What size orchard ladder for B.118 trees?

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
All of my trees are on B.118 root stock (around 230 - oldest are in 6th leaf) what size orchard ladder should I get? Looking at 10 or 12 ft Hasegawa, thinking 12, but I haven’t seen them in person. Thanks!

Never thought about buying an actual orchard ladder, you made me look at the thought... in looking at them and the price; It would not take much to convert a section from an old shorter extension ladder into one or two ladders.

Also interested in this as well, although my home orchard is young, they are all on b118, m111, m106, I'm gunna need a good ladder.

For some reason me an laddrers dont get along. Would need both hands to count the number of times I have fallen off from either them breaking, tipping, or sheer randomness.

And that was all fine an dandy while young and spry. But by the time they are producing in volume, that will likely not be the case. Ha

Tractor and loader?

I've always been able to get enough of what I needed for personal use off the lower reachable branches but Im going to start doing ciders in the maybe near future and will be upping the volume I will be harvesting so ladders will be a future thought. I just never really thought about tri-pod ladders.

I’m building a pallet-based platform that I can lift with my forks on the front of my kubota b2650. I have ladders but think a raised platform will give more stability and will give me room to place apples I pick.

Will most likely build or buy a platform for my Kubota, but also need a ladder as I am often working in the orchard by myself. Plus not so sure how safe I will feel with my wife operating the loader/platform :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Appleman!! I am looking at the same brand. There is a vendor about 2 hours away from my home so I can save some money on shipping but need to drive 4 hours. Do you think the 12 footer would be a hassle to work with? Total length is over 13 feet with a base of 4 3/4 ft.
Thank you!!

Will most likely build or buy a platform for my Kubota, but also need a ladder as I am often working in the orchard by myself. Plus not so sure how safe I will feel with my wife operating the loader/platform :emoji_wink:

Agreed. I intend to build a little portable wooden ladder to get up to the platform, I hope to make it attachable to be separate from the platform. I will post pics on here when I get around to building it.

Agreed. I intend to build a little portable wooden ladder to get up to the platform, I hope to make it attachable to be separate from the platform. I will post pics on here when I get around to building it.
Look forward to the photos!

Thanks for the reply Appleman!! I am looking at the same brand. There is a vendor about 2 hours away from my home so I can save some money on shipping but need to drive 4 hours. Do you think the 12 footer would be a hassle to work with? Total length is over 13 feet with a base of 4 3/4 ft.
Thank you!!
For easy setup and transporting I find the 10 footer to be great. I used a 12 footer once and didn't care for it. Hard to maneuver and found it a bit heavy.

For easy setup and transporting I find the 10 footer to be great. I used a 12 footer once and didn't care for it. Hard to maneuver and found it a bit heavy.

Agree.
I have a stokes 8, 10, and 12.
10’ is definitely my favorite. I have b118, emla 106, m7, and mm111.

The 12’ is great but like you said a bit harder to maneuver and 90% of the time I can get what I need from the 10’.

Plus I heard the ER bill is cheaper when you fall from 10’ instead of 12 .

Thanks Appleman - I appreciate the feedback!!

Agree.
I have a stokes 8, 10, and 12.
10’ is definitely my favorite. I have b118, emla 106, m7, and mm111.

The 12’ is great but like you said a bit harder to maneuver and 90% of the time I can get what I need from the 10’.

Plus I heard the ER bill is cheaper when you fall from 10’ instead of 12 .

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated!! Going to start with the 10 footer based on feedback from you and Appleman, will contact the dealer tomorrow.
Thanks again!!

Bought a 10 ft. Hasegawa ladder Saturday. Let the picking begin!
7D26D6DE-8EFB-40C6-8756-4B85EFF26BED.jpeg

Looks like a solid ladder :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks huge, where would I store that lol

Try one of these and stay on the ground!
69d1cb1d0197662eab474825e9348bf1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That’s much cheaper option for picking