What to do with Chestnut Seedlings Over Winter?

meyerske

5 year old buck +
I have a number of chestnut seedings that range from 8" tall to 18" tall. I'd like to see them a bit bigger before I plant them permanently. They are currently potted. What should I do with them over winter? Plant them in a temporary, protected spot until they get bigger?

I get them out of the wind and mulch them with hay or straw, give them a good drive of water before mulching.

I’m in Arkansas and have had great luck planting in sept/oct. Everyone has different situation I know but I don’t see the point in trying to winter them if you are able to plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with above......unless you want to keep them in pots for another growing season

bill

I need to clear some trees before planting the little chestnut trees. The area won't be ready until spring.

I need to clear some trees before planting the little chestnut trees. The area won't be ready until spring.

I got ya. Well I’ve never over wintered honestly as i always fall plant. But seems most mulch in with good success. How far north you live?

I got ya. Well I’ve never over wintered honestly as i always fall plant. But seems most mulch in with good success. How far north you live?

Southern Ohio

I have a number of chestnut seedings that range from 8" tall to 18" tall. I'd like to see them a bit bigger before I plant them permanently. They are currently potted. What should I do with them over winter? Plant them in a temporary, protected spot until they get bigger?

It depends on your location. Here, I've simply put my rootmakers in a raised flower bed and cover the containers with mulch. It is against the house. I had not issues. I now have a room in the house dedicated to cold storage. I keep the door closed of and sealed pretty good and simply open an outside window in that room. It stays above freezing but not warm enough for trees to break dormancy.

THanks,

Jack

I put up a temporary greenhouse made with the colored fiberglass corrugated 2’x8’ sheets that let a little light through.
I put a tarp on a north facing fence to block the wind, take the sheets and overlap the corrugations one time and screw the corrugations into a 1x2 . Then screwed the panels to the fence angling out at less than a 45 degrees. Then made 2 right angle doors that were hinged to the fence. It was probably 4’ x 10’ and I put the tallest seedlings against the fence and the shortest out front. They were all heeled in with mulch and my trees have made it through 3 winters fine. The spring is much more difficult here because you have to be careful with a greenhouse getting too hot and the seedlings leafing out too early. I’ve had that problem in the past and that’s why you need to be able to open the ends so it doesn’t get too hot. Our coldest temps were @ 7 degrees last year and they all made it fine. 1x2’s may not be thick enough if you get heavy snowfalls, we don’t get more that 3-4 “ normally. It’s heavy ice storms we worry about.