Plot size???

Our property has a 1.5 acre plot, a square 1/2 acre and I just made a 1/4 acre plot last year. The square shaped plot is absolutely useless for hunting. It's wide open and has a pretty mature canopy so there isn't a lot of undergrowth. The deer won't go into it during daylight. The 1.5 acre and 1/4 acre have an hourglass shape to them. Two years ago I started feathering the edge, clearing all the small stuff about 5 yards in and cutting out a lot of the middle age trees in a staggered matter 5-20 yards in. We have seen much more daylight activity in that plot since doing it. More so because of that than anything I've planted. The small one in the woods had a ton of traffic because it had a lot of bedding and cover nearby.
If I make any other small plots on the property, I'll go with the hourglass. Deer like that pinch point, and I've had success with them.

You'll never compete with ag, and the ag won't compete with those oaks when the acorns are dropping. If you have food nearby, and it looks like you have water, I'd focus on giving them cover. Putting in plots takes a lot of work. Putting in cover requires getting sun to the ground and that's it.

Not to hijack the thread but the 10% rule and common approach is to place plots in between bedding and destination food…. What should the location and ratio be for non-ag areas like big woods?

Not to hijack the thread but the 10% rule and common approach is to place plots in between bedding and destination food…. What should the location and ratio be for non-ag areas like big woods?
You know, I think 10-20% rule is for big woods. If near big ag I would probably do no plots, and do all bedding and create paths to the bedding leading to/from ag and hunt the paths.

I think your plan is pretty good. Just be flexible. The deer might not do exactly what you want them to do, so you might have to adjust. The locations seem good. If it were my place, I would just put the plots in and see what happens, then take the next step after saw how the deer react. You might have to hunt trail or feather the plot edges, as mentioned previously. I would start with good soil-building mix the first year. Add at least some tillage radish and crimson clover to a base of Perennial clover, cereal grain, and forage brassica.

Our property has a 1.5 acre plot, a square 1/2 acre and I just made a 1/4 acre plot last year. The square shaped plot is absolutely useless for hunting. It's wide open and has a pretty mature canopy so there isn't a lot of undergrowth. The deer won't go into it during daylight. The 1.5 acre and 1/4 acre have an hourglass shape to them. Two years ago I started feathering the edge, clearing all the small stuff about 5 yards in and cutting out a lot of the middle age trees in a staggered matter 5-20 yards in. We have seen much more daylight activity in that plot since doing it. More so because of that than anything I've planted. The small one in the woods had a ton of traffic because it had a lot of bedding and cover nearby.
If I make any other small plots on the property, I'll go with the hourglass. Deer like that pinch point, and I've had success with them.

You'll never compete with ag, and the ag won't compete with those oaks when the acorns are dropping. If you have food nearby, and it looks like you have water, I'd focus on giving them cover. Putting in plots takes a lot of work. Putting in cover requires getting sun to the ground and that's it.
Would love to see some photos of what you're describing. I'm a planning junkie and chainsaw work is fairly easy.

Thanks again for all the help. Thinking about it more, I feel that the plot shape will not be a box but more of a bowtie or horizontal 8. I think that by necking down the middle, it will put deer a little further out for shots if needed and not right at 10-15 yards but more like 20-30. I also think a mock scrape in the middle of a 10-15 yard funnel will make for a great set up.

I do feel that older bucks will not use it but because it is close to bedding and they walk out into the big ag fields during daylight, I might be able to catch them in the plot during hunting hours.

Thanks again for all the help. Thinking about it more, I feel that the plot shape will not be a box but more of a bowtie or horizontal 8. I think that by necking down the middle, it will put deer a little further out for shots if needed and not right at 10-15 yards but more like 20-30. I also think a mock scrape in the middle of a 10-15 yard funnel will make for a great set up.

I do feel that older bucks will not use it but because it is close to bedding and they walk out into the big ag fields during daylight, I might be able to catch them in the plot during hunting hours.
The big one's will use it in the daylight as long as they feel secure. Feather the edges, make the the travel corridors nice and thick on the way to it from bedding. Limit pressure and/or have a bulletproof way in and out.

Would love to see some photos of what you're describing. I'm a planning junkie and chainsaw work is fairly easy.
I'll dig through my photos. I know I have some of the plot construction but don't know if I have any of the edge feathering. If you google "edge feathering for wildlife" you're going to get a ton of resources. I honestly used my brush cutter more than anything knocking back right at the edge of the plot. The results on one side of the plot were so good I am planning on getting the other side and the small "square" plot this winter.

This video is a lot like my plot. The land and legacy guys aren't far from me, so the terrain is very similar.

Last edited:
As far as plot shapes go, i watched this video the other day and thought he made some great points about choosing a L or boomerang shape over an hourglass shape. Food for thought.

I think you have a great setup with fantastic access. I would be a little cautious on the south end because any northerly wind will be blowing into the ag land and may cause you some problems depending on how you plan to get out.

Otherwise, it looks like it should work great. Many notorious big buck killers point to "kill plots" inside of the timber as areas that mature bucks feel safe and consequently vulnerable during daylight hours. Bonus if you can figure out a way to hunt it in the morning as well. Good luck!

I'll dig through my photos. I know I have some of the plot construction but don't know if I have any of the edge feathering. If you google "edge feathering for wildlife" you're going to get a ton of resources. I honestly used my brush cutter more than anything knocking back right at the edge of the plot. The results on one side of the plot were so good I am planning on getting the other side and the small "square" plot this winter.

This video is a lot like my plot. The land and legacy guys aren't far from me, so the terrain is very similar.

Thanks. I watched those. Gives me some ideas.