All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Mistakes Did You Make When buying Your Hunting Property?

One important consideration. The old "I can hunt on Andy's land" so I don't need to buy a farm...

I've seen that go south fast. Hard to rely on that. Things change.

Thanks Kenny, I have always thought you make your deal when you buy your land. Buy it right and you should do well with it. How did you find land auctions?

I checked the local auction company websites every other week and they list upcoming auctions. It took a few years to find the right one. There are also a few sites you can sign up with to see new auctions, I think landwatch is one. I bought my property through Sullivan Auctioneers and had a good experience. But like someone said earlier you want to have financing in place etc before bidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked the local auction company websites every other week and they list upcoming auctions. It took a few years to find the right one. There are also a few sites you can sign up with to see new auctions, I think landwatch is one. I bought my property through Sullivan Auctioneers and had a good experience. But like someone said earlier you want to have financing in place etc before bidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Kenny, I Need to educate myself before I move on a property. Thanks for the info.

I would also call around and find out who hunts neighboring properties. If your goal is to harvest mature bucks and your neighbors shoot everything that walks, that can be frustrating, especially if their property has bedding that you can't compete with. Somewhat off topic, I live near many of the areas being discussed on here. Currently I reside in Adams County, Illinois. I am often in Brown, Hancock, and Pike counties here in Illinois and travel regularly to Marion, Clark, and Lewis Counties in Missouri. I've always lived in this area and my employment has me interacting with all sorts of realtors, auctioneers, landowners. If anyone is ever in need of a local to check up on things let me know and I might be able to oblige.

I purchased 120 acres in MO in 2007, about 2 hours from my KS home. Good neighbors, one who really watches, and great Conservation Agent who has keys to the property.

I like the advice being given here, and very happy to have purchased in MO. That being said, I wish as others pointed out, that I had a creek running through the property. I have a 3 acre pond, but the ground is mainly upland. When it has not rained for awhile, the deer move off the property where a creek runs and the plants have better moisture content. Have had a really slow year since early October since it has not rained but .5" since then! Also agree to have east-west and north-south ridges, if possible.

Agree with what some others said about who you let hunt with you. Mt wife and I purchased it alone, our lawyer prevented me from buying with a friend. Man, we are glad we listened to him!! The best relationships can change really quick.

This year I started not even letting my brother-in-law come. It is closed to everyone. I am a serious hunter, and when a guy will just walk through all of your timber, right during the rut, after telling him not to, well, you get the idea. If you are a serious hunter, and it is a small parcel, deer really are affected by intrusions. With that in mind, my advice is to buy solo, and keep it to yourself unless the property is several hundred acres or larger.

Best wishes!

[QUOTE="Fall's Legend, post: 127574, member: 1870".

This year I started not even letting my brother-in-law come. It is closed to everyone. I am a serious hunter, and when a guy will just walk through all of your timber, right during the rut, after telling him not to, well, you get the idea. If you are a serious hunter, and it is a small parcel, deer really are affected by intrusions. With that in mind, my advice is to buy solo, and keep it to yourself unless the property is several hundred acres or larger.

Best wishes![/QUOTE]

It took me 10 years to get this. But after having rules ignored for that long I get in now. I'm already looking forward to next November. Over the years a very select few have followed my plan. That very select few is all that will be back.

I purchased 120 acres in MO in 2007, about 2 hours from my KS home. Good neighbors, one who really watches, and great Conservation Agent who has keys to the property.

I like the advice being given here, and very happy to have purchased in MO. That being said, I wish as others pointed out, that I had a creek running through the property. I have a 3 acre pond, but the ground is mainly upland. When it has not rained for awhile, the deer move off the property where a creek runs and the plants have better moisture content. Have had a really slow year since early October since it has not rained but .5" since then! Also agree to have east-west and north-south ridges, if possible.

Agree with what some others said about who you let hunt with you. Mt wife and I purchased it alone, our lawyer prevented me from buying with a friend. Man, we are glad we listened to him!! The best relationships can change really quick.

Best wishes!
Agree on the moisture, succulent green plants are a great draw when your in a dry year.

In addition the soil you have is key to having successful food sources. What did you guys do to make certain you were looking in the right area and importantly keeping away from areas where the soil is poor? I imagine Missouri is much like many states and the soils can really vary.

Based on a view of online properties it seems there are allot of ridge-top properties which I would think have poorer soils.

I did have the soil profiles before purchasing. It leans towards clay, but is fairly deep. I have limed, green manured several times and do have decent yields. It really is the lack of moisture. I am thinking about irrigating two acres of the plot, nearest my 3 acre, 16' deep pond. I can do it fairly inexpensively, and this might be a game changer. Problem is, there is always more to do! Thanks.

Fall's, perhaps inexpensive swimming pools sunk in the ground and filled periodically with water could mitigate the lack of water/deer leaving issue. Perhaps they could be hooked into your irrigation system.

Thanks Willy. They have plenty of water to drink, but when the plants lack moisture and others nearby do not, just my opinion they will opt for the more succulent plants.

I understand now, and I think your onto something with the moisture content of the plants.

One mistake a buddy of mine made was not buying a bordering property when it came up for sale. It was priced at $2,000/acre at the time. That was 3 years ago. He just got a call from the guy that bought it 3 years ago saying he wants to sell now, and wants $2,600/acre.

My buddy told the guy to send him a purchase agreement.

