Tree tube rookie.

Any idea if the tubes destroyed by bears had wasp nests in them?
No I don’t, never checked on them after installing until my stepdad told me they were all torn off by bears. It was only 4 or 5 up there and I did forget the bird netting on them so wasps is possible or likely.

No I don’t, never checked on them after installing until my stepdad told me they were all torn off by bears. It was only 4 or 5 up there and I did forget the bird netting on them so wasps is possible or likely.
Every tube I've had destroyed by bears had a wasp nest. That doesn't mean bears only mess with tubes with wasp nests, just my experience.

T post you will have a heck of time pulling after a few years with a tree right next to it
I exclusively use t-posts cause I ripped out a bunch of fence thru my hilly woods years ago where the farmer had run along the transition to steeper areas to keep the cows out and have a pile of posts I continue to recycle.

I've learned to just pound them in so the anchor plate top is just flush with the ground. If you put in deeper like you do for fencing you are correct really hard to remove later if the tree roots grow over the top of the plate. If you don't allow that to happen the posts are not that bad to remove later. Do your back a favor and buy a t-posts puller though.

I been wondering about insecticide cattle ear tags zip tied to the top of the tube?

I put some stakes inside the tubes but outside of most of the 150 (50 chestnuts and 100 persimmons) tubes I have to give a bit more room to grow. I have cattle on half the property and none on the other side. I suspect the cows like to mess with it at times but haven't had too many issues all things considered except that a few of the persimmons get chomped on when they get above the tube. On the side without cattle, I've only had a few blow off. They're typically close by and I just put them back on. After 2 or maybe 3 years, it's worth replacing the zip ties.

Electric fenced these bad boys!

will expose to cattle in a few!

I think the wire will help support in winds, keep the tubes from rolling around stake. But will see if polywire cuts tube holes.

Attachments

• 41DD6977-A26B-40D4-B47C-B7B20802710E.jpeg
    41DD6977-A26B-40D4-B47C-B7B20802710E.jpeg
    644.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 792BBF2C-5325-430D-8A0F-F10E228EA476.jpeg
    792BBF2C-5325-430D-8A0F-F10E228EA476.jpeg
    676.9 KB · Views: 31
Electric fenced these bad boys!

will expose to cattle in a few!

I think the wire will help support in winds, keep the tubes from rolling around stake. But will see if polywire cuts tube holes.
That looks like some gorgeous country!

Thanks

It’s really nice. Very steep however.

These cages are in the cattle now. The 1/2 rebar is much better than the 3/8. The straight set rebar half inch with woven wire seems the minimal I would use unless I can electrify it. The angle set doesn’t utilize the full strength of the rebar I have found.

Attachments

• D5220CE4-198D-4566-A39E-820AC8D70351.jpeg
    D5220CE4-198D-4566-A39E-820AC8D70351.jpeg
    781.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 3E1C782F-DC11-42E0-B961-5AA91E3B95B5.jpeg
    3E1C782F-DC11-42E0-B961-5AA91E3B95B5.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I wouldn't put tube on inside and my worry about using T post is trying to remove after a couple years,maybe take the flag off or use rebar
I like using 5/8” rebar. Strong, straight, cheaper compared to T-post, has ribbing so zip ties don’t slide, blend in when they rust, easy to set, and a buck cannot snap or bend a rebar post.

WOW!

I can’t believe the price of 1/2……how much is 5/8 a stick in your area?

I figure my first year if free…..tree wise that is.

seems the rootstock will send a very similar sucker.

I then will invest in protecting the most robust…..been real windy here….I can’t believe how well the miracle grow sticks are hanging in there.

WOW!

I can’t believe the price of 1/2……how much is 5/8 a stick in your area?
$16 per 20’. I get contractor pricing which helps.

Boy Howdy!