Tube stakes

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
Does anyone use the fiberglass stakes for tubes? Just wanting to know how they hold up and how ppl like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could tell you. I've been using 10' sticks of 1" plastic PVC and cutting in half.

I use metal conduit, i get lots of 4-6 ft pieces from dumpsters on construction jobs that i work on.

How does the pvc hold up? Seems like 5ft wouldn't leave much support once you drive it in.
How much is cost per stake for pvc?

Wish I could tell you. I've been using 10' sticks of 1" plastic PVC and cutting in half.
X2

I have been using 8', 1/4' metal rods my buddy gave me. They never rot, easy to push in and pull out. And they will move with the wind to strengthen the tree as it grows!

Yes, I got some from the wildlife group as part of my package with my AU buck trees. They work reasonably well but I would not buy them due to cost. I use PVC like others. I cut the 10' sections in half at a sharp angle. The 5' plantar tubes stick above the PVC but they are tall enough to hold the tubes. They flex in the wind which is good for young trees.

How do y'all drive the pvc?

I have a larger piece of schedule 40 PVC with an end cap. I use it like a t-post driver. Most of the trees I plant are rootmaker trees I grow from trees and nuts. I'm planting them in heavy clay and use a tractor auger and I'm planting them from 3 gal RB2 containers. The containers unwrap so the media and rootball are undisturbed when planted. For those trees I don't even need the driver. They go through the medium easily. I mound clay sloping away from the tree covering my medium to prevent ponding in the clay. This is enough to hold them in place until things settle.

I think they make a similar driver for the fiberglass stakes.

Thanks,

Jack

I have some fiberglass stakes from the Wildlife Group. They work great but are expensive. I also use a hybrid stake with success. I put a two foot piece of rebar in the ground and then put PVC to that with three good cable ties. Keeps me firm in the ground and I use a 5 lb hammer to get the rebar firm in the ground. My PVC will last and it gives flex to the tree as well.

I also use rebar electric fence post that Tractor Supply sells for shorter tubes when small seeding are plant or I have direct seeded a chestnut or DCO.

Wayne

The tie for the tubes are below the top of tube.I have used treated wood and PVC,the treated wood the tubes don't move around but they can get broken by bucks.I had issues witht he tubes rolling around the PVC in the wind and ended up making 1 wrap with duck tape to prevent

1/2 inch rebar works well for tubes OR cages. And the rebar can be cut short if used for concrete mesh cages. A 5 or 6 foot piece of rebar works great for tube and when it's time to switch from tube to cages, just cut the tube rebar in half and the 2 short pieces work fine to support concrete mesh.

SW Pa

I tried these fiberglass driveway stakes this year. They worked great, easy to push in and they held up.
ce0dad15515700ab0aca06a8a469eb60.jpg

How does the pvc hold up? Seems like 5ft wouldn't leave much support once you drive it in.
I also use 5' PVC sections cut at a sharp angle from purchased 10' pipes. Holds up well and flexes enough to help the young trees develop some strength dealing with wind movement. I live just east of Tallahassee FL and took a direct hit from Hurricane Hermine this year. Winds at our place were right at the 80mph mark. Out of about 100 trees tubed, I might have had a half dozen knocked loose / down.

As for how to drive the PVC pipes in, I place a small block of wood on top of the PVC and hit the wood with a mallet hammer. I have no problem driving them in, but should add our soil is not especially hard. Years ago I lived in Lubbock, Texas a while... would have needed a root bar and power auger to put them in.

I use the fiberglass rods and they work good. I could see how the other items used by others would also do well. I picked mine up this year at fleet farm for a buck each.

I use 5' PVC, like the other guys, but I found that cutting the edge at an angle made it impossible to drive the tube in straight. The bevel caused an uneven distribution of force in heavy, rocky soil. Cutting them straight worked better for me. I put the 1/2" stake inside of a 4' piece of 1" PVC to keep it from flexing while I pound it in using a 2 lb sledge.

In the last three years I have tried the triangle stakes they sell with tubes (expensive but good), driveway stakes (too short for me), a few metal options (too rigid, short and/or expensive), bamboo/wood (not bad but short life), pvc (good with minor work to cut) and those green "garden" stakes that look strong but are hollow (save your money please). Unless something else catchesy eye to try, I will stick with cutting pvc to length.