Vacuuming a hole in the ground

You say that like it's a bad thing. :p
Grin. Yeah.....well he just shoots odd stuff. Like holes in the fish house to break it free, and shoot down a well to clean the screens. Stuck bolt?...shoot it! Practical stuff like that. ;)

I once shot my tv in my bedroom. I had to make an emergency trip home one time(stomach issues) while coyote hunting and forgot to unload my rifle. As I uncased the gun it went off and center punched the tv. The dogs headed for the door and I turned white as a sheet and am sure my eyes were as big as saucers. Scared the crap out of me and my ears were ringing for days.

I once shot my tv in my bedroom. I had to make an emergency trip home one time(stomach issues) while coyote hunting and forgot to unload my rifle. As I uncased the gun it went off and center punched the tv. The dogs headed for the door and I turned white as a sheet and am sure my eyes were as big as saucers. Scared the crap out of me and my ears were ringing for days.

I thought perhaps you were watching some Viking football. :)

My SIL learned to keep his finger off the trigger when taking the safety off - all while in one of my deer blinds. I bet he won't do that again. :eek: He still gets lots of raspberries from everyone each year at deer camp over his buck fever episode. ;)

A buddy forgot to clear the chamber when he returned from yote hunting too. He had his daughter 2' from him, was holding the AR by the pistol grip and somehow managed to pull the trigger (it's easy - you put your finger in there and pull :rolleyes: ) as he was preparing to go out again. He put a hole through his entryway floor and almost through a fridge in the basement below it. He missed, and put a dent in the slab instead. I wish he'd hit the cases of pop next to it instead - cleaning all that up would've been better anguish to reflect on what he did.

I'm still not sure what to do about him if he ever wants to come up to my place. That's inexcusable carelessness to me. :mad:

Your always shooting something Art. Last winter you were promoting that I blast my (frozen down) fish house to free it from the ice. :oops::rolleyes:o_O Not to sure about you shooting everything. :):rolleyes: Must be a jack-pine savage thing.

You do remember what I tell you. I can't hear so well any more from all of the shooting.

When you hunt in a one deer area, like up north, you got to do something with all of those leftover shells.

Come to think of it, I have lots of left over shells in the 5 or 7 deer area also...

I also remember my Dad shooting a limb off of a white pine because somebody wanted some pine cones. More 30.06 shells.

We sack jine pavages, I mean jack pine savages are always promoting something. Rain dances are not going over so well, so we are offering guided Snipe hunts. We used to use gunny sacks, but no one has them any more. Try a plastic garbage bag and a canoe paddle to shss the snipes along a bit. Do NOT wave the canoe paddle in the air unless you are packing a canoe along.

And they say these threads do not have useful information......

I'll bet it was an election year and you got tired of the bs.

Grin. Yeah.....well he just shoots odd stuff. Like holes in the fish house to break it free, and shoot down a well to clean the screens. Stuck bolt?...shoot it! Practical stuff like that. ;)
We had different kinds of amusement in the northwoods during the '60's.

We had different kinds of amusement in the northwoods during the '60's.

Was on a grouse hunt one time up in the north county.....and somehow slid my pick-up between two small trees on a greasy trail. Two-wheel drive Chevy, virtually wedged between them. It took us about six shot-shell loads to shoot the smaller tree down.....and drive away. :D THAT is Jack-pine-savage-enguinuity.....right there. ;)

Was on a grouse hunt one time up in the north county.....and somehow slid my pick-up between two small trees on a greasy trail. Two-wheel drive Chevy, virtually wedged between them. It took us about six shot-shell loads to shoot the smaller tree down.....and drive away. :D THAT is Jack-pine-savage-enguinuity.....right there. ;)

There might be hope for you yet!

OK. I have been forming holes in the ground with my vac for years. I am surprised this isnt a well known trick. With a garden hose any material quickly becomes a slurry and up the pipe it goes quick smart. I also use it for mining gold. Again, with a jet nozzle hose the bedrock is cleaned beautifully and fast , then dump the thing through the sluice. Couldnt be easier.

Shop vacs also work great for excavating concrete. After its busted with a jackhammer the concrete still holds together like a puzzle. The shop vac sucks all the powder and fine bits out and the big pieces can easily be shoveled out. Works better than anything but a track hoe.

sandbur, I am very familiar with the method you speak of, I mentioned it in a sand point thread on the other forum a year or so back. I had a buddy who's dad owned a well drilling business when I was a kid and I helped him and his dad put in many sand points like this. It is the easiest method I have ever seen, but I cannot find any information on it online.

Check out www.drillyourownwell.com All the info you need plus lots of video instructions. This has been on my list of things to do for some time now.

Jeff

Jeff, I have looked at that site numerous times. It is similar to the method we used, but we did not have a fancy "rig" at the top of the pipe and the slurry actually came out of the top of the actual well casing we were sinking into the ground. One water hose(optional if you don't mind filling with buckets) and one high pressure air hose driven by a portable industrial air compressor. Still have never seen anything like what my buddies dad did.

Gotcha.. the video's make it look real easy. In your experience was it that easy to do ?
We have rocks. Lots of rocks. At times it seems like they bubble up from below ground.

Jeff

We had nothing but a 100' of glacial lake bottom sand beneath our area, so I couldn't speak to rocks much at all. He was a professional well driller, so if he thought there were going to be rocks, he broke out the drill rig. Really easy through nothing but sand. Very dirty job though, but for a couple of high school kids getting completely soaked and full of mud wasn't that bad on a 90 degree day.

One of these days I'm going to try it. Probably try it in the yard 1st. Maybe by the garden. Like I said It's been on my list, but it's a long list.
Anyone else ever drill a shallow well ?

Anyone else ever drill a shallow well ?

Yes. Pounded it in by hand with a sledgehammer. Also rented a jackhammer for a couple.

I helped build a pier out into the Gulf of Mexico one summer. To set the pilings, we used a trash water pump with 2" hose attached to straight pipe. Held the pipe up tight against the piling and set it upright. Right down it goes, pull the pipe out slowly and she's set tight as can be.

i was sighting in a rifle once. Had a paper target stapled to a tree. After a few rounds the tree fell over. Whoops!

I helped build a pier out into the Gulf of Mexico one summer. To set the pilings, we used a trash water pump with 2" hose attached to straight pipe. Held the pipe up tight against the piling and set it upright. Right down it goes, pull the pipe out slowly and she's set tight as can be.

i was sighting in a rifle once. Had a paper target stapled to a tree. After a few rounds the tree fell over. Whoops!
That is very similar to what we did! First time I have heard anyone else do this. The difference is when the bottom of the pipe is not under water, you have to add water via a hose or buckets, then we "blew" the pipe into the ground with compressed air. Sucked it right down, much like you describe.