He learned his lesson once! LOL

Reactions: kl9
One mistake a buddy of mine made was not buying a bordering property when it came up for sale. It was priced at $2,000/acre at the time. That was 3 years ago. He just got a call from the guy that bought it 3 years ago saying he wants to sell now, and wants $2,600/acre.

My buddy told the guy to send him a purchase agreement.

He learned his lesson once! LOL

Very true! I am trying to buy an 80 that borders on of my MO farms. It has some sentimental value, since the wife was raised on the land. Not for sale now, but I think the conversation may lead to the correction of some of the issues that caused me to try and buy it. If it is ever for sale, I think I will get first chance, at least.

Very true! I am trying to buy an 80 that borders on of my MO farms. It has some sentimental value, since the wife was raised on the land. Not for sale now, but I think the conversation may lead to the correction of some of the issues that caused me to try and buy it. If it is ever for sale, I think I will get first chance, at least.

Yep, best thing is not to push too hard. I waited 8 years for a piece next to our home farm and had to pay too much for it. But at least I can say there will be no scum bag amish moving in close yet!

Yep, best thing is not to push too hard. I waited 8 years for a piece next to our home farm and had to pay too much for it. But at least I can say there will be no scum bag amish moving in close yet!

Yep. I agree, I walked the property with them and offered to buy the 80 that bordered me. They aren't ready to sell, but have agreed that the trespassers have to stop. The lady appologized about a dozen times for that, and said her Dad would roll over in his grave if she let trespassers from their farm cause a neighbor a problem. So, we'll see. They are into bird dogs, so I took them and the dogs down in my sorghum and let them point some quail. I've hooked them up with the PLC, and told them I'd drill some sorghum for them, if they get the seed. Going to be a good neighbor, and see if it pays off in the end.

Yep. I agree, I walked the property with them and offered to buy the 80 that bordered me. They aren't ready to sell, but have agreed that the trespassers have to stop. The lady appologized about a dozen times for that, and said her Dad would roll over in his grave if she let trespassers from their farm cause a neighbor a problem. So, we'll see. They are into bird dogs, so I took them and the dogs down in my sorghum and let them point some quail. I've hooked them up with the PLC, and told them I'd drill some sorghum for them, if they get the seed. Going to be a good neighbor, and see if it pays off in the end.

Funny what can happen sometimes by just talking to people. One of my neighbors hunts 2 days a year if his buddy from OK comes down. Sat and Sun of rifle. Monday he always goes back to work. It used to be Monday was also the day all the hunters from his Dads farm swooped in shot the place up. I mentioned that in a passing conversation three years ago. He had no clue. Since then his buddy hasn't been able to come down and no one has hunted the place. Free sanctuary. It also doesn't hurt that I'm usually the one right there with him elbow deep in grease when something breaks. I missed a few good November stands working on a combine but well worth it in the long run.

Just a couple more things that may help your land purchase. We do, or have done a lot of 1031 like kind land exchanges. some of you guys know about these and have used this program, some have not. One rumor is that you have to spend all the money from the sale of your property on the new property. You do not. For example, if you sell a property for $500K and buy one for $400K, and want to participate in a 1031 exchange to not pay any capitol gains, you can buy the property for less value and just pay gains on the difference. Its called a "Partial Exchange". The rules to use this program clearly state, you must name a new property with 45 days of your closing date and close within 180 days as well. This info is right from our 1031 company called Orexco.

I would agree that a presence is half the battle. Yes it would be nice to have someone mow your clover in July it's proably more important to have a truck at your front gate or some form of activity every couple weeks to make sure the neighbors don't thing they have free reign on your property.

Another thing to look out for is real estate scams. They are out there and they are real. We require a Letter of Credit or Qualification Letter from a financial institution stating the buyer is qualified for a loan up to "X" amount or has the funds in the bank. That may help in striking a deal with the seller if they know you are good to purchase and close in a reasonable amount of time. But those letters can be faked, so make sure they come on a real letterhead with a contact address and phone number so you can verify the authenticity.

Most Purchase agreements written by the buyer/buyers agent, that are presented to the seller are usually accompanied with a earnest money check. But in some states, like Missouri, and because of lots of out of state buyers and sellers, that does not always happen. All paperwork and signatures are done via email. According to the Missouri Vacant land Purchase agreement, after signing, the buyer has 10 days to provide certified funds for the earnest money to the seller, agent or closing company as stated on the PA. If that does not happen, it may be time to sell to someone else! Don't trust anyone if they start making excuses in any delay!

Bring a 5yo dead thread back to life …. I am in the stance of looking for land and decided to search the forum. This is the best thread I could find related to positive and negative tips on buying land.

Specifically I am looking in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky.

One thing I’ve noted is most properties for sale now do not offer ideal access….

I’m also wondering on what drive time matters for ownership - as the hours increase the ROI with purchase price appears to as well. Just can’t see driving 8-10hrs each way more than a couple times a year.

I know there is never enough for a working man’s budget to buy manageable herd portion tracks but is 25 enough to hunt? 40? I’d rather have the right 5 than the wrong 500… but haven’t seen a “right”
property yet, even outside my budget. I also don’t foresee taking my Atv or tractor there so if I bought 40-50-??+ could I really do any significant habitat work? Probably not.

With 7% interest and plethora of “c- “ quality ground staying on the market for months now… I’m in no hurry…. But know I want a place out of state and diversity in what’s left of my retirement portfolio.

Last edited: