Trophy Room / Taxidermy Displays

My dad has one. If I remember the story right it was his great granddad's who built it part by part because he couldn't afford to buy one complete.
Is that shotgun a model 97?
Great looking place by the way. And congrats on all the competition wins!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Catscratch. Yes, that is a 97 with a 32 inch barrel. It's getting harder and harder to find one that hasn't had the barrel sawed off. The cowboy shooter use those in their competitions, and saw the barrels off. I was told that a few years ago there was such a demand for them that Norinco made a run of them to help satisfy the demand.

My dad has one. If I remember the story right it was his great granddad's who built it part by part because he couldn't afford to buy one complete.

Wow, that is a great story and a gun you need to keep in the family.

I have some guns from my grandfather and dad, but the 97 is one I bought at a gun show. Another old gun I have is a 1902 Remington side by side with 32 inch barrels. That was the last year that Remington made a side by side. It's modern steel rather than Damascus, so no problem shooting modern ammo in it.

I'm in the process of doing a bunch of gun trading - trying to get down to what I really want to keep. I took 3 new shotguns (still in the boxes) to a gun store the other day and traded them to something I wanted. These were guns I won shooting but didn't have a use for. Still have a few more trades/selling/buying to do to get to where I want to be. I will keep a few of my competition guns, but sure don't need or want them all.

Wow, that is a great story and a gun you need to keep in the family.

I have some guns from my grandfather and dad, but the 97 is one I bought at a gun show. Another old gun I have is a 1902 Remington side by side with 32 inch barrels. That was the last year that Remington made a side by side. It's modern steel rather than Damascus, so no problem shooting modern ammo in it.

I'm in the process of doing a bunch of gun trading - trying to get down to what I really want to keep. I took 3 new shotguns (still in the boxes) to a gun store the other day and traded them to something I wanted. These were guns I won shooting but didn't have a use for. Still have a few more trades/selling/buying to do to get to where I want to be. I will keep a few of my competition guns, but sure don't need or want them all.
Message me a list of what you want to sell. I might be interested in something (if you're willing to ship). I love old guns! I bet that side by side is slick!

Message me a list of what you want to sell. I might be interested in something (if you're willing to ship). I love old guns! I bet that side by side is slick!

I'm probably going to do as much as I can locally without shipping first, and then might consider shipping later on. But, if I do that, I will send you a PM later on.

Once I sell a few more and get some room, I'm considering buying a Hill Country Rifle. They are expensive, but I've always wanted one. Don't need one, but you know how that itch can affect a guy when he wants another gun.

Here are some pics of the Remington. I only gave $450 for it and was offered $850 by a friend on the phone sight unseen when I got home with it.

1VvCdPDh.jpg

kFtJJrDh.jpg

SGLOviah.jpg

I'm probably going to do as much as I can locally without shipping first, and then might consider shipping later on. But, if I do that, I will send you a PM later on.

Once I sell a few more and get some room, I'm considering buying a Hill Country Rifle. They are expensive, but I've always wanted one. Don't need one, but you know how that itch can affect a guy when he wants another gun.

Here are some pics of the Remington. I only gave $450 for it and was offered $850 by a friend on the phone sight unseen when I got home with it.

1VvCdPDh.jpg

kFtJJrDh.jpg

SGLOviah.jpg
Not a problem, I would stay local also.
I know about "the itch". It can run deep! What caliber?

I got to say... that double is one of the most beautiful guns I've seen and that's in a picture. I bet it's great to hold. Shoot any quail or dove with it?

Not a problem, I would stay local also.
I know about "the itch". It can run deep! What caliber?

I got to say... that double is one of the most beautiful guns I've seen and that's in a picture. I bet it's great to hold. Shoot any quail or dove with it?

I've shot some clays with it, and it handles like a dream. I was able to do some research on it and found some amazing stuff. They stamped the number of shot in a 30 inch circle at 40 yds underneath the barrels.

If I do a Hill Country, I'm going big bore - probably a 300 magnum.

Below is our new custom 45 Cal muzzleloader. My son broke it in right the other day on his 8 point.

n8fRj5qh.jpg

Noce buck, and to be honest it's kind of a crazy looking muzzlelosder.

Yep, not like Daniel Boone carried. And this one will shoot further too.

I bet! How far before it starts to lose groups?

Yep, not like Daniel Boone carried. And this one will shoot further too.

I bet! How far before it starts to lose groups?

