Tube Serviceberry?

Daydreamer

5 year old buck +
I have some bare root Serviceberry coming wondering if I should tube them? And for that matter I have Plum coming too and wondering on that front as well. Fell in love with tree tubes for the first time last year.
Thoughts?

Good question.
Less protection from deer as my deer density is quite low.
Looking for accelerated growth and potential for protection from mice/voles...

I've got serviceberry coming too. I'm gonna treat them like I do the apples & crabs - alum. window screen wrap for rodents and concrete mesh for the deer. Once & done !!

I am planting some this spring and I plan on caging them for protection. I have a couple Ninebark in tubes just an experiment from last year.

Last edited:
I'd say yes to the serviceberry, and maybe to the plum.

Thanks guys. Spent the morning mowing a portion of the field where these are going to go. Hopefully it will speed up thawing of the ground and I can be ready to roll when the trees arrive.

I've got both in tubes now. I've found I needed to prune my plums once so they don't get too bushy in the tube. The plums were pruned last fall and I can't report yet that it's been a success, but it's still in the running. They're in 6' tubes. I've also put serviceberries in tubes last year when I planted them, still too early on those as well.