Tree cuttings

Bill Loser

5 year old buck +
I have a couple mulberry and a willow of some sort in my yard.. can I take cuttings from them to plant in my restoration project? If so what is the process of doing this?
Thanks in advance!

The process itself is fairly simple....here's a good website that can answer most of your questions: https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/plant-propagation-by-stem-cuttings-instructions-for-the-home-gardener

Basically you find some shoots with healthy buds forming, cut sections from these shoots in the middle... Apply rooting hormone, stick in some good soilless mix (making sure they are vertical like they would be growing on the tree), keep moist with a cover or in a bag.... And many of them should take within a couple weeks at room temperature. You can also use a plant mat to heat the soil up and decrease rooting times.

Species have differences in propagation needs or problems, so you'll have to search out that... But willows and Mulberry should root really easily.

My neighbor lady had an old apple tree cut down a couple of weeks ago. There are a bunch of new suckers growing up from the base of the tree. Being new to the whole tree thing, is it possible to cut some of these off and root them? How does one go about it? Can they be planted this fall or does one keep them in pots indoors over winter and plant them next spring?

I believe with Mulberry you can use entire branches. They call them truncheons. Google "Mulberry Truncheon" and you find the process. I have not done it myself because I lost my source but I had looked into it a while back.

Thanks,

Jack

My neighbor lady had an old apple tree cut down a couple of weeks ago. There are a bunch of new suckers growing up from the base of the tree. Being new to the whole tree thing, is it possible to cut some of these off and root them? How does one go about it? Can they be planted this fall or does one keep them in pots indoors over winter and plant them next spring?

If you can dig up root sprouts with some root, it is certainly possible. The master grafter in the class I took talked about doing that when they ran out of root stock and grafting to the root sprout. Keep in mind that if her tree was grafted, root sprouts will be whatever the bottom of the tree was, not the fruiting part. If it was not grafted, they should be a genetic clone of her tree with the same characteristics.

Thanks,

jack