What apple trees do you already have, but want more of?

silver_yummies

5 year old buck +
This was my first year of planting apple trees and I will be back at it again next spring. I am curious to know what your top 1 or 2 trees are in your orchard and why are they the best? Do you wish you had planted more of them 5,10,15 years ago?? I don't want to miss out not planting these 'top' trees because I am running out of room already!

I'm in Zone 6b, so keep in mind that what has been good for me might not work for you.

• Black Limbertwig - Exceptional DR, great taste, reliable bearer
  • Liberty - Same as above
  • Dozier Crab - Very DR and young trees already making nice little crops
  • Betsey Deaton - Does get CAR, but great apples and very reliable
  • Priscilla - Very clean DR tree. Not a heavy bearer, but reliable for small crops of great tasting mid summer apples.
  • I have a seedling that is fruiting for the first time this year that I'm very impressed with. Cleanest tree I have ever seen in this area and loaded with nice sized red apples. Anxious to taste them, but even if they don't taste that great, it should make a heck of a wildlife tree. Looks so good this year, I'm grafting next year based on one year of observation.
  • There are others that I like well enough to plant again, but these above are my favorites.

I wish we had more room to keep planting !! I'd go for another 3 dozen Goldrush, just for eating. Those things are incredible tasting !!
I'd plant again: Liberty, Enterprise, Goldrush, Galarina, Kerr, Crimson Topaz, Bonkers, AWH and WWC for sure. Minnesota 1734 looks very good so far too. I forgot Prairie Spy it's a growing machine on Antonovka.

If you are asking what are the best apples in my commercial "orchard" used for eating and processing then I would put honeycrisp and snowsweet at the top. If I were to recommend for our region the very best apple tree plot for wildlife, I would again recommend Honeycrisp and Snowsweet and add to the mix Galarina, Franklin Cider, Enterprise, and Liberty.
There are so many varieties that I would like to grow and intrigued by the exuberance and passion folks have for growing from seed and heirloom varieties. I only wish I had the time. As a habitat manager looking for high yielding, disease resistant, winter hardy varieties that satisfies my passion for sitting on stand on a cold day in December and seeing my trees still burden with hanging fruit just for the taking for hungry whitetails, then the cultivars listed above have worked great for me.

Same here... Enterprise, Liberty, Galarina and 30-06 crab.... I will also ad favorite pears to my list that grow/produce great Keiffer, Moonglow and Korean Giant.