Wandering at the hang out

If you are set on planting brassicas in there this weekend I would do this. Spray as soon as possible. The next day or two later get your lime and fertilizer down. Then if you have roller or something to drag without planting the seeds too deep, seed your brassicas and lightly roll/work the field. If you don't have a roller or drag I would put the lime and fertilizer down and then very lightly disc, more like scrape the top 1/2" only. Then top seed the brassica seed.

The plants will take in the gly immediately but it takes a while for it to actually kill the plants. Rolling or lightly dragging keeps most of the plants rooted and therefore they will still die from the effects of the gly and they will lay down over the seed and the small plants as the continue their death cycle.

I do have a drag, and may try this. My disc I have is just an old farm disc, cut down to 40 inches. It doesnt cut very deep anyhow, if it did, my ATV wouldnt be able to pull it very well. If it cut 2 inches, its because I have it loaded with rock, but it makes it very hard to pull.

I bought a disc from an auction, took the rear gangs off, and welded them to a pivot plate and made this. image.png

image.png

I still have this piece left over, never tried pulling it to see what it would do.

image.png

Last edited:
Looks good for plotting, what are you going to pull it with?

Artic Cat 700 ATV pulls it ok, until I get the rock box loaded enough to cut in good, then I get stuck easily.

I have only had a few pictures of fawns so far this spring, I was thinking it may be a weak year. But after looking at some of the cam pictures, there are still a lot of fat does. Is anyone else seeing mostly fat does? Or have they already dropped around you?image.png

image.png

image.png

I have been seeing fawns for weeks already.

I have been seeing fawns for weeks already.

I had seen a couple a few weeks ago, but none since. I will be checking my other cameras this weekend, maybe they are staying out of the open plot.

Nice rig with the rock boxes on that you fabbed up. That added weight makes it happen, doesn't it ?? Good for breaking thru sod and such. Nice pix of the rig.

No extra weight needed on black dirt, I just adjust the gangs to be aggressive. But is sod, I need to weight it down pretty good, and it will dig in, but with it being so narrow, on corners, if there is any incline, it likes to tip on its side. But it works better then the King Cutter that I have rented in past years. I will find out what it will do in a pretty thick oat plot this weekend.

Well this will be one of those weekends that will make a deer hunter cringe on my land. I will have probably 15 people camping out, riding atv's, and doing food plot work as well, and celebrating our independence with some old fashion fireworks, gun shooting, just plain ol having a good time. It may not be the best thing for my deer hunting, but we will sure have fun. This isnt a regular thing, so if the deer dont leave the county, they should be back after the weekend. But I bought the land to have fun, and hunt on, so the deer need to learn how to share!

Well this will be one of those weekends that will make a deer hunter cringe on my land. I will have probably 15 people camping out, riding atv's, and doing food plot work as well, and celebrating our independence with some old fashion fireworks, gun shooting, just plain ol having a good time. It may not be the best thing for my deer hunting, but we will sure have fun. This isnt a regular thing, so if the deer dont leave the county, they should be back after the weekend. But I bought the land to have fun, and hunt on, so the deer need to learn how to share!
Amen to that!

Looks like a very nice piece of land. So much of the area is sand, great seeing your plots looking green and lush.

I just disced in my fertilizer, and another 500 lbs of lime into the soil, then planted my brassicas yesterday. The forecast is calling for rain the next 4 days, starting this afternoon. The soil was pretty dry, so we really need the rain. Just a couple hours after planting, I had a couple bear playing around in my plot. I sure wish they were afraid of my scent. I didnt take many photos this weekend, but I will try to post a couple later.

Hope you guys had a good time! We also had a couple days full of ATV rides, trailer rides, campfires, blackberry picking, and nature hikes. And believe it or not just about everyone saw a deer or two including a young buck that walked right past the front porch early Monday morning and a nice tall racked buck that my dad and a couple kids saw while riding the ATV.

I'll take some good times with friends vs. worrying about stuff this fall any day.

Blackberries by me still have a ways to go yet. Gonna be a bumper crop if we get some rain in July to keep them from drying up. The black raspberries are just coming on strong but I don't have too many of those.

I'll take some good times with friends vs. worrying about stuff this fall any day.

Blackberries by me still have a ways to go yet. Gonna be a bumper crop if we get some rain in July to keep them from drying up. The black raspberries are just coming on strong but I don't have too many of those.
Oops, I meant to say black raspberries. We also look to be loaded with blackberries this year but they are not ripening yet.

We had an awesome weekend with a bunch of family and friends, we got some work done, and we got some fun, and relaxation in as well. Lots of wood got burnt in the fire pit, with some cocktails, and some BS flowing good through the weekend. We had a decent fireworks show that we put on. We had some fun shooting guns, some AR's, AK with a bumpfire stock, some 50 cal, and several others. Everyone got in some ATV riding, including some first timers, Grandma and Grampa, the smiles on their faces alone made the weekend. We did some tourist stuff with the first timers up there as well.

We also got a lot of work, and projects done. My son and his friend jumped on the camper roof and applied a layer of tar on the roof. I finished up the new flooring I started this spring. I disced up my apple tree plot, fertilized it, added lime, and planted some turnips, and radishes. Then we let everyone take the 4 wheelers out on the food plot to pack in the seed. I grabbed a shovel, and I dug out a little spring by my deer stand. I only dug out a 6x3 foot area, about 18 inches deep. I didnt want to dig out to much, and spend hours of labor, to find out the spring wont feed it. I dug down hill about 10 feet from the spring, and came back about 2 hours later, and it was about half full, self filling, and it is holding water. If it looks good when I go back up, I will make it a little bigger.
I weed wacked inside my apple tree cages. I insulated the floor in my deer stand, more so to cut down on floor noise, but any help to keep the floor warm, I will accept. I still need to finish the walls and roof, but that will be a project for my next couple trips.

As far as raspberries, I have tons of them, but they need moisture, they are small, and kinda shriveled up, the forecast looks promising this week, with chances of rain 5 out of 7 days. The storms that rolled through yesterday missed us, but we did manage an 1/8 inch according to the Farmers log. I was hoping for much more. I will add photos in another post, since I am on my laptop, and all the pictures are on my phone. Sorry, I was to busy having fun, and working to take many pictures.

Last edited:
Grandma sharpening up on her skills.

image.jpeg

Some first timers on ATVs. Helping pack in the seed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some mesmorising flames.
image.jpeg

Some one having to check out the new fresh dirt.

image.png

Kind of a dark picture, but there is a pretty big bear in there just a couple hours after planting.
image.png

Looks like a great weekend! Thanks for sharing.

A day's worth of fun and then time spent around a fire pit - good stuff !!