What to plant in March

weekender21

5 year old buck +
I'm increasing the size of a plot next month. I'd like to get something covering the ground as soon as it's cleared. I'm planning on planting spring oats, WR, and maybe some MRC. The plot is in the mountains of western NC, elevation about 3k, zone 6a. Soil has a PH of 5.6 so lime is a no brainer. If the cereal grains look thin in June I can add buckwheat. The average last frost is May 11th but it can be as late as early June.

Any other ideas?

First thing that comes to mind for that part of the world, given the elevation, is soil temperature. Optimum germination for oats occurs at about 50-degrees at 2-inches. You can throw down the seed you mention, its a good choice, but you may or may not get the stand you expect. Clover will sit and wait for the situation to be near ideal - hence the popularity of frost seeding. Small grains are less able to wait.

Id skip the WR an go with barley for spring app.

Like to save WR for fall due to its cold hardiness an spring regeneration.

But we are in to different worlds weather wise.

Maybe let the weeds and natural seed take hold, spray it to kill it and use buckwheat in late spring or early summer. I’d think you could try a double crop the buckwheat.

I'm increasing the size of a plot next month. I'd like to get something covering the ground as soon as it's cleared. I'm planning on planting spring oats, WR, and maybe some MRC. The plot is in the mountains of western NC, elevation about 3k, zone 6a. Soil has a PH of 5.6 so lime is a no brainer. If the cereal grains look thin in June I can add buckwheat. The average last frost is May 11th but it can be as late as early June.

Any other ideas?

Surface broadcast your lime as soon as possible. Now would be great if you have frozen ground. I'd definitely add a legume like MRC. An annual clover like crimson would be a good fit as well. Another thing I've been experimenting with is Sunn Hemp. It is too soon for me to recommend it, but I plan to plant it in a mix with Buckwheat this year.

Thanks,

Jack

Frost seed a fast growing annual clover that can do well in poor soil. Frosty Berseem would be an excellent choice as would Fixation.

Thanks for all the advice so far. If the annual cereal grain and clover don't do well I can terminate and plant buckwheat in June. Whatever I plant, I will document and share the result. I should probably start a property tour on here at some point.