Volunteer soybeans

Brian662

5 year old buck +
Went up to check my destination plot that had 3 acres of beans in it last year. The deer didn't get all the beans and now there is a solid amount of volunteer beans growing. They are about 3" tall and coming in moderately thick. Basically it looks like I broadcast beans throughout the field.
Is there any drawback to letting them do their thing this season? I assume they'll still have their Roundup ready traits?
Maybe in some areas where they are thinner, I'll concentrate my corn rotation and other fall plots? I had bought enough seed to plant the whole field so now my plans have changed a little and I could save that seed for next year? This unexpected, but potentially good change has changed my plans a bit.

If it was my plot, I would let it grow and enjoy the free deer food. The down side is potential rootworm or other disease crossover when corn and soy grow together. The RR trait should still be in the bean. As for the unused beans, the downside will be slightly lower germination rates next year. You may want to consider a cover crop of cereal rye or clover.

I've planted corn and beans along side each other for several years in food plots and haven't seen any disease before, I'll do some more reading about it though, thanks.

Let them grow. Seal your new seed in airtight containers. As posted you may loose some germination next year but you can seed a tad heavier

Congrats on a free plot !

I did this two years ago. Asked a few if to thick would hurt them. They grew fine and thick. Deer loved them the same. I plant old seed all the time. Deer don't care.

leave them and save seed for next year. It will be just fine on both accounts