what blah weather for Nov 7-8

Where is your location?

NW North Carolina. Peak breeding varies a lot in NC. The state agency started a study a few years ago, my counties peak breeding is November 22 according to their study. Our corner of the state is all pretty late even drifting into early December in parts of the mountains.

NW North Carolina. Peak breeding varies a lot in NC. The state agency started a study a few years ago, my counties peak breeding is November 22 according to their study. Our corner of the state is all pretty late even drifting into early December in parts of the mountains.

Yep, the rut can vary, What do you define from a buck activity point as "breeding" phase?

For us that generally means the bucks are on a doe and in lock down mode. Very little movement.

Yep, the rut can vary, What do you define from a buck activity point as "breeding" phase?

For us that generally means the bucks are on a doe and in lock down mode. Very little movement.

The state determines peak breeding by peak conception date so yes, lockdown. We’re somewhere around 7-10 days later than the typical Midwest and northern dates so the peak movement of the pre rut is mid November for us. While most of the country is experiencing lockdown it’s just getting started on our place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I eagerly await 5 years to draw an Iowa tag for a 10 day hunt (Nov 1-10) on prime private land and each and every day is 15 to 25 degrees above the normal average. Stupid high pressure system parked and stationary pumping hot air from the south. Every day is the same thing. Cloudless skies, relentless sun, and south wind predicted for all but 2 days and lots of rain to end our trip.
Daylight movement has been minimal. Scrapes are clean but its mostly being done at night.
I would be okay with not tagging a buck but it sure would be nice to experience some normal, exciting Iowa rutting activity. Its not looking good.

In November I'd hunt any day that the wind is right for your spot and you won't cause damage for 1 reason or another. My neighbor hunted that ridiculous wind also and had the giant come in at 20 yards and sent an arrow 1" under him. 1st miss in his young career. I've only had 1 chance to hunt this year and would love to have an opportunity even in these warm temps.

In November I'd hunt any day that the wind is right for your spot and you won't cause damage for 1 reason or another. My neighbor hunted that ridiculous wind also and had the giant come in at 20 yards and sent an arrow 1" under him. 1st miss in his young career. I've only had 1 chance to hunt this year and would love to have an opportunity even in these warm temps.
I'll try and murder a good one for you

The past three days have been low-70s, and after the cold front prior, I figured the bucks would shut down. Silly me. I've had two of my target bucks shot by neighbors during the warm spell, one hunting less than 70 yards from me (he didn't know I was there, so no big), but with only one recovered. Bucks run wild, and here I am on the sidelines helping to track what somebody else shot. I literally can't get a sit in. That's what happens when your properties are woodlots of less than 50 acres - you do the work, others sometimes reap the harvest. But maybe today is my day...

If you can hunt the first 2-3 weeks of november, do it.
end of story. The rest is details.

I don't have a buck tag anymore, so I'm not crashing into my good rut spots in the heat, but I do want to get a day or 2 to sit a good rut stand and see what's happening. I'll just wait til it cools off. No need to booger things up if I am not allowed to kill him.

I don't think that any of us that are griping about the weather are saying to not hunt.
I'm pulling 12 hour sits in mid 70s for the past week and I plan to continue, even though it will continue to hit mid 70s for the next 3 days.
Yes, anything can happen at any time in early November. But it all happens quite a bit better when temp are running the average or slightly under.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I don't think that any of us that are griping about the weather are saying to not hunt.
I'm pulling 12 hour sits in mid 70s for the past week and I plan to continue, even though it will continue to hit mid 70s for the next 3 days.
Yes, anything can happen at any time in early November. But it all happens quite a bit better when temp are running the average or slightly under.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
agreed. And I wasn't hammering you.

I agree that there have been times at 1 or 2 in the afternoon when the sun hits me and warms up where I thought to myself, "there's no freaking way a buck is up and moving anywhere within a mile of me right now"

Oh....I will hunt! You can't shoot them from the couch!! Well...in my case you could if you really wanted to (but don't shoot the gun in the house - don't ask how I know)!! High temps will surely reduce daytime activity...but it won't stop it all together. The deer still have to eat. This does I think put even more value on morning hunts however.... And I think it will put more value on water sources for those bucks that are looking for love. That urge to breed don't stop because it's hot out.... Hunt smart to not educate the deer and pay extra attention to entry and exit routes and scent control.... and when the weather changes....we need to be ready.

Reactions: Tap
Bucks will be moving regardless what the temp is now
Very true.was a little worried the heat would slow them down. I saw 10 different bucks Thursday. They were chasing all day.the only shooter was with a doe.

Our rut is over and there are no acorns this year. The deer are really hard to find now.

It was 71 F this afternoon and had 12-14 does in front of me by 3:45. The bucks started rolling in and it was mayhem with all the chasing going on. A spike, 3 - 2.5 year olds, and 2 nice 3.5 year olds. Had chances at them all, none on my list ... was a lot of fun anyways as my head was on a swivel for almost an hour. The boys are really horny ... :emoji_wink:

When it’s time, it’s time. Period.....
I’m at home, my sons in MO. He didn’t hunt the last two days “to hot” he said. I told him the does are going to come into heat regardless and when the first one does all hell could break loose warm or cold.....

Yep. Buddy was walking out in the dark tonight. About got run over by a doe being chased. Said at least 4 bucks on her tail...

Yep. Buddy was walking out in the dark tonight. About got run over by a doe being chased. Said at least 4 bucks on her tail...
I'm at our cabin and my dad came out early and saw 2 a doe brunt chased by 2 big boys about 530 pm. It's on for sure.

Corn is still in. 70 degree days. I’m just not seeing many deer yet. I am starting to think they are taking this Covid shelter in place seriously.

I've been in a stand every morning and evening since the 28th. Evenings have been way better. Stupid moon...

Calling for 70 for the Illinois shotgun opener Fri and Sat then rain Sunday. Awesome