Plot size???

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
Now that hunting season is over, my head is thinking about my next improvements. I walked my 80 twice this weekend and planned out 2 small plots. One will be in the oak ridge and the other in my SW corner.

My question is what size to make the plots. I have stand locations for both areas. Luckily, both plots have nice areas for a stand right in the middle length wise. So here is my idea.

Oak plot= 30x30 yards. The stand would be set back 10 yards so the longest shot would be 42 yards to the corner. Plot size= .18 acre.
SW Corner=40x20 yards The stand would be set back 10 and the longest shot would be 36 yards to the corners. Plot size=.16 acre.

Both locations are flat benches so the shape I'm looking at is square and rectangle. I can't make big shapes if I'm planning on bow hunting, because I will not be able to cover all the plot.

I read a lot about 1/8 acre plots (.125 acre) but to me, I feel if I'm renting a mulcher, I should make them a little bigger. I know the edges will not always grow the best crops so when it is done, I'm guessing they will be a little smaller than planned.

For archery hunting, are these plots too big or too small?

Thanks guys.

Supposedly 10% should be in plots. Going by that metric you need about 8 acres total.

You can always change the size to make them more huntable with archery equipment. Go with a kidney bean shape and set the narrow part up to be most advantageous to your hunting and winds. Make that narrow part still wide enough that deer are comfortable passing through it (i.e. 20 yards wide if you're tree is 10 yards back in the woods = 30 yard shot). it's also best if your pinch-point or corner is part of a terrain or cover feature that makes bucks have to go from one part of the field to the other to see if there are does in it. I have a similar field setup (it's about 1 .5 acres in size) - image on the left. My only challenge is getting the deer to feed throughout the plot. My pinchpoint has the best clover right now. I'm going to fix that next year.

You could also also do something similar and leave a strip between 2 plots, or a corner where deer will funnel through (think ag fields and woodlots like the image on the right). You can divide your sizes up by 2 or make 3 or more sections side by side After all, you're starting from scratch. Building something that can be hunted from multiple winds isn't a bad idea either:

1670867647668.png

Or you could make 1 plot and multiple wide trails that are also planted. I need to wait a few years but this is my plan. I had a guy come out to talk about logging but the growth I have just isn't profitable yet to do it:

1670867929652.png

Both locations are flat benches so the shape I'm looking at is square and rectangle. I can't make big shapes if I'm planning on bow hunting, because I will not be able to cover all the plot.

I don't understand that logic?

If you are hunting a plot that small, you will be on top of the deer ... scent, wind, movement, slight noise, etc. will all impact deer senses. Can't imagine that little of food will be around very long. Bucks could also stage in the shadows, see/scent everything and not enter till dark.

You would be better off hinge cutting to funnel movement and setting up off the plot on entry exit location. Or over seeding their trail and hunting down wind from them.

I have small plots like what you're planning. two of mine are only about 1/20th of an acre and the other one is about 1/4 acre. How's your deer population and surrounding ag? If you have a high deer population or I think more importantly no surrounding destination ag, the plots will get wiped out quick. You're also kind of limited to what you can grow. Anything that is really desirable, like soy bean, peas, etc. will just get wiped out immediately. I've found, cereals, clover, chicory, turnips and radish still last. I just checked mine yesterday and they all have greens left. I use mine more as like staging areas before they get to the destination fields. Mine don't get used for days at a time but then I'll get a pic of 10 deer in one of them.

I like smaller plots like these. They are fun and do improve hunting. They are similar to a watering hole or bait site meaning they just help direct a larger portion of the traffic in the area by your stand. They are not destination plots or something that will feed the deer consistently or through winter.

You are spot on that the edges don't produce much. Clover and winter wye does better in the shade, so this would be my focus. Don't worry about summer plots except the perennial clover. I would plan a 10-15' strip of clover around the edge where little sunlight will get to and overseed this area with rye at the end of august. In the middle you could do a patch of brassicas or other fall blend because this area gets a few more hours of sunlight per day. Or just do the clover/rye combo throughout.

I see you just want kill plots. Then please disregard my comment about 10%---that's only if you're trying to help the herd and have enough "extra" food on the property. I will add that even on bigger plots that are not able to be covered completely from one position/stand, you can still find the trails they use to get to the plots and set up on travel routes. Seems like the biggest deer use staging areas in the woods and hang around there until it's getting dark and then show up on a plot.

I think you’re thinking right and wrong at the same time.

You don’t have to have every inch of the plot shootable with a bow. You want funnels and pinch points for this, but I’ve never once made a plot and thought later “man I wish this spot was smaller.”

I rented skid and made a bunch of plots last year. Later I had someone out there with a dozer making them all bigger!

I like kill plots, but they don’t function same as a destination plot. They are typically just emough something on a travel path for bucks to stop for a second too and from bedding. So sometimes don’t even need a plot. Just hinge cuts and plantings to herd them by your stand. Maybe a feeder or some licks to slow them for a second.

With plantings in kill plots, I like longer and thinner with pinch point in middle like drawn above. I also like clover and grains only because anything smaller will get wiped out with small plots.

Good luck! Sounds like you’ll have some fun!

I think for these plots they are very specific for the purpose of killing deer...they are not intended to feed deer all the year long. So make sure that the food you put in them is palatable during the time when you will be hunting them. (Clovers and grains for the bow season and brassicas for later...just combine all 3 they can do well together!) We have several of these plots and they have been very productive, but only because they hold does well into the rut and the bucks come cruising because they know the does will be there. Also, be sure not to hunt them too much or even the does will start to stay away (we have learned this the hard way)...

