Plums from seed ?

drycreek

5 year old buck +
My son has a plum tree in his yard and would like to plant some more from his seeds. Tell me if this is a good idea or not and if it is what is the process of taking it from seed to sprout to planting. Thanks in advance !

I believe plums may have to be scarified and this is done naturally when passing through a bird or animal but can be done with other methods.If not then stratified and this is where they are put in wet material and kept cold

Do plum seeds need cold stratification?

The plum would break open, and the pit would spend several months in the cold winter earth. This process is called stratification and is necessary for the seeds to sprout roots. The seeds need cool stratification to germinate indoors. You can put them in a damp
Looks like it's straification

He has already done that and has at least one plum seed sprouting. Does he need to pot these seeds or plant them directly to the ground ?

image000000.jpeg

I've had great luck planting plums as soon as they are ripe and immediately planting the whole plum under an inch of dirt. Just collect a bucket of them and then walk around with a shovel and drop a plum and cover with a little dirt anywhere you want a plum tree to grow.

I've had great luck planting plums as soon as they are ripe and immediately planting the whole plum under an inch of dirt. Just collect a bucket of them and then walk around with a shovel and drop a plum and cover with a little dirt anywhere you want a plum tree to grow.
I will pass this along, thanks !

Or you can plant in tree tube or grow in a root maker bag.If you put in wild area you may lose some to rodents

I had zero luck with the plum seeds I planted last year.

I am particularly fond of this bulb plugger for projects like that