All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trade you 2000 ruffled grouse for 150 elk

Kabic do you have a link that has an article about the 2 elk deaths?

Thank you!

I bet that is where Leslie is headed. Elk in NE MN. From St Paul.

A bull elk got smoked by a semi this morning on the interstate. Then it was run over by a VW Jetta which is now totaled.

Father in law not happy about his car.

A bull elk got smoked by a semi this morning on the interstate. Then it was run over by a VW Jetta which is now totaled.

Whoa

Yikes.

Not to make light of the situation but would love to see pics of that.

Took a picture of the car but not much to see. All of the damage is underneath. Radiator support and oil case ripped away.

It was a small 500 or 600 pound bull apparently.

Ouch

25 elk and one had to go and get hit. What are they down to now, 22 with two getting sick right away?

So they already made it to Interstate 94 :rolleyes: Funny how the DNR said that wouldn't happen because the "prime habitat" was to the east and that is where the release sight was.

So they already made it to Interstate 94 :rolleyes: Funny how the DNR said that wouldn't happen because the "prime habitat" was to the east and that is where the release sight was.

Westerly winds blowing that sweet corn smell.

Wait until they smell someone cutting a fresh alfalfa field, dinner bell right there!

Yep our DNR know's it's stuff. A VW vs even a small Elk WOW. I bet the bottom side of the car wasn't the only thing that got stained.

25 elk and one had to go and get hit. What are they down to now, 22 with two getting sick right away?
What were the 2 sick from?

One was killed by a car(that makes 2 now) and the other by the Black River wolf pack(the wolf kill was found to have brainworm when they did a necropsy, to my knowledge it was the only one that was "sick").

I think it was a tick borne illness.
Back in mid-April, before the live release, 5 elk(1 adult cow and 4 calves) died in the holding pen of Babesiosis, which is a tick-borne illness. The ones that were killed after the live release were killed by car, wolf, and car. The wolf kill was necropsied and was found to have brain worm.

EDIT: gwm beat me to the punch! lol

In Minnesota there is an emphasis on lowering the deer herd size in the moose range to reduce brainworm infection.
Just a warning for deer hunters and Minnesota is working on a proposal to introduce elk to an area near Duluth. I am not sure if I like the idea of introducing the elk.