The first group I ever shot with it at 200 yards almost had the 3 bullets touching each other. That is the longest distance I have shot it so far. I just got it back in the spring and have been so busy with work that I haven't got to really try it out much. I got it to hunt with and not interested in shooting competition anymore. However, they have a shoot each year called the KY Challenge where they shoot these type guns out to 600 yards. There is another guy on this forum who has a similar gun (Mista Pista ???) or some name similar to that. I think he goes and competes in that shoot. Haven't seen him on here for a while.

The gun is so accurate, I wouldn't be afraid of a 300 yard shot even though I've not shot it that far yet. The ballistics (bullet drop and drift) would be similar to a 30-06 out to that yardage, but I would be hitting with a lot more energy.

Dang man, that's a great shooting muzzlelosder! No wonder you have a nice scope on it.

Dang man, that's a great shooting muzzlelosder! No wonder you have a nice scope on it.

Thanks. I'm considering hunting with the ML during gun season this year. It will do anything my other rifles will do - except get off a fast second shot. But, if a guy puts that 275 grain bullet where it needs to go, there should be no need for a second shot.

My wife just bought me this new tablet, so I hope this works. All these bucks but one were killed within a 3 mile radius in Putnam County, Mo.E4A23885-DE66-4E2A-AA30-4B280AEBA75C.jpegDB0C8CF2-227C-462D-B4E0-F6614CBDE01F.jpegF12A1AE1-4D52-40F1-B48E-535588B62915.jpeg2DB007BF-EEC0-41CD-929E-26442C2DE21A.jpeg2BC578B1-A802-4F87-BC89-EAC926A2E3BD.jpegE69AD0B1-C722-4600-ABDA-514CAE72AF8D.jpeg6C116883-F77C-4D9C-90C5-0FB26A0695C9.jpeg8F7DCEFE-C999-48F3-9A82-1750B1053233.jpeg

My wife just bought me this new tablet, so I hope this works. All these bucks but one were killed within a 3 mile radius in Putnam County, Mo.

You're going to need more walls soon...

OP mentioned artifacts. These two frames were all picked up by my dad and grandpa, mostly all from one farm, and while working. The 8 point is near 140" and weighed heavy, I'd guess ~ 220# dressed.

20180319_183815 (1).jpg

Still waiting on time and funds to finish a room (ambition), so they hang on studs for now. These two gross mid 150's. Left was helped by decent mass, good g4's, and 24" beams. Right is just a basket, but 12 scorable points on a well balanced rack. He weighed 260 live.

Attachments

• 20170604_135737.jpg
    20170604_135737.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 55
An upright form I like, but wouldn't mount too many on. Second pic is my best bow deer.

20171007_145900.jpg20171007_145023.jpg

Took on a few projects thanks to good luck in the fall.

Did two hog euros. This one was the larger one.

20190212_000227R.jpg

Length on the incisors was quite surprising.

20190211_220025R.jpg

Also tackled doing a euro of the larger gator I harvested this past fall. Challenge on alligators is that the skull plates fall apart during maceration, and teeth easily fall out as well, so putting everything back together takes some puzzle-piecing skills.

20190217_102744R.jpg

20190217_102929.jpg

Next up was a project I've wanted to tackle for about 30 years. When I harvested my VERY first buck as a MUCH younger man living in my home state of South Carolina I cut the horns off with a small piece of skull plate. Often thought about putting them on a complete skull but never could find an ideal match. This fall I saved the skull from a roadkill buck that was hit right in front of my house and the pedicles matched fairly well with the horns from my first buck. Never have to look at the ugly crude cut skull plate piece again.

20190217_110142.jpg

Hesitate to share the last effort as it's certainly not perfect and know some prefer not repairing broken points. My reason for tackling the repair were multi-fold... 1) still had the horns left over from the roadkill buck whose skull I used to pair with my SC horns, and one of the brow tines looked like it would fit fairly well, 2) I'd watched the buck I harvested that I named "Me Likey" for years and he never had the broken brow tine until right before I harvested him so just felt right to fix him, and 3) honestly wanted to try it once on my own to see if I could do it. Sculpting / attaching the repair was the easy part. Color matching the apoxie sculpt was much more challenging, and though again not perfect from a few feet away I don't think many people would ever question it and think many folks could pick it up and without knowing about the repair wouldn't notice it.

20190202_125620R.jpg

Sculpted in some "noise" details to try and help mask the repair when painted.

20190204_172842R.jpg

20190217_091518R.jpg

20190217_091733R.jpg

Looks great!

How did you find the broken tine?