Trophy Room / Taxidermy Displays

LOVE the bone collection, and some of the taxidermy is like art!
I don't have anything that compares, just some antlers and my boy's woody.
afd2a7c2e00ec7a2e4f4120507017bbd.jpg
51b7da481260eb304377160c26bdc9bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cat ... what is the diameter of that cedar?

How did you finish it?

How did you remove the bark ... wet, or was it dried out?

Great thread. You all have some nice displays to admire. I'm also very curious how to make a cedar antler pole.

Cat ... what is the diameter of that cedar?

How did you finish it?

How did you remove the bark ... wet, or was it dried out?
I think I did that one wet. I've debarked cedar's both old and dry, and freshly cut. Sometimes you can start at the cut and just peel the bark up/off (it will slip off pretty easy if it's fresh) and sometimes it's stuck on pretty good. I've also used a pressure sprayer to debark. I like to do this at a car wash as they tend to have good pressure and the mess isn't in my own yard. Just do a google search for "debarking red cedar" and you'll come up with several good articles and youtube video's. If I remember tonight I'll take some pics of other cedar posts I have. I think I've made them just about every way you can and even have one or two that were purchased already done (including another coat rack like this one). I can get measurements tonight also.

Thanks man!

Talked to my buddy who did our work. He said they are pine boards that already has the clear coat on them. Said the Poly was water based with no lacquer. Apparently the lacquer is what leads to the yellowing. He get his boards from the lumber yard.

Hope that helps.

Here's another cedar post I made. I stripped it with a wire brush on a drill motor. It was old and the bark slipped easily.
10877e0a4166c2b358960434133847f6.jpg
22c98f633b4a85ed5a7851c923f3c807.jpg

Thanks Catscratch. They look really nice. I'm definitely hitting that up for a winter project. Looks like some great projects going on in that area of your house!

Here's another cedar post I made. I stripped it with a wire brush on a drill motor. It was old and the bark slipped easily.
10877e0a4166c2b358960434133847f6.jpg
22c98f633b4a85ed5a7851c923f3c807.jpg

Cat ... looks great! Incorporating real unfinished natural wood for posts or beams really adds a distinct look.

Did you have any surface damage on the tree with the wire brush wheel? I as thinking of using a nylon wheel.

How did you finish coat, just a clear coat poly?

Here are some up close pics of the tree. It has marks in it but you don't notice unless you get close and look. I think I hit it with a belt sander after wheeling it. Just a clear coat is all that I put on it.

fa99a795d4dea7687bf67dd74086c6b8.jpg
1a18aab3589a3721a99d7fa372ad4262.jpg

This particular tree died in a pasture burn that my FIL started. I wanted to keep the burn part as a reminder of him (he's still here but someday he won't be).
36d94e1ddc420bce8202aebabd3f1557.jpg

Here are some up close pics of the tree. It has marks in it but you don't notice unless you get close and look. I think I hit it with a belt sander after wheeling it. Just a clear coat is all that I put on it.

This particular tree died in a pasture burn that my FIL started. I wanted to keep the burn part as a reminder of him (he's still here but someday he won't be).

Very nice with a great legacy!

I'll post up a few pics of the man cave. About all my deer racks are on back wall in the garage I've only ever had one deer head mounted gross score was 158 5/8". I used to be crazy big into waterfowling hunting all over the USA and Canada and guided for about ten years so the bulk of my mounts are birds.

dKNKap8.jpg

yxmA6RH.jpg

5M17w2l.jpg

XALvYV6.jpg

NZ1eJej.jpg

ZGixzP8.jpg

7wjH1hF.jpg

Our family room is 16'X30' here is my attempt at a panoramic to show how it looks.
nxSLk52.jpg

3C7UxjH.jpg

Last edited:
After my dad's passing this summer, I wanted to hang his favorite mount up at the visitation. When I showed up with the deer, I realized there just wasn't a good place to hang the deer there. With 2 hours left before visitation began , I buzzed home and quickly put this together. It's not the best, but Dad would have liked it.

Dad found the shed in the display and it belongs to the buck as well. Dad shot that deer on my property while I was hunting a different spot. I heard the muzzle loader shot loud and clear. It was a pretty special night. A clean 8 point scoring 151 and change.
a10e90b5ba3bc3cea0254ba13620473b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That’s awesome what you did for your dad I’m sure he appreciated it.

Some of my dad's and my deer mounts. Wish it was a more rugged man cave, but at least 1 of us finally got a basement finished.

20180907_180855.jpg

Some of my dad's and my deer mounts. Wish it was a more rugged man cave, but at least 1 of us finally got a basement finished.

View attachment 20984

Mortenson, you Dad was a good hunter .... NICE!

Share some cool stories about them if you can ....

Potter, is that your house or your hunting cabin? The quality of design is excellent.

Ok....I am certainly developing a complex now..... You guys have some great and absolutely amazing collections/displays!

10-4 on that. Some of these display rooms put me to shame. The rancher on the farm doesn't lend itself to anything like that.