All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree source and recommendations?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I'm itchy to buy some crab and pear trees. Anyone recommend some disease resistance varieties and who is your favorite source?

Could you give us your location or the hardiness zone?

South Central Kansas. 6a...

Cat - Are you looking for " deer only " trees or do you want some to eat as well ?? A couple crabs that would fit the bill for both would be Chestnut crab, Kerr apple / crab ( cross ), Dolgo crab, and Centennial crab. I'm not well versed on pears other than to say Kieffer seems to be a favorite deer pear for a lot of folks. We have 2 Kieffer planted at my hunting camp, but they're too young to bear fruit yet.

The nurseries I've used the most are Cummins Nursery, Adams County Nursery, and Saint Lawrence Nursery. All 3 are GREAT. There are other good ones you'll no doubt get recommendations for from others on this thread. I can vouch for these 3 - they are top-notch.

Planting mainly for deer, but I will eat them if I happen to feel like it.
I'll give those guys a look.
Thanks.

I did an online check for all three nurseries that you recommended Brownsbucks. I seem to be a little late as I was finding sold out on some of the specifics I was looking for, so I called the Wildlife Group and should have what I want in by the weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Cat - For future fruit tree ordering, stay in touch with ANY nursery by e-mail. Usually by the fall, nurseries will have info on trees that will be available for the following spring's planting. For Cummins or Adams County Nursery ( ACN ), I usually place my order in October for spring delivery. Order early - best selection. Saint Lawrence Nursery is going to change hands. The current owners are retiring and I believe some of the staff may take over. Their catalog has always come out Jan. 2 each year. We'll watch for the transition at SLN.

As of last week, Cummins still had some Liberty and Enterprise left. Those are 2 of the best disease resistant apples out there. I haven't checked their lists this week. Just for info's sake - Cummins Nursery was founded by Dr. Jim Cummins, for years the head of Cornell's apple breeding program and is still in the family. ACN is on Penn State's list of best fruit tree nurseries in the country. It's not a very long list - FWIW. If you call any of those 3 nurseries and ask them to send you a catalog, you'll get a wealth of info in those catalogs even if they're sold out of some of the apples you want for THIS year. Free knowledge and tips in them. Good luck with the trees !!

Cat - For future fruit tree ordering, stay in touch with ANY nursery by e-mail. Usually by the fall, nurseries will have info on trees that will be available for the following spring's planting. For Cummins or Adams County Nursery ( ACN ), I usually place my order in October for spring delivery. Order early - best selection. Saint Lawrence Nursery is going to change hands. The current owners are retiring and I believe some of the staff may take over. Their catalog has always come out Jan. 2 each year. We'll watch for the transition at SLN.

As of last week, Cummins still had some Liberty and Enterprise left. Those are 2 of the best disease resistant apples out there. I haven't checked their lists this week. Just for info's sake - Cummins Nursery was founded by Dr. Jim Cummins, for years the head of Cornell's apple breeding program and is still in the family. ACN is on Penn State's list of best fruit tree nurseries in the country. It's not a very long list - FWIW. If you call any of those 3 nurseries and ask them to send you a catalog, you'll get a wealth of info in those catalogs even if they're sold out of some of the apples you want for THIS year. Free knowledge and tips in them. Good luck with the trees !!

A couple of years ago I was able to get Cummins to share in June their 'expected' selection for the following Spring. I was able to order in June and thus was able to get some somewhat offbeat varieties that they hadn't budded too many of (e.g., Centennial Crab), plus getting your order in really early puts you in a position to get their best stock of a particular variety.

The only negative is that it's an agonizingly long wait before your apple trees arrive!

The only negative is that it's an agonizingly long wait before your apple trees arrive!

HAHA, now thats funny.

L2L - Yep, it's a tough wait. Then when they arrive, you're all itchy to get 'em in the ground !! I don't relax until there planted, screened, mulched, watered & caged. Then....... it's on to food plots !!:)

Waiting isn't easy for me. I damn near went to Walmart and bought some trees from them just because I could have them in hand almost instantly.

I'll call Adams and Cummins to get catalogs. I'll be better prepared next yr, but I sure didn't want to skip a yr just because I hadn't done the leg work yet.

I'm planting 5 crab and pears this yr, but there is plenty of room for more. The spot is clear, water is close and easy, and the area will be mowed and weed free. I envision much more but like you said; I'm taking quality over quantity route for the first yr or so.

I'm also considering smaller trees and shrubs like plum and blackberry, but I want to wait a yr to see how the larger trees pan out and how the land lends itself to this type of thing.

Might check stark bros. They are in Missouri.

I'll grab a catalog from Stark also...

Cat - If your big move to plant is NEXT year, then gathering all the info you can now is the right thing to do. Those catalogs ( and websites ) have loads of info for you to check out between now & the late fall for ordering trees for next spring. I read the advice of many of the apple guys on this forum and another 2, plus read the info on websites from Penn State, Cornell, Purdue, Rutgers and Wisconsin. I have to say - reading, learning, asking questions beforehand - saved me a lot of crap when it came time to choose varieties & plant the trees. This forum is ONE good source. I learned many things from the experienced growers on here. Can't thank them enough !! I just try to share what I learned from THEM.

I started researching native flowers recently and started ordering catalogs. It is amazing how often I've used them! I keep one in my truck as a field guide. I use them for planting references. They help tell me my different soil types based on plants growing. They have been very valuable. With what you are saying I expect the fruit tree catalogs will become just as useful for me.

PM turkey creek. He may still have some inventory in stock.
I have been very happy with my orders from
burnt ridge and wildlife group

I talked with Turkey Creek a couple of times and would love to do some business with him. Unfortunately I was too late and he didn't have what I wanted at the moment.

I talked with Turkey Creek a couple of times and would love to do some business with him. Unfortunately I was too late and he didn't have what I wanted at the moment.
Better get on the list for next year! He is growing some olympic pears. That's one I'm excited to add to my place!