trail cameras

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
I know this has been talked about but I couldn’t find the thread. I’m looking to purchase a new lower price ranged trail camera. The exodus price looks attractive but after seeing some of the browning pics that’s kind of the way I’m leaning. I want video and good night pictures are a must. What browning cams are you guys pleased with. Open to other subjection sad well and have no desire for a cell cam. The cost is more than I’m willing to pay and they wouldn’t work in 90+% of my locations anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out trailcampro.com they are having some black friday sales,the no glo seem to be working good,I have an exodus I would make a deal on but you said you wanted good night pics

I will say that I'm not impressed with the regular browningsw from cabelas for night pics though

Is it an early model Trek? I have one and had it re flashed but it still doesn’t take acceptable night pics.

I suppose it's a couple years old and was actually back for repairs most of first year and then I waited 6 months for an update that was suppose to fix night time pics but I haven't taken the time to see if it helps,you would think they would fix them instead of the customer having to.But my Brownings from a couple years ago would just stop taking pics a day for no reason and browning could never fix that.Browning also has their SD card slot so card goes in backwards

I like my Browning Strike Force, can find them on sale for 99 bucks quite often.

I have a browning dark ops. Like that one a lot. I also have an exodus lift. They come with a 5 year warranty. The exodus was a little more expense but so far it’s one of my favorites as well. Can’t go wrong with either IMO. Both seem to sense to soon and get a lot of head pictures of the deer waking into the frame. Electrical tape on the sensor fixed that though. If money weren’t an option. I’d go exodus simply for the warranty and the viewing screen.

LyftII is 165 and trek it 110 while supplies last

Browning, browning, browning, browning

I have been thoroughly impressed with their daytime picture quality, awesome video quality day or night, and respectable night time photos. I also have yet to have an issue with one after 5 years.

I've been getting the Browning Spec Ops Advantage lately. I'll continue to do so until further notice. The viewing screen is nice for setting the cams in place. Also have had good luck with the various Dark Ops I've bought, but haven't got the real high-end ones.

Browning, browning, browning, browning

I have been thoroughly impressed with their daytime picture quality, awesome video quality day or night, and respectable night time photos. I also have yet to have an issue with one after 5 years.

My dark ops have not been great. When my last browning camera craps out it wont be replaced with a browning.

Cheap trail cameras are always a gamble. Companies bid these out to different manufacturers in China year after year. That's why the same brand of camera can be great one year and complete garbage the next. The best route is probably to read reviews and then try to find year old left overs online of a camera that received mostly good remarks. You simply can't assume that a companies cameras will be good because they were the year before.

Cheap trail cameras are always a gamble. Companies bid these out to different manufacturers in China year after year. That's why the same brand of camera can be great one year and complete garbage the next. The best route is probably to read reviews and then try to find year old left overs online of a camera that received mostly good remarks. You simply can't assume that a companies cameras will be good because they were the year before.
This is so true and another reason to consider a companies warranty so your not out the money.

I have been running Browning and Bushnell cameras for several years. Right now when I need a new cameras I’m going with the Browning Strike Force Pro X. I’ve got several of these now and they’ve been real good. Awesome detection range and great picture quality. Trailcam Pro has a Black Friday special on these now - a two pack for 279.99. I’m not affiliated with Trailcam Pro in any way but they offer a two year warranty and great service.

I'm running almost entirely Covert Black Viper's. They retail for $139 but you can find them for less. Great camera in my opinion.

It’s really hard for me to drop more than $50 on a non-cell camera with only 1-2 year warranty. I really wish consumers would take a stand and hold these companies more accountable. I’ve run trail cameras for a decade now and just got tired of cameras that gave out a few months past the warranty period.
The exodus 5 year warranty makes spending that kind of coin very acceptable to me, but I have yet to purchase one from them.

So I buy cheaper cameras that go on clearance at the end of they year. Last year I bought 25 of the Primos Quick Shots for like $20 each.
Then I carpet bombed my entire area with those cameras in September and will not check them until after season.
For my expensive camera and in-season intel, I run the Cuddelink system. There is one spot in my area that gets cell signal and 8 other cameras in reclusive and low lying areas send the pictures to the one cell cam and then they all go to my email.

No checking of trail cams during the season = no pressure and lots of consistent movement to hunt around.

This is simply my approach and I’m sure others are great as well.

I use the midrange priced wild game innovations cameras. I started out four years ago with two of their cheapest ones. They don’t work anymore but for the $59 I spent for them they were good enough to get started. While I haven’t had any theft or trespassing issues it’s still something I think about. I’ve got a small property so it’s not like I’m managing a herd. I just like to see pictures of what’s using my property and what’s passing through. I will say though that I get lots of pictures of nothing and lots of fuzzy photos. But for me it’s good enough. I can live with some crummy pictures I think It’s like everything else. If you Set your expectations and uses to your own needs then you’ll be happier. Moderate price and reasonable picture quality works for me. A friend of mine only uses high end cell cameras and he loves them.

It’s really hard for me to drop more than $50 on a non-cell camera with only 1-2 year warranty. I really wish consumers would take a stand and hold these companies more accountable. I’ve run trail cameras for a decade now and just got tired of cameras that gave out a few months past the warranty period.
The exodus 5 year warranty makes spending that kind of coin very acceptable to me, but I have yet to purchase one from them.

So I buy cheaper cameras that go on clearance at the end of they year. Last year I bought 25 of the Primos Quick Shots for like $20 each.
Then I carpet bombed my entire area with those cameras in September and will not check them until after season.
For my expensive camera and in-season intel, I run the Cuddelink system. There is one spot in my area that gets cell signal and 8 other cameras in reclusive and low lying areas send the pictures to the one cell cam and then they all go to my email.

No checking of trail cams during the season = no pressure and lots of consistent movement to hunt around.

This is simply my approach and I’m sure others are great as well.

Any issues with the cudde cams? There’s a couple HUGE threads on other forums I’m on with problem after problem after problem...
also, why on EARTH did they make a camera system with D cell batteries? D cell!!!

Any issues with the cudde cams? There’s a couple HUGE threads on other forums I’m on with problem after problem after problem...
also, why on EARTH did they make a camera system with D cell batteries? D cell!!!

That's easy to answer, they last many times longer than AA's.

They tried with AA on one line of cameras and the battery life was pretty bad. 1 d cell = 4 AA batteries.

I have the cuddelink system. It’s alright. IMO my biggest gripes with the system are as follows, very average compressed images. Definitely not market leading in anyway. Noisy IR filter twice a day. Can hear the click. I had someone connect to my channel and all my cams dropped. There should be a firmware fix for that. I’ve had runaway cams as well. I also have deer walk by sometimes and the cams don’t trigger. Normally there is a reason for this, camera is to pointed a little to high. I think other cams probably still trigger though. It does seem like they need to be setup a certain way to work flawless.

The biggest advantage of the system to me is the multiple cams on one cell plan. 8 plus cams running for only $20/month is nice and you only need cell reception on one part of your property. That’s a big thing for me and others. If money were no object I’d run a different cell brand camera. They seem to just work better but the cudde system has it’s place in the woods no doubt.