Turn pasture in to deer bedding?

Looks like one of the more diverse properties in the area. Some more open areas to develop some food plots/orchards. I would guess you'll have quite a pool of bucks you can attract from all that big timber around, especially during the rut. Looks like a gem with a ton of potential to me! Congrats

Looks like one of the more diverse properties in the area. Some more open areas to develop some food plots/orchards. I would guess you'll have quite a pool of bucks you can attract from all that big timber around, especially during the rut. Looks like a gem with a ton of potential to me! Congrats

Thank you, Swiffy!

Yeah, listen to what @Native Hunter has to say about early succession plants and old fields. He has perfected it in our area.

And, find as much stuff from Dr. Craig Harper as you can and listen or read or watch several times. Here's a link to a recent podcast Dr. Harper was on: https://habitatpodcast.com/habitat-...t-vs-forbs-herbicides-for-espc-fire-soil-fac/
Thanks Ben. Got tired of this podcast. 15 minutes in and they still had not talked about anything. Geez.

Thanks Ben. Got tired of this podcast. 15 minutes in and they still had not talked about anything. Geez.
Yeah, podcasts aren't for everyone. I usually listen when I'm mowing, driving or some other monotonous task. I couldn't just sit and listen to them. Anyway, if I am in a hurry, I fast forward to where I can tell they are getting into the meat of the content. It did get pretty good, which most of Dr. Harper's stuff usually is.

But, back to your property, it looks like you have a pretty good bit of bedding already. You cold just kill what you don't like. I like that fence line on the north border of the hay field. I find that bedding is along breaks like that. Is the hay still in production? You have a NW facing slope and a SE facing slope off of it that both look like contain some possibly good bedding. I'd consider keeping a lot of that field in food and enhance the bedding on the slopes. Food seems like a limited resource in your immediate area. (not sure if they are feeding in the vineyard to your south)

Could the creek beds on the east and west boundaries make good access?

That south facing slope with all the cedars on it that overlooks your bottom fields along Glen's Creek could make some good bedding.

Yes, I'll go back and fast forward to the place they start talking habitat. He seems to have such a good knowledge of this. As you say, the deer are definitely bedding on both sides of the slopes off the main ridge. I'll continue to encourage that. I have thought about creek access, but have not figured how to get back there yet or if it would be beneficial after I finalize a management plan. I've thought of turning about 3/4 of the eastern most field by the creek into bedding...

Now I just had another thought. Since the deer are bedding toward the road on the SE and NW slope of the main ridge, perhaps I should make food plots on the creek bottom fields, then catch the deer going back and forth between feeding in the fields next to the creek and the bedding on either side of the main ridge?

Yes, I'll go back and fast forward to the place they start talking habitat. He seems to have such a good knowledge of this. As you say, the deer are definitely bedding on both sides of the slopes off the main ridge. I'll continue to encourage that. I have thought about creek access, but have not figured how to get back there yet or if it would be beneficial after I finalize a management plan. I've thought of turning about 3/4 of the eastern most field by the creek into bedding...
I was talking about accessing it from the small ditch/creek beds along your property lines on the east and west sides that drain into the big creek on the south. Basically, using the bottom of the two hollows as access so you're not walking through the center of your property down the ridge.

I was talking about accessing it from the small ditch/creek beds along your property lines on the east and west sides that drain into the big creek on the south. Basically, using the bottom of the two hollows as access so you're not walking through the center of your property down the ridge.
Oh I see, yes. That is a possibility.