All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vern's Red Apple

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
I received Vern's Red apple scion as a substitute for an out of stock variety. Anybody familiar with this variety? I haven't been able to find much info. Thanks!

Last edited:
I received Vern's Red apple scion as a substitute for an out of stock variety. Anybody familiar with this variety? I haven't been able to find much info. Thanks!

Got a refund on the above scion (5 sticks) - the seller said next time let him know if I don't want a substitute. Substituting may make since for the seller since they want to keep the cash - but as a buyer of specific varieties seems like most scion customers would say no subs! :eek:...

Good for you. I researched and came up with nothing on that variety

Where did you get it from? I would not want a sub either. Maple Valley's order form asked you to put down 2 varieties to sub if you wanted then to substitute.

Where did you get it from? I would not want a sub either. Maple Valley's order form asked you to put down 2 varieties to sub if you wanted then to substitute.

These came from Masonville Orchards. This is my second year buying from them. I don't have any complaints regarding the quality of the scion and there was no disagreeing with the refund once requested, just found it odd on the subs. I would buy from them again.

Good for you. I researched and came up with nothing on that variety

Good ? paul, when he posted this thread originally i researched for 2 days and came up with nothing.

Thanks to everyone who researched this variety ;). I also checked a number of sources and found nothing - that's what was crazy with the substitution- no idea as to zone tolerance, sugars, tannins, uses, etc.

Thanks again!!

Did you have to return the scion, if not are you going to graft it?

Do you know info we don't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Kabic, I offered to return them. Not planning on grafting without info on the variety. Starting my grafting later today - I purchased 50 root stock from Grandpa's which I received on Friday, and waiting for 25 from Cummings. The root stock from Grandpa's is almost identical to the quality I received from Cummings last year. Plus they were well packaged. I will post a few photo's once I get started.

Do you know info we don't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not. I was just thinking why not take a chance. You never know when you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure you saw this... http://www.masonvilleorchard.com/varieties.htm

ripening times

Late September
  • Sweet Sixteen
  • Honeycrisp
  • Cox Cherry Pippin
  • Yellow Delicious
  • Sunrise
  • Vern's Red

Thats where the scion came from, i'm sure he did, however that is the only info out there online that is out there about this unknown apple.