What type of apple trees are you planting / grafting in 2016

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
Here's my plan for apple trees this year. Planting the following from Cummins on B.118 root stock:
9 - Cortland
11 - Golden Russet
4 - Wolf River
1 - Asmead's Kernel (replacement)

50 - Root stock (B.118) grafting the following:
Empire
Honey Gold
Haralson
Idared
Wickson
Ashmead's Kernel
Dabinett
Browns Apple
Ellis Bitter

What are your plans?

I ordered one Prairie Magic tree.
Other than that, GRIN crabs for grafting to research what is hardy in northern central Mn. and which have good CAR resistance.

Graft about 440 apples, 200 pears, 50 cherries and 50 plum and peaches. :)

The usual varieties, some GRIN selections and alot of custom work for individuals.

Dabinett, Wickson, Hooples Antique Golden, Black Arkansas, and King David.

I'll be getting 110 apple rootstocks & 10 pear rootstocks. Have about 40 different varieties of apple sicons either ordered or trades lined up so far and several varieties of pear scion coming in trades. And of course Band Aids ready for the first slip of the grafting knife "ouch" :eek:.:)

For the Apple plot;
10 B118 rootstock for grafting Goldrush, Sweet 16, Williams pride

For the orchard;

1 G969 Honeycrisp
1 G11 Black Oxford
1 G935 Pixie Crunch
1 G222 Ashmead's kernel

All from Cummins Nursery

Last edited:
have about 125 grafted whips, about 35 vintage varieties, in nursery to plant in late February. Will be grafting another 100, about 40 new vintage varieties, late winter.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 15
My order from SLN was

State fair
Crimson beauty
wolf river
Norkent
Noran
Yellow transparent
Snowswert
Honeygold
Brown Betty
All winter hangover
Centennial
Violis hanging crab

I have 50 B118 and 50 M111 coming, some Geneva and 3 OHxF87 pear. I don't have a complete plan yet. Maybe half get bench grafted and the rest planted for T-budding or maybe cleft grafting next spring. Pear will get grafted later. Maybe I will put a few into a nursery at the house but I'd prefer to plant everything I can at its final location instead.

What I bench graft will depend what I get scionwood for. I will bench graft some columnar apples onto M111 but I won't have much scionwood to work with. For regular apples, my focus is Euro and American cider varieties and some later PRI Co-op varieties on B118 which will pretty much fill my orchard...probably a few spots left for other crabs or earlier DR apples. I have various rootstock scions on my USDA order that I will play with too.

One sour cherry coming from Cummins to replace one that died.

SLN order: 2 Centenial Crab, Centurion Crab, Violi's Crab, Prairie Spy

0.....I've got enough! I am finishing switching some Gala to Zestar!.

Maya - BOOOOOOO !! ( Kidding ) How many trees do you have in the orchard(s) ?? I think we'll be done planting ( apples ) at camp after this spring's trees. We'll be at 60 or 61.

This spring's trees are: 2 Liberty, 2 Galarina, and 1 each All-Winter Hangover, Winter Wildlife, Priscilla, Centennial, Kerr, Wickson, Winecrisp, Sundance, and Crimson Topaz. Gonna graft a couple late hanging apples of unknown name that I have access to. B-118 and MM-111 rootstocks. Nurseries where we got this year's order: Cummins, SLN, ACN.

I forgot to add that I'll be planting 3 SLN crabs.

I plan on trying to graft for the first time this year, and plan to grafting a medium size wild red apple that is growing next to my neighbors dog kennel, and drops from late october into november, i call these Dog s--t apples, I also found a tree in a farmers pasture that has huge yellow apples on it and are still falling, the tree still had a lot hanging on it when i drove by last week.

Kieffer x 5
Chestnut crab x 3

I have 32 trees to cage. Most DR varieties along with a few cider varieties. I also have 25 B.118 rootstock comming that I am going to plant and cage and allow to grow as is. I wanted dolgo seedlings or rootstock but couldn't find any so the B.118 experiment will start. They will line my two new deep woods plots.

I have 32 trees to cage. Most DR varieties along with a few cider varieties. I also have 25 B.118 rootstock comming that I am going to plant and cage and allow to grow as is. I wanted dolgo seedlings or rootstock but couldn't find any so the B.118 experiment will start. They will line my two new deep woods plots.

Chummer, I assume you are mixing the B118 with the grafted trees in your plots. Just B.118 and you won't have any cross-pollination. If you had seedling rootstock or dolgo, they'd all be happy together.

I will be planting 20 trees from Cummins on B-118 and P.18 rootstock:

Enterprise - 5
King David - 3
Goldrush -2
Pixie Crunch - 2
Galarina -1
Crimson Topaz - 1
Zestar! - 1
JNC DRC South - 1
Liberty - 1
Florina Querina - 1
Honeycrisp - 1
Keepsake -1

Can't say enough about their product, web-site and customer service. Tino has been most accommodating as I made adjustments to my order. This will get me to about 100 apple and pear trees in the ground. I also have about 30 grafted trees and will be grafting 50 more this spring. My grafting interest grew from a desire to replicate a wild tree on the property that we call "Swamp Apple." Since I'm out of room, most of the grafted trees will be planted on a recently-acquired family property about a mile away with lots of open space for trees. ;-)

Here's my plan for apple trees this year. Planting the following from Cummins on B.118 root stock:
9 - Cortland
11 - Golden Russet
4 - Wolf River
1 - Asmead's Kernel (replacement)

50 - Root stock (B.118) grafting the following:
Empire
Honey Gold
Haralson
Idared
Wickson
Ashmead's Kernel
Dabinett
Browns Apple
Ellis Bitter

What are your plans?
Order update:
Adding 10 Manchurian Crab whips for pollination and windbreak. Ordered them from Lincoln Oaks. Thinking of starting these in 5 ft. tubes for the first year - quicker planting.

Maya - BOOOOOOO !! ( Kidding ) How many trees do you have in the orchard(s) ?? I think we'll be done planting ( apples ) at camp after this spring's trees. We'll be at 60 or 61.

This spring's trees are: 2 Liberty, 2 Galarina, and 1 each All-Winter Hangover, Winter Wildlife, Priscilla, Centennial, Kerr, Wickson, Winecrisp, Sundance, and Crimson Topaz. Gonna graft a couple late hanging apples of unknown name that I have access to. B-118 and MM-111 rootstocks. Nurseries where we got this year's order: Cummins, SLN, ACN.

Too many! 100's for deer and 1200+ in Outback Orchard. I do enjoy planting but to many other things to work on and purchase this year. New mower for one thing.