Ugly Dog Farm-(slow) work in progress

Hired someone to come out for half a day & run a mulcher. Turned out great, was able to expand our main plot that had gotten out of hand due to not being able to spray.

Got our firebreak in & also a path cut along a oak grove.

87f7aaec33ea0bb006d1eda9b2a27c1e.jpg

c925836a74a5e2eecb796478c57bfb3b.jpg

22a47b43b7fee90273dc7f902ff48c83.jpg

While he was running his machine, these 2 piped out..

3921e886200bcb7eab77a684caa8f6ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think step one should be to bullet proof your access. After that I say get the deer bedded in places that your wind will never end up. And after that, I would do a series of trails brush hogged through and planted and have them all end at a winter food source. I only think this bc you describe thick property that from the sounds of it has limited stand opportunities. By having the trails for the deer to feed along it’s like having the option of hunting multiple different food sources for different winds. Also the hole is they browse by and keep on going making exiting less of a issue. By having a common ending place for these trails planted in a late season food source (or year round if you have the equipment) you hopefully know where the deer will be when you enter and exit. The trick here is giving the deer a reason to bed in “x” location bc when a property is an overgrown jungle they are nearly impossible hunt throughout a season bc they end up everywhere. I’m just shooting from the hip. Just some thoughts. I’m sure you’ll have a vast number of opinions here so you should think it through, and see what you guys both feel best suits your particular situation

Sorry! I shoulda kept reading. I didn’t realize the post is from several years ago!

Sorry! I shoulda kept reading. I didn’t realize the post is from several years ago!

Lol no worries I try to update it as we progress. Access & bedding are definitely my top priority.

I agree with all the other posts on long term projects being iffy if you don't own the property. That said I would focus hard then on what your putting in the food plots to get the most out of them. It doesn't sound like there is a huge amount of ag in your area so besides planting soybeans and corn I would border around those in clover mix with a good forage chicory blended in and overseed brassicas into any corn plots. I would also drop in a few small water sources like plastic tubs or koi ponds...work on the smaller short term stuff to draw in and hold as much wildlife as you can. Also put in some stuff that the neighbors might not plant into new little plots like partridge pea or buckwheat.
If the land owner will let you feather the edges of brush/tree borders of plots at all you could create some nice bedding cover too.

Yeah I pretty much have full rein to manage the property as I see fit. Definitely edge feathering & trying to create bedding. Already had 12 sightings this year in 3 trips to the property.Now some may had been the same deer, but still exciting.

I think step one should be to bullet proof your access. After that I say get the deer bedded in places that your wind will never end up. And after that, I would do a series of trails brush hogged through and planted and have them all end at a winter food source. I only think this bc you describe thick property that from the sounds of it has limited stand opportunities. By having the trails for the deer to feed along it’s like having the option of hunting multiple different food sources for different winds. Also the hole is they browse by and keep on going making exiting less of a issue. By having a common ending place for these trails planted in a late season food source (or year round if you have the equipment) you hopefully know where the deer will be when you enter and exit. The trick here is giving the deer a reason to bed in “x” location bc when a property is an overgrown jungle they are nearly impossible hunt throughout a season bc they end up everywhere. I’m just shooting from the hip. Just some thoughts. I’m sure you’ll have a vast number of opinions here so you should think it through, and see what you guys both feel best suits your particular situation

Yeah it’s definitely a challenge at this point with the cutover regrowth. We have hinged about a 2acr area for bedding on the south west side, plan is to create an area on the North side this winter.

Well, just realized it’s been awhile since I updated this- 2019 was a busy year for me personally, & after turkey season not a lot happened on the property. I hunted public land for the first time in years, did manage to take 2 does off the farm& Had an encounter with a sow & 2 cubs.

Because of the lack of work & plans that never were followed through on by the LO, the majority of our plots & openings were overran by sweetgum & wild grape by fall. Starting last weekend, I’m resetting the clock a bit. Brought out an tractor & implements, mowed & disced the plots and did some strip discing of our electrical ROW & some of the firebreaks.

Turkey population seems to be up this year compared to last, hopefully that’ll translate into some success this season. Was out after dark this weekend , totally forgot to grab some “before “ pics.

Swung through the farm today for some quick turkey scouting and snapped these while I was there.

c678ac36ee4b2aa743017db0f197f066.jpg

Eastern leg of the main plot.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200405/91796d0e92073f66fbb29fdf861e1582.jpg

Main plot

6599698cd383a8fbe23c75013b085112.jpg

One of the three ROW’s I ran the plow through.

Some already know this, but I’ve had to learn that a forestry mulcher/chipping head isn’t always the best for clearing an area. Yes it’s fast, but there is the debris left behind & also unless the operator is running it sub surface, and most don’t due to tooth wear, you will have the tree sprouts & stumps that will come back with a vengeance.

I had let some of the debris deteriorate since we had the plot enlarged in ‘18 & this year with mowing & then running the disc over it, plus the last 3-4 yrs of thatch built up from the rye & wheat, hopefully will help the soil.

Side note- the rotten log you see in the main plot, was on a mound of wood debris I had pushed up back in ‘12 or ‘13. I ran the loader into it, some of the richest blackest dirt I ever saw in ENC-

Plan is to spray mid-late summer & start back with our T&M cereal/greens combo for fall.

Well guys, time to bring this chapter to a close. Went out to the property about 2 weeks ago & was surprised to see For Sale signs at the gate. Long story short, the owner had decided to sell & move on, but "forgot" to mention it to me. Was able to talk with the new owner & will be retrieving my stands & equipment.

Mods feel free to lock.

That sucks!

That sucks!

Yeah, was expecting a little more heads up when/if the property was sold. I think though I had gotten a little burnt out in the last couple years, so not the blow it would have been,say 3 years ago. Definitely see the reason now for a lease agreement, or at least something in writing even for “permission property’s”..

That totally sucks! One of the biggest reasons I started buying ground, got tired of losing my spots...either to being sold/owners family member wanting to hunt/getting leased out from under me.