. Bring on the spring!:cool:!

Grafting
Golden hornet, centenial, YATES, horse, Liberty, arkansas black, and a wild mo Apple

Planting
2 dolgo, 2 enterprise, 1 Liberty, 1 unknown that I grafted and lost the tag to last spring

Still looking for some Kerr an wickedson scions to graft

Jordan - I have 2 Kerr at camp but they're only 1st leaf. I'll look at them when I get up to camp again to see if I can get a stick or 2 from them. I should be back up to camp in a week or 2. Can't promise, so if you get a source before then - jump on it !! I'll let you know what they look like.

Jordan - I have 2 Kerr at camp but they're only 1st leaf. I'll look at them when I get up to camp again to see if I can get a stick or 2 from them. I should be back up to camp in a week or 2. Can't promise, so if you get a source before then - jump on it !! I'll let you know what they look like.
Tks Bnb! Lemme know and I will keep looking in the mean time. If you are interested in any scions from the list above Lemme know!

Grafting
Golden hornet, centenial, YATES, horse, Liberty, arkansas black, and a wild mo Apple

Planting
2 dolgo, 2 enterprise, 1 Liberty, 1 unknown that I grafted and lost the tag to last spring

Still looking for some Kerr an wickedson scions to graft
Jordan

I can get you Kerr. My Kerr has been pumping out apples for years now and I should have lots of scion wood and I haven't pruned it yet

Jordan

I can get you Kerr. My Kerr has been pumping out apples for years now and I should have lots of scion wood and I haven't pruned it yet
Ok tks Aero! I will PM u my address. How do you like your Kerr tree! ? Im trying to focus more on crabs at my farm and edibles at my house