You might be better off hunting off the plot as well. I've found that buck treat these the same as bedding areas during the rut. They'll just cruise downwind of them to see if any does are there. My first plot I put in, I put right along a trail and natural travel corridor. I've been amazed at how differently the deer use it now. They rarely use it as I had originally set it up for them to use.

Just be prepared for it to be a work in progress after you put it in.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the deer bed on mine, then travel to the ag on the neighbors. (my fence line). What I have seen in 2 years is that once on my land they wonder and then bed for day only to get up and head to the neighbors. My thoughts are to have a place in the middle of bedding and the ag for them to hit quick as they head out. I also have mostly slashing for timber so this hopefully will funnel them past me as they are moving. I will try to find a picture to post.

One plot will be in the NW area of the land and one in the SW corner. The picture has north on top.

Attachments

• land.PNG
    land.PNG
    833.9 KB · Views: 41
Lastly, I have travel corridors that parallel the property and the deer are using them frequently. I hunt the outer edges and leave the center alone all season long. I have permission to walk the fields to the south and west to access my land as well.

My biggest reasoning for the small plots are to hopefully have deer travel through as they head to the big ag. Without cutting plots, I'm trying to make shots in spots where I can only see 10 yards max.

If the areas in question are "benches" then I would assume you have pretty defined trails leading to and from these areas? As such make the plots as big as is realistic and then hunt the trails leading to these plots. This works really well because the deer move past you and thus you reduce the risk of bumping deer when you enter and exit your stand. I understand we all like watching deer....but at the end of the day....we are there to kill deer...not watch them. If you don't have well defined trails already....then you may find it difficult to lure the deer into these benches in my opinion.

Hopefully these pictures help. The small green boxes are the potential plots. I would access the north one from Cedar Ave and and the south one from the field on the south. The white trails are deer trails that are used the most in the areas that I marked while scouting. The red line is the old logging road. There is an L shape plot that is already on the land. It is 1 acre. The goal is to not feed deer but to funnel deer past me. I also plan on hunting trails around the plot. By no means is it meant to have someone sitting over it all season. The deer movement is typically east and west. East in the morning and west in the afternoon. Again, thanks for all the info and ideas. I really like the thought of a kidney bean or hour glass shape plot with a stand in the middle of the hour glass.

Attachments

• north end of land.png
    north end of land.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • South end of land.png
    South end of land.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
I like how they are near the more outer edges of the property....so hopefully you can keep the central core alone for the deer to feel safe. Both locations seem to have at least one major wind direction that should work for you as well. I personally like to have multiple if possible, but that isn't always the case. Looks like the north location should hunt and access well with a wind from the south to southwest and the one in the south looks like it will do well with a wind from the north and northeast....all depending on terrain and the like. Hills make the wind do funny things. You may want to get some milkweed seed and see how the wind acts in these areas when the wind comes from different directions. Last thing you want is a wind that seams safe and then swirls back into your plot.... Kill plots do you know good if you can't hunt them without spooking the deer.

30x30 and oak trees does not equal alot of light.

Lots of AG is easy, either be the only good safe cover in the area, or be the late season food.

What kind of soil do you have? Seeing that creek by you, I'd do some timber harvest by the creek and start making some good thick stuff. If it's like NY and PA, plant some thick stuff, then in the center put a few white pines. Work at makin the soil under the pines smooth and maybe grab some pine needles and make the bed more comfortable to be in. In PA state forests it's almost like clockwork. See a fluke spot of medium sized pines, there's deer under them.

I like how they are near the more outer edges of the property....so hopefully you can keep the central core alone for the deer to feel safe. Both locations seem to have at least one major wind direction that should work for you as well. I personally like to have multiple if possible, but that isn't always the case. Looks like the north location should hunt and access well with a wind from the south to southwest and the one in the south looks like it will do well with a wind from the north and northeast....all depending on terrain and the like. Hills make the wind do funny things. You may want to get some milkweed seed and see how the wind acts in these areas when the wind comes from different directions. Last thing you want is a wind that seams safe and then swirls back into your plot.... Kill plots do you know good if you can't hunt them without spooking the deer.
The idea that you shared with the wind is correct. The land if flat and I have hunted these areas before and know that on the south wind, it heads right to the road and on a north wind, it goes to the big field. I want them the plots on the edge so I can slip in and out with as few steps as possible and a smaller chance of the deer getting behind me.

Hopefully these pictures help. The small green boxes are the potential plots. I would access the north one from Cedar Ave and and the south one from the field on the south. The white trails are deer trails that are used the most in the areas that I marked while scouting. The red line is the old logging road. There is an L shape plot that is already on the land. It is 1 acre. The goal is to not feed deer but to funnel deer past me. I also plan on hunting trails around the plot. By no means is it meant to have someone sitting over it all season. The deer movement is typically east and west. East in the morning and west in the afternoon. Again, thanks for all the info and ideas. I really like the thought of a kidney bean or hour glass shape plot with a stand in the middle of the hour glass.
I personally like the idea!

Having something green that may be a bit diverse from the AG fields is a nice attractant - definitely go with clover as a main component (that's my $0.02). It is easy to get going/manage and it comes back for serval years before you have to seed again. Don't get caught up in the "it must look like a magazine cover", get a good amount of clover in the whole plot (it will withstand browsing fairly well too) and you'll have some weeds - that's okay.

As someone else said, you're looking at these to be staging/kill plots. Getting good bucks into a plot when they are used to woods is tough but you have AG so they might be easily accustomed to the new plots. I like the way you laid out the southwest where there is an L shape. Bucks will cruise a corner, they tend to scent check fields rather than just go busting in and looking around. Consider that and your predominant wind when laying things out.

Get in there late winter and do some cutting. The deer will hit the tops of anything you cut and you will be closer to ready when the spring warm-up starts.

Enjoy!