Welcoming myself back....

John-W-WI

Administrator
Well I haven't been posting as much here as I would like. In the last year I've sold a house, moved into our cabin (tiny house) 17 days later, built a new house and moved in. Life still doesn't seem completely organized until I live through each season once so I know where I put it :emoji_open_mouth: I recently found 98% of my hunting stuff. That was a good feeling. I even found some stuff I forgot I had!

Anyway, I hope to hang out here more this fall. One of my favorites is "Live from the stand thread".

For now I'm off to post a few pictures around here.

Thanks,

-John

Good to see you back on here!

You better run to the closest good will store and get your 2% of stuff back. Because that's where the wife took it. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Good laugh.

Well I haven't been posting as much here as I would like. In the last year I've sold a house, moved into our cabin (tiny house) 17 days later, built a new house and moved in. Life still doesn't seem completely organized until I live through each season once so I know where I put it :emoji_open_mouth: I recently found 98% of my hunting stuff. That was a good feeling. I even found some stuff I forgot I had!

Anyway, I hope to hang out here more this fall. One of my favorites is "Live from the stand thread".

For now I'm off to post a few pictures around here.

Thanks,

-John

John ... Glad you have run the build, sell, move, build, .... blah, blah, blah process.

I have done the same thing the last 2-3 years ... hopefully it feels good when you settle into the right place ... :emoji_wink:

Glad things are mellowing down. I am slowly getting to the build and move stage, but I still have 2 years left.

hopefully it feels good when you settle into the right place ... :emoji_wink:

I call the new house my "Pine box house" because they are taking me out of it in a pine box. I plan to die there if I can.

-John

I call the new house my "Pine box house" because they are taking me out of it in a pine box. I plan to die there if I can.

-John

LOL ... Amen brother ... we call ours the WID place ... "Where I Die" joint .... even have a spot on the hill for our grave markers with all our cremated dog ash cans ... hope the nieces & nephews don't screw that up ... :emoji_innocent:

John,

I'm entering the same stage but hoping to take more time and ease in if possible. We bought our pine box land. The county I bought in won't allow us to ease in the way I hoped. I planned to put in a road, and power then a well, septic system and well along with a barn slowly over the next couple years. Then when we were ready to move, I'd have a quick build and a short bridge loan. Well, this county won't permit septic, or well until you have a building permit and if you don't show progress on the building in a year, they don't renew the permit and you have to start from scratch. On top of that, the power company will give you a quarter mile of cable free if you are putting in a "residence", but otherwise you pay by the foot and it is expensive.

After multiple trips to the county and chats with the power company, I finally found the magic formula. My plan now is to build a larger barn with a small mother-in-law apartment in the barn. This counts as a residence for the county and power company. It is the gateway to all the permits I need. I'll simply design the house and barn to use the same septic system and well. Right now, my wife and I are working on roughing out a house design. We just need to work out enough details to establish the size and foot print. That will be enough to allow us to put together a site plan and position the barn and future house relative to the utilities.

This actually works out better. It allows for a smaller house design since the mother-in-law suite becomes our guest quarters. The house will be a single floor with wide walkways and built handicapped ready using your "Pine box" theory. It will have a basement, but I'm using the topography so that we can drive a cart around into the basement. It will have indoor stairs, but they are not needed for access. Also, it does not require a bridge (construction) loan. I can afford to put up the barn with apartment using savings. When we are ready to move, we will sell our current house and store our belongings in the barn and live in the apartment for a year while the house is being built. So, our barn apartment will be equivalent to your tiny house.

That is the plan anyway... We have no hard date for the house build, but I'd like to get the barn/apartment in next year. I'm glad to hear someone else survived the process.

Thanks,

Jack

Welcome back, and congrats on the new home.

Good luck Jack!

I did much of the same Jack - In the last few years we put in the 1/4 mile long driveway, ran power to the site, ran internet to the site (much to my surprise it was free to run to the site!) built the shed a year before the house so we had somewhere to put our stuff while we were in the tiny house. One last minute addition was I bought a 20' storage container. Most of our stuff ended up in there. Bug proof, critter proof, and water proof. Just what we needed.

I've enjoyed the process the only frustrating part has been "Where did we put that again?". But that is getting better everyday now and should continue to do so.

It's time to go hunting now, the house can wait!

-John