Replacing dead ash trees

check with your local NRCS office, there is programs Via CSP and EQUIP that pays you to replace the ash and also fence off the newly planted trees. I am replacing the ash with Swamp white oak, tamarack, wild plum and cedar. At a minimum the payments would allow you to pay someone to come in and remove the ash or as least knock it down for you. I currently doing this on 2 separate 1 acre areas, im in WI as well if you dont fence or cage each tree you will fight a losing battle against deer both eating and rubbing your new planted trees.
Thanks for the suggestion

Just last weekend I had my county forester out for a little tour of my land and this exact subject came up. FWIW, my spot is about 5-6 acres of black ash that got beaver-killed before I bought it.

Beaver issues are solved now but it’s still quite wet in there. No go without hip waders.

Anyway, he said if I just leave it alone the tag alders will dominate and maybe some young black ash and tamarack will come back.

Since it’s bordered by white cedar, it will likely seed into the area. Approximately 60 to 100 years after I’m worm food😂

His suggestions were to plant some native shrubs on the few small dry areas and edges and possibly shear the existing tags first for regeneration.

He didn’t think spending time planting actual trees would be worth it because of how much the water table fluctuates….even without the beavers.

Just last weekend I had my county forester out for a little tour of my land and this exact subject came up. FWIW, my spot is about 5-6 acres of black ash that got beaver-killed before I bought it.

Beaver issues are solved now but it’s still quite wet in there. No go without hip waders.

Anyway, he said if I just leave it alone the tag alders will dominate and maybe some young black ash and tamarack will come back.

Since it’s bordered by white cedar, it will likely seed into the area. Approximately 60 to 100 years after I’m worm food😂

His suggestions were to plant some native shrubs on the few small dry areas and edges and possibly shear the existing tags first for regeneration.

He didn’t think spending time planting actual trees would be worth it because of how much the water table fluctuates….even without the beavers.
Interesting. Was the shearing suggested to trigger more tag alder regeneration or other species?

Yes swamp buck. Tag alder shearing has become real popular the last few years.

I guess the alder regen is good for woodcock and grouse? Other things too?