Ugly Dog Farm-(slow) work in progress

nchunter1989

5 year old buck +
All,

Been in discussion with the landowner & we're looking to do some revamping of the property this year. Its 90 acres, about 3/4 was cut 4yrs ago.I would say a dozen or so mature trees left, mostly oaks. There was talk of replanting with longleaf pine, but that hasnt happened yet. Our stand locations were good for the 1st couple of years but now that the regrowth is getting thick, its to a point where we have to go to work.

The property has deer,bear,a few turkeys & other small game. We're wanting to start on improvements with deer being the main focus, but also food & shelter for everything else. We did 2 small "no till" plots this year, they turned out "ok".

We're going to be working late winter early spring on firelanes & plots, LO is renting a skidsteer with forestry mower.

Any advice/comments appreciated.
we have permission to hunt the SE property where the red line runs, but not to do any habitat work.

2016 ideas-.jpg

I am always concerned about doing any long term improvements and spending $ if you do not own the land.

I am always concerned about doing any long term improvements and spending $ if you do not own the land.

The owner pays for mostly everything, equipment,seed,lime ect.. I only come out of pocket for gas, time & small things. One concern I have is putting in the food plots versus cover. Long thin plots or larger broken up plots.

So I'm looking at maybe long thin lanes, S or W shaped.. Also this year the deer have started bedding in the area right behind the east stand. Thin the brush or move the stand?

Reactions: gwm
What does all the thick regrowth consist of? Are perimeter trails in place?

What does all the thick regrowth consist of? Are perimeter trails in place?
Its a mix of sweetgum,loblolly,holly bushes & greenbriars. With cherry & a couple other "trash" woods thrown in. Alot of browse. Perimeter trails are 1 thing we are working on this year.looking at possibly hinge cutting some of the thicker areas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If it were my place I would be strongly considering planting a couple strategically placed areas of pine for concentrated bedding. They don't have to be large, even 2 acres works well if you stay out of there. IMO food plots are a must, at least in my part of the country. Have you read Grow 'Em Right? It's a great book and talks lots about creating food plots and lining the edges with a young regrowth like you are experiencing. If you cut a "ring" around the plots you establish the regrowth will be 5 years younger than the surrounding woods creating create edge cover. But as sandbur mentioned, I would be concerned with dumping so much time, energy, and money into a place where I have no guarantee to be hunting in a couple years.

With 4 years re growth of holly, gum and pine I'd be cutting deer trails where I wanted them to walk and working on food plots. Greenbriars are food and cover so I'd be fertilizing that a bit.

This photo is 2yrs old, but here is our current young pine thickets.2016 pine.jpg

What do the yellow lines represent?
Why park on the middle of the property?

Again I'd focus on giving them paths considering how thick it's going to get/gotten. possibly paths by the few mature tree's left if they are good locations.
May want a few clearings in the pines and other thick bedding areas for doe bedding.

What do the yellow lines represent?
Why park on the middle of the property?

Again I'd focus on giving them paths considering how thick it's going to get/gotten. possibly paths by the few mature tree's left if they are good locations.
May want a few clearings in the pines and other thick bedding areas for doe bedding.
In the 1st post? Thats perimeter lanes/firebreaks we're planning to do in the next few months.

So going to revive this thread, season is over here in NC & we're gearing up to work. Thoughts about foodplots versus cover? Im seeing browse patterns in the edge, so they are eating the natural forage.

A couple things.

Where is the destination food?

With all the regrowth, deer patterns are going to be changing as new areas are becoming "prime". So you may have to do some scouting. Cutting small trails through thick cover will become deer trails quickly.

Cover is always number 1 in my mind. Even if you don't have typical food, having cover thicker relative to the surroundings is a game changer.

As for food plots, I like long and thin running as a connector from bedding towards destination plots.

A couple things.

Where is the destination food?

With all the regrowth, deer patterns are going to be changing as new areas are becoming "prime". So you may have to do some scouting. Cutting small trails through thick cover will become deer trails quickly.

Cover is always number 1 in my mind. Even if you don't have typical food, having cover thicker relative to the surroundings is a game changer.

As for food plots, I like long and thin running as a connector from bedding towards destination plots.

Ive revised my destination plot size from the original post. Looking at a long skinny plot or multiple long skinny "fingers". The current stands are going to be moved, to focus more on the trails coming to the plots.

This is what I'm thinking currently. The northern plot location may be adjusted, more parallel with the perimeter edge. The issue there is that someone has a stand on the western edge. I dont want to put a plot so close that Im giving them a shot. Or it become a safety issue if we put a stand down in the corner. Looking at cutting a lane on the south end, through the pecan grove & putting a stand in the northern head of woods.So i'll be able to skirt the perimeter on the south side without venturing in the main chunk of property.

2016.jpg

What I meant by destination food was, where are the deer going to feed at night/ overnight. Probably some sort of Ag field unless there are none around.

The reason this is important is I would try to create some predictability. Make some thick bedding, create travel to your small food plots that are on there way to the bigger overnight feeding spots. Then you can hunt the back side of bedding areas, the travel corridor or the small food plots depending on the conditions.

There are 2 main ag fields. 1 to the south west, usually beans,corn or tobacco & the eastern field in the sat photo. That rotates from sweet potatos,tobacco,beans,watermelons & corn. The times we've put out corn, we had deer feeding all night long, especially later in the season.So I feel like we can keep them feeding on our land if the food is there.

ok, reviving this thread. getting the equipment out to the farm & doing our cutting at the end of March.

the plan right now is to:
cut 1 W shaped plot in the center of the property

cut around the perimeter for fire breaks/access lanes,

cut 1 or 2 small plots on the north leg. probably L shaped running south & west.

so basically follow the last mockup I posted. any suggestions are appreciated.

No one? Surely I havent completely tapped the wealth of knowledge here??

Ok, Was talking with a friend & he mentioned just doing a hub & spoke stand/plot layout on the north leg. Thoughts on that versus a plot northeast & a stand or blind off the trails? As I've mentioned before, the landowner pays for the equipment rental, so it'll be awhile before we get equipment back out there.Trying make sure I'm utilizing the opportunity wisely as possible.

I prefer plots where I can see the entire plot from a single tree stand. May not be able to reach the far end with a bow but I'm OK with that. I don't like the thought of hunting one "spoke" while my target buck is feeding or traveling on another. I'd rather have 2 or 3 seperate smaller plots. Makes it easier to hunt more than one person also, each takes a plot if hunting over food is preferred.

true. we dont bow hunt, its strictly muzzle loader & centerfire. the tract in question is 17 acres of cut over, so definitely going to have to cut lanes .