What apple trees do you want, but don't have yet?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Maybe it is because I was away from all work at the farm for nearly 6 months, and should now have six months with a great deal of time, but I am in habitat overdrive mode right now. I worked from 6 AM until. 9AM yesterday and felt like a million bucks. When I went to dinner, I started a wish list of apple trees on the Grandpas Orchard web page. My current list is: Artlet Swiss, Winter Bannana, Spartan, Wealthy, Ben Davis, Caville Blanc, King David, Pound Sweet, Pink Pearl, and Bella.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know I want Stellar. It was on my list this spring, but I didn't get it.
Fyan is another I plan to add, but I really plan on cutting back on the amount of new trees next year, of course I said that this year too.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

kinda simple for me, I want wolf river, and I want to sneak in an old piece I used to hunt and get some scions from a who knows what apple, big and burly, tasty, that I enjoyed the heck out of as a kid.

I have all the apple varieties I want for now. My main focus now is crabs. I want Kerr, Centennial, Dolgo, All Winter Hangover and Winter Wildlife Crab. maybe Red Splendor, Adirondack and Golden Hornet if I can find room.

I have all the apple varieties I want for now. My main focus now is crabs. I want Kerr, Centennial, Dolgo, All Winter Hangover and Winter Wildlife Crab. maybe Red Splendor, Adirondack and Golden Hornet if I can find room.
We have kerr, centennial, dolgo, and golden hornet if you graft.

We have kerr, centennial, dolgo, and golden hornet if you graft.

Thanks Merle! I may take you up on that offer next spring. I do not graft but I do want to try my hand at it. Each year I threaten to do the research and order the rootstock but never do. Maybe this years the year!

Thanks Merle! I may take you up on that offer next spring. I do not graft but I do want to try my hand at it. Each year I threaten to do the research and order the rootstock but never do. Maybe this years the year!
You can do it I'm sure, if I can anyone can lol! Just give myself or Chuck a holler if you'd like scions to try next year.

Woodduck - I can get you scion from all the trees you listed. We have all of them planted, plus a GOB of other varieties. I guess that speaks to the extent of the habitat addiction I have. If you want to get some from Merle - cool. I have All-Winter-Hangover and Winter Wildlife crabs that Merle didn't mention he has. Whatever works for you. Not a problem to send you some.

Getting on this forum is like going to a crack house to look for addiction advice and guidance. :emoji_fearful::emoji_smiling_imp: If you want to have gas thrown on your fire ......... you're in the right place !!!:emoji_smirk:

Woodduck - I can get you scion from all the trees you listed. We have all of them planted, plus a GOB of other varieties. I guess that speaks to the extent of the habitat addiction I have. If you want to get some from Merle - cool. I have All-Winter-Hangover and Winter Wildlife crabs that Merle didn't mention he has. Whatever works for you. Not a problem to send you some.

Getting on this forum is like going to a crack house to look for addiction advice and guidance. :emoji_fearful::emoji_smiling_imp: If you want to have gas thrown on your fire ......... you're in the right place !!!:emoji_smirk:
I like this Habitat crack house....I wish I could quit but I cant haha. Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on the AWH and the WWC if I do
any grafting next year... something ive wanted to do....just doesn't seem to come together and another year passes haha

I don't have much room to plant more in my orchard and have over 60 varieties planted. I think I am more in the evaluation stage as I decide what gets top worked to something else. I have Dayton, Yates, and Northern Spy in my nursery that need to find permanent locations. I would add Hewe's Virginia crab and a couple more disease resistant PRI Co-op varieties. There are a bunch of Spanish cider apples that are available now but I'd like to hear what problems these varieties have before adding any.

Beyond apples, I am working on a pear scionwood list to request from the USDA GRIN for next spring. Mostly looking for later ripening for deer but I'd like a couple more disease resistant eating pears.

I believe I only have a few so far, but I want a goldrush and an enterprise to give me half a dozen disease resistant apple trees and then I'm switching to late dropping pears because I'm looking for less maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To this point I've planted trees for our dating purposes, with deer just to get the extras. Now I'd like to get some deer trees, the kind that don't require as much work. So my wish list is Liberty, Enterprise, Goldrush, and Arkansas Black. Haven't had the greatest of luck with bareroot trees, and am not close to starting down the grafting lath, so am in a holding pattern at this point.

I don't really know of any I want that we don't already have, but constantly open to adding anything that looks like it might fit in to my apple plan. If an apple tree isn't highly DR (especially to FB and CAR) it won't make it here.

The last apple I wanted was Sundance, and I added one of those this spring.

I'm moving to a new home and have the opportunity to plant a few more trees. In addition to grafting/planting apple varieties that I already have at my buddy's hunting property, I'm planning to plant some crabs for (a) visual appeal, and (b) birds rather than deer.

I'm planning on Adams, Robinson, and Prariefire.

I'm moving to a new home and have the opportunity to plant a few more trees. In addition to grafting/planting apple varieties that I already have at my buddy's hunting property, I'm planning to plant some crabs for (a) visual appeal, and (b) birds rather than deer.

I'm planning on Adams, Robinson, and Prariefire.

When you get ready to do some grafting let me know and I'll send you our list. Both Newtown Pippin and keener seedling are growing in the nursery.

When we did them I never thought they would take because they got lost at USPS for over a week but they still pulled through!

I think I am done adding. Lost track of how many I have, somewhere between 50-75. My plan going forward is grafting what works over to what didn't. I have a lot of losers, Enterprise, Liberty, and planted rootstocks that need to be grafted over. I have a couple native trees that are all stars, and Kerr that will be my source to graft with.

Chummer - curious why you say your Enterprise and Liberty are losers?

Hey Chickenlittle - How is the Yates doing for you ?? That's one tree I don't have but would like to squeeze one in a spot at camp. One of the guys from Michigan says he has one doing well for him up there. Just wanted some local input.

Chummer - curious why you say your Enterprise and Liberty are losers?
They die back every winter. Out of 15 trees I think only one or two are thriving. The rest die back to the graft every year.

Interesting. Thanks Chummer. I just planted a bunch of both varieties on B118 in west WI in Zone 4.