Trophy Room / Taxidermy Displays

After my dad's passing this summer, I wanted to hang his favorite mount up at the visitation. When I showed up with the deer, I realized there just wasn't a good place to hang the deer there. With 2 hours left before visitation began , I buzzed home and quickly put this together. It's not the best, but Dad would have liked it.

Dad found the shed in the display and it belongs to the buck as well. Dad shot that deer on my property while I was hunting a different spot. I heard the muzzle loader shot loud and clear. It was a pretty special night. A clean 8 point scoring 151 and change.
a10e90b5ba3bc3cea0254ba13620473b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's just awesome...

I don't want it to yellow. I have wood bought and sitting... waiting for me to finish it and put it up in the basement, but for the life of me I can't decide how to finish it. I really like the look of Tree Spud's ceiling and could be on board with duplicating it.
oil based (alkyd) polyurethane will yellow, acrylic will not. oil based products actually yellow more in the absence of light.

oil based (alkyd) polyurethane will yellow, acrylic will not. oil based products actually yellow more in the absence of light.
Thanks for the info!

Potter, is that your house or your hunting cabin? The quality of design is excellent.
That is my home
Thanks

Potter,

Are you married? If you are you are my HERO!!!! Love the place! If you are married you need to hit the speaking tour. “How to get HER to allow YOU to decorate”!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Potter,

I looked at your photos again. I want to be you when I grow up! First, those are REALLY nice bucks. Second, you chase and trap a lot of stuff. Third, you must not work to have enough time to do all of that!!!! Again, great room as are all the trophy rooms.

Mortenson, you Dad was a good hunter .... NICE!

Share some cool stories about them if you can ....

Thanks Tree Spud. Most our big ones have been slug gun kills. The wide one pictured there, center left, was my dad's 1st muzzleloader kill. The one on right I got two falls ago. There's a thread on here about him, buried in the trail cam forum somewhere probably.

Potter,

Are you married? If you are you are my HERO!!!! Love the place! If you are married you need to hit the speaking tour. “How to get HER to allow YOU to decorate”!

Yes I’m married
I’m fortunate to have a wife that has the same desire as me to hunt

Potter,

I looked at your photos again. I want to be you when I grow up! First, those are REALLY nice bucks. Second, you chase and trap a lot of stuff. Third, you must not work to have enough time to do all of that!!!! Again, great room as are all the trophy rooms.

Thanks
I own a business and can get away about 2-3 months a year plus my wife is very understanding and we don’t have kids

Potter,

Thanks
I own a business and can get away about 2-3 months a year plus my wife is very understanding and we don’t have kids

Does your wife have a sister? Age is not that important if she is like your wife. Anything between 21 and 87 years old will work for me.
Do you need a business partner ha ha. I should sell all of mine and take a lesson from you!

Lol no sister

Does your wife have a sister? Age is not that important if she is like your wife. Anything between 21 and 87 years old will work for me...
WTNUT, reminds me of a a couple of funny pictures I've seen hunting buds share on facebook... slightly different scenarios, but same punch line! :emoji_wink:

400 Acres Old.jpg

400 Acres.jpg

We don't have the most fancy place to display our stuff but we do display it.

Bathroom

image.png

Sheds. Really need to work on these.

image.png

Floor and table
image.pngimage.png

Walls
image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

No, I did not kill them all and there are a few that went home with the Hunter. But I had (have) a strict policy that if you shoot it, you pay to mount it. If it falls on my place I take credit.

I've also got a wall at home full of spikes and fork horns that I'm proud of. It's not always about antler inches. For me it's about the whole game and the fun in playing. Today I'm playing a different game but I'd never give up the one that got me here.

Last edited:
My room is kind of plain compared to some of you guys. I finished this part of my basement by myself, except that I did have some help putting up the ceiling. I used 4X8 paneling on the ceiling, and it was much easier to have someone to help hold.

I did NWTF competition shooting from 2001 to 2016. I won 13 world championships and broke world records 6 or 7 times. All of the prints and trophies that you see on my walls were won in those competitions.

This is standing at the bottom of the steps looking into the room toward the West Wall.

z6qdCZg.jpg

This is the North Wall.

I have lots of pictures here of special memories - especially of my son and my dad.

e3zrvAF.jpg

eXARmTE.jpg

3Zi4Wes.jpg

9KWt5am.jpg

HGXNkvV.jpg

This is part of the East Wall

TS1mjym.jpg

South Wall

c19rJ0a.jpg

Here are some miscellaneous pictures:

A gift from a friend of mine. He is quite an artist.

n4CGXy5.jpg

iZOnVXi.jpg

4x8h60y.jpg

UUtPd1X.jpg

90V7RIG.jpg

WOfMu1J.jpg

XAvEpK1.jpg

TxEjc61.jpg

Thanks, and hope you enjoy.

I love the turkey beards hanging from the ceiling.

You guys all have nice looking walls. I. Better get to work!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is that shotgun a model 97?
Great looking place by the way. And congrats on all the competition wins!
My room is kind of plain compared to some of you guys. I finished this part of my basement by myself, except that I did have some help putting up the ceiling. I used 4X8 paneling on the ceiling, and it was much easier to have someone to help hold.

I did NWTF competition shooting from 2001 to 2016. I won 13 world championships and broke world records 6 or 7 times. All of the prints and trophies that you see on my walls were won in those competitions.

This is standing at the bottom of the steps looking into the room toward the West Wall.

z6qdCZg.jpg

This is the North Wall.

I have lots of pictures here of special memories - especially of my son and my dad.

e3zrvAF.jpg

eXARmTE.jpg

3Zi4Wes.jpg

9KWt5am.jpg

HGXNkvV.jpg

This is part of the East Wall

TS1mjym.jpg

South Wall

c19rJ0a.jpg

Here are some miscellaneous pictures:

A gift from a friend of mine. He is quite an artist.

n4CGXy5.jpg

iZOnVXi.jpg

4x8h60y.jpg

UUtPd1X.jpg

90V7RIG.jpg

WOfMu1J.jpg

XAvEpK1.jpg

TxEjc61.jpg

Thanks, and hope you enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Is that shotgun a model 97?
Great looking place by the way. And congrats on all the competition wins!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Catscratch. Yes, that is a 97 with a 32 inch barrel. It's getting harder and harder to find one that hasn't had the barrel sawed off. The cowboy shooter use those in their competitions, and saw the barrels off. I was told that a few years ago there was such a demand for them that Norinco made a run of them to help satisfy the demand.