Swamp Crabapple rootstock advise

Treefrog

Yearling... With promise
New to this forum. I'm trying to create some apple trees for my buddies deer hunting swamp. I recently read an article on the web about someone trying Pacific crab apple (Malus fusca) as a rootstock for very wet or swampy locations. Does anybody here have experience with this?
Also, if Malus fusca will work for rootstock, the scion varieties that I'm considering are: Enterprise, Black Oxford, and Sundance. I need a variety that disease resistant is very CAR resistant, Late to bloom out, and a late cropper. Anybody that has advise or comments on my experiment, please chime in.

Malus Fusca is hardy to maybe zone 5b. Are you in an area with relatively warm winters? It is also reportedly susceptible to collar rot.

I can't help with the rootstock question. For a deer apple in a swamp I would go with crabapples. Many that are pretty disease resistant and you can plant them, cage them and just let them be without a lot of care. I sent you a pm about enterprise scion, I can throw in some crabapple scion also if you would like.

I am in zone 5b-6a between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, Michigan

You might want to look into P18 rootstock.

Also, it would probably help to pile up som dirt and plant on a mound. I have had good success with this in soggy areas.

You
I am in zone 5b-6a between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, Michigan
There's usually a reason trees grow in one area with similar conditions and not another, but you won't know until you try.

Your best bet may be to plant on the edges of the swamp. Build up a mound, and plant smaller trees than can survive on the mound of soil. Might be a 2 yeared tak. Get the mounds ready when it's dry on year, and plant in the fall or next spring.

There's alot of places where tree descriptions are given. Here's one.

We all want big trees, but if using the mound theory, you might do better with smaller rootstock. Out of the WSU site, G935 might be your best bet.

I find some more hopeful spots, then just buy a bunch of rootstock. Put 3 varieties in. See which one does best. Wait 3 years or so, then topwork.

Likely we all should put some barrier or mulch ontop of our plantings. MAke sure yours can breath well. Or adjust seasonally. Cover it up in the summer, then thin it out during wetter months.

If not doing the mound method. I would not dig down. Get to clean soil, then build up a spot for your trees. This way your roots can be shallower, and have time to adapt during transplant shock.

I believe pears are much more tolerant of wet locations than apples that maybe an avenue worth pursuing also.

I am giving some dolgo rootstock a try this year. From what I have read, theyre the better in wet locations than other rootstocks.

Saw a youtbue vide comparing B118 to dolgo rootstock. Roots were much thicker with the dolgo. They also said growth rates and years to bear fruit were about the same too.

Pears. On callery rootstock.
Or, if you just gotta have apple... you could even try planting callery seedlings, then graft your choice of apple on. with an interstem piece of 'Winter Banana' apple, which is graft-compatible with most pears, between the pear rootstock and your fruiting apple scion.