Triclopyr 4 for basal spraying

I’ve been meaning to say, you’re gonna need a ton of triclopyr to spray 1600 trees. Max would be 100 trees per 4 gallons (so 1 gallon of triclopyr). I usually divide where I get 3 backpack full out of 1 2.5 gallon jug of triclopyr. Id say 10 gallons minimum needed.

I’ve been meaning to say, you’re gonna need a ton of triclopyr to spray 1600 trees. Max would be 100 trees per 4 gallons (so 1 gallon of triclopyr). I usually divide where I get 3 backpack full out of 1 2.5 gallon jug of triclopyr. Id say 10 gallons minimum needed.
That's what I was figuring. I also thought I could do about 400 trees per day. So, about 4 days worth of spraying.

That's what I was figuring. I also thought I could do about 400 trees per day. So, about 4 days worth of spraying.
Another thing I do.

Buy a small jug of triclopyr 3, aresenal, and aminopyralid. Buy a ketchup squeeze bottle. Mix it with 50% Triclopyr, 40% water, 10% arsenal. Put a splash of aminopyralid. You now have the perfect hack and squirt mix. I keep a small electric chainsaw close by while I’m basil spraying, and any tree bigger than 6 inches I will girdle it and squirt it. You can also use a hatchet. Sometimes I make hatchet like cuts with a chainsaw when I’m too lazy to girdle. That mix will kill them dead.

Another thing I do.

Buy a small jug of triclopyr 3, aresenal, and aminopyralid. Buy a ketchup squeeze bottle. Mix it with 50% Triclopyr, 40% water, 10% arsenal. Put a splash of aminopyralid. You now have the perfect hack and squirt mix. I keep a small electric chainsaw close by while I’m basil spraying, and any tree bigger than 6 inches I will girdle it and squirt it. You can also use a hatchet. Sometimes I make hatchet like cuts with a chainsaw when I’m too lazy to girdle. That mix will kill them dead.
Thanks. Do you think 400 trees per day is reasonable?

Yeah. How big of a diesel tank do you have? Setup is key. The walking and spraying is easy.

Also use blue indicator die. That way you will know where you have already sprayed

Are you selectively, killing trees, or are you killing all the trees in the area? The reason I am asking is if you are killing all of the trees, I would put some arsenal in the basil spray mix. It will almost ensure 100% kill. I also put a little aminopyralid. There are a few trees that are aminopyralid sensitive that do not get a good kill with just Triclopyr. Not many, but a few. You can get 32 ounces of milestones for $60-$70. That use rates are very low, so that will last you a long time.

Yeah. How big of a diesel tank do you have? Setup is key. The walking and spraying is easy.
It's 30 gallons.
Also use blue indicator die. That way you will know where you have already sprayed
That was another issue I had. I thought you had to have an oil soluble dye, but maybe any marker dye will work?
Are you selectively, killing trees, or are you killing all the trees in the area? The reason I am asking is if you are killing all of the trees, I would put some arsenal in the basil spray mix. It will almost ensure 100% kill. I also put a little aminopyralid. There are a few trees that are aminopyralid sensitive that do not get a good kill with just Triclopyr. Not many, but a few. You can get 32 ounces of milestones for $60-$70. That use rates are very low, so that will last you a long time.
I'm selectively killing across 22.5 acres. Midstory removal favoring white oak regen.

It's 30 gallons.

That was another issue I had. I thought you had to have an oil soluble dye, but maybe any marker dye will work?

I'm selectively killing across 22.5 acres. Midstory removal favoring white oak regen.
Blue indicator works fine. Def don’t use arsenal in basal spray. Fine to use on girdle and squirt.

Good luck. I’ve done a ton of that. I’ll take some pics today and post.

Dang @omicron1792 That's a lot. You must do this more than just as a hobby.

Another thing I do.

Great idea with ketchup squeeze bottle

……as long as you don’t use on French fries

bill

Water soluble blue day works well with diesel/remedy

Personally verified this yesterday

bill

Be careful with milestone. A friend used it for locust removal in Central WI and he said nothing has grown back in the area in 3 years. He's very careful about using it at the right rates, but I do believe he was using it as a foliar spray.

Just something to think about. Nasty stuff.

Be careful with milestone. A friend used it for locust removal in Central WI and he said nothing has grown back in the area in 3 years. He's very careful about using it at the right rates, but I do believe he was using it as a foliar spray.

Just something to think about. Nasty stuff.
Max rate of milestone and max rate of triclopyr sprayed on this last June.

F8C50C60-1203-40F0-BE7D-C1594360AD24.jpeg

Milestone basal sprayed on some trees won’t affect anything imo.

It’s also listed as a minimal risk Herbicide by the EPA

If using diesel mixes, use a sprayer with viton seals. ChapinXP has a viton rebuild kit 6-4601 Solo I believe uses viton seals too. Hassle is a cost too......

Dont do much basal sprayig, but I do use diesel and used motor oil for rust protection in a sprayer.

Personally I don't like basal spraying as there is good chance of over spray that will get into the ground. Triproclyr in the ground if it reaches the roots of desirable trees/shrubs will kill them so you need to bevery careful when spraying. I use a dish soap bottle on larger trees to drip on base of tree.
Craig Harper says he has never had a casualty in all his time doing it unless the trees had a shared root system.

Triclopyr is not soil active in the way arsenal is. It is approved for ground spraying under trees of all types.