Wandering at the hang out

For the past few weeks everytime it rained I would watch the radar and see everything dissipate before it got to me. All morning, and early afternoon yesterday it was the same, then about 5pm yesterday, it all began. It made up for it all in 6 hours. I received between 10-13 inches last night. I am sure my seed I planted over the 4th is gone, and will need to be reseeded. Along with the fertilizer.

For the past few weeks everytime it rained I would watch the radar and see everything dissipate before it got to me. All morning, and early afternoon yesterday it was the same, then about 5pm yesterday, it all began. It made up for it all in 6 hours. I received between 10-13 inches last night. I am sure my seed I planted over the 4th is gone, and will need to be reseeded. Along with the fertilizer.
:eek: is that a typo?

I received .20". Yes that's correct, 1/5th of one inch. :mad:

I'm right there with you, wandering

I hope you didn't incur to much damage at your place.

I havent been there, but I have talked to the neighbor, she said she drove by my land, no visual damage, the roads to my land are under water, one by a couple feet, one just inches deep. I am more then positive the 12 inches of rain washed out my seed that was planted just a week prior, so back up this weekend to replant.

I went up to my land last weekend, I didnt have any structural damage, but all of my seed that was planted on the 5th, along with all of my fertilizer I am sure was washed away. The worst part was the heavy rains washed a lot of my top soil away, and I am left with sand. About 80% of what I planted was gone, so I lightly ran the drag across it, and tossed down some new seed. I am not going to re fertilize this plot this year, I will work on the soil more with rye, and possibly Buckwheat next year, and amend it then.

I didnt take any new pictures, but I do have a quite a few of the damaged roads that I will post later. It is amazing what a foot of rain in 6 hours can do.

I plan on going back up next weekend to build a new deer stand, I will try to take some pictures of the stand. We are also planning on doing some ATV trail riding as well on Saturday, some fun mixed in with work makes work recruitment much easier! I am hoping to get a little rain out of the next couple chances, but the last time I complained of not getting rain, we got nailed, so I will let mother nature give me what she thinks I need, and I wont complain much, out loud.

These first couple are from Hayward.

image.png

image.png

The rest are just areas around my land.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Here is one of the corners that lost a lot of top soil.

image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
The rain also found a bunch more new rocks I had to pick! I hear people are willing to buy these things, if these people are willing to pick them up, they can take as many as they can find!

Sorry to hear about your plots, looks like you got enough rain for awhile. Good luck!

I love summer rain, but good Lord 20" is ridiculous!

I just came back from the UP and they said hwy 2 and hwy 13 are washed out and closed. You cannot get across the state to the west up north.

I'm in the same county as you are but further south. I only got 2.5" of rain with that last flood. I was up a couple days after the rain and the ground had soaked it up and was dry all ready. What a difference 10-20 miles makes.
Don't worry about the bucks not staying there yet. The deer in my opinion are highly nomadic with the scattered food sources in this area. Literally every deer in the section could be within a half mile of the agricultural fields. Early season I key in on the ag and once everything gets picked the deer spread out. If you can keep a doe or two around they will be stopping through. Good luck this fall!

We were up last weekend to build a new deer stand, do a few odds and ends, and a day of atv trail riding. A good mix of work and fun, keeps my helpers happy. My food plot that I had to replant because of the flood is doing fairly well, except where the top soil is gone. My stand isn't done yet, but most of it is. I was a little short on plywood.
The fun.

image.png

The little helper.

image.png

The stand

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

PTT and radiahes replanted July 15th.

image.png

Always great to see the kids getting involved.

Always great to see the kids getting involved.

That is my grandson. He sure loves to hang out with papa and help me. I just need to turn the speed and progress from 110mph, to about 0 when he helps, but it's worth every minute of his help. In a couple years he will be sitting in that same stand he "helped" build.

That's what the good memories are made of !! ^^^^^ Nothing better.

Hoping to finish up the deer stand next weekend. I have my deer view Windows on order. I still need to install the roof, Windows, and the door. Then just add accessories.

What cool accessories do you guys have in your stands?

I came up to work on deer stands this weekend, and pretty much have mine done. I still need to paint the inside, and install the new Deerview Windows that won't be shipped for a couple more weeks. I tell you hoisting the roof up sucked big time. Tomorrow we start on my sons deer stand, it won't be nearly as elaborate as my stand, but we needed to relocate his. The deer are right on top of him, he has to get back out of the action a bit. We cut a few trees down to open my sons food plot up more, to get it ready to plant some wr , oats and sunflower seeds over Labor Day weekend.

The deer have been pounding my ptt, and ghr it is down to a couple inches tall through the middle of the plot. I may have to replant it with the same mix as my sons on Labor Day. I am terrible at taking photos while in progress of work, because I usually don't have my phone on me. I will try to take a few more pictures tomorrow and post them.

I am really pleased with all the progress that we made here this year, and last. But next year I best slow down some, and enjoy what we created, or as a family we will be making less trips. This trip was all work, and no play. I try to limit them through the year, but as the summer is coming to an end, so will be my projects in the woods this year. Labor Day weekend is my goal to leave the woods alone until season starts. I will add pictures tomorrow.

Hoping to finish up the deer stand next weekend. I have my deer view Windows on order. I still need to install the roof, Windows, and the door. Then just add accessories.

What cool accessories do you guys have in your stands?
o

I like quiet office chairs for nice naps during the slow times! The longer I can stay put the better.