trade you 2000 ruffled grouse for 150 elk

In Minnesota there is an emphasis on lowering the deer herd size in the moose range to reduce brainworm infection.
Just a warning for deer hunters and Minnesota is working on a proposal to introduce elk to an area near Duluth. I am not sure if I like the idea of introducing the elk.
One more reason for the DNR to lower the deer numbers in that immediate area, can't have any brainworm infested deer passing that along to the elk now can we?

One more reason for the DNR to lower the deer numbers in that immediate area, can't have any brainworm infested deer passing that along to the elk now can we?
Is Wis. trying to lower deer numbers in the new elk areas for the same reason?

There is no indications yet as to whether they are purposely trying to lower deer numbers in those areas. The "new" rules since our "Dr. Deer" audit haven't been in effect long enough to really make that determination. I do have to say that both areas have been pretty much bucks only the last 2 seasons(or very, very few antlerless tags), so it doesn't appear they are purposely trying to lower the herd in those areas, but we will see what the future holds for the deer in those areas if the brainworm starts killing more elk.

I couldn't help myself and I sent this to a habitat biologist with the usfs. Sounds like they are implementing food plots. But man, some hinge cuts in core elk range would really benefit the elk.

Hi-
I've been keeping an eye on the progress of Wisconsin's elk reintroduction efforts from afar. I'm a whitetail nut from central wi, but I completely admire the elk reintroduction effort. I was reading an article today about new efforts in Jackson county, and had a thought about elk habitat. I did some goggling and noticed you are involved in elk habitat projects. It's my understanding you are implementing some food plots, and that's great.
My whitetail obsession has really transformed into a habitat obsession. I now get more enjoyment and pleasure from improving habitat than the actual harvesting of deer.
Anyway, I've been thinking about how elk would benefit from some of the latest habitat enhancement techniques, us whitetail junkies are using. I'm not sure if you or your staff are familiar with "hinge cutting" trees, but it's amazing how much deer benefit from this habitat manipulation.
I know the Iowa dnr hinge cuts public land across Iowa. It's mind blowing how the deer benefit.
I really think the new elk herd would really benefit from some of the stuff us whitetail junkies are doing.
I know u are a professional and I don't want to offend you, but check out habitattalk.com-forum. We are nuts, but maybe the elk could benefit from our insanity.
If you need anything, or would like to view some hinge cut habitat, you have an open door to my property. It would be an honor to contribute in any way to this exciting elk effort!

Last edited by a moderator:
If elk need a food plot, why release them in that area??? The concept seems odd to me.

2015-11-29 (2).JPG I have mixed thoughts on the elk. I've read a lot of the articles about this program. I get to see some of the effort put towards this. There is a lot of clear cut logging going on in the Clam Lake and Winter areas. Popple regen is great. There are numerous feet on the ground employees on year round payroll involved with this program. Is "ALL" of the money expended on this program non taxpayer money? I have read that RMEF gives "alot" of money towards this. Clam Lake herd is declining instead of even holding level. This is a pic of a collared bull I got while going on a scouting trek.

^^^ That's a pretty neat picture. Crop out the car door and it would pass for a painting.

While I like the idea of having elk around, liking them is not really a sound biological reason to keep these reintroduction projects going. They seem to bring more heartbreak to the state than heritage.

Wow straw I just couldn't imagine seeing that in wi. Elk are amazing critters and they thrived in wi prior to all the wrongs committed against them. The white man wiped them out, with no regard.
The winters of 2012, and 2013 were epic in the scope of our lifetimes and wildlife. This year's years antler devolpment was night and day compared to the years following those harsh winters. We were also finding a couple winter mortalities a week during those winters. Turkeys seemed to almost disappear.
Just like any "project" any of us do, there are challenges and road blocks.
The Indians have already hunted and harvested elk in wi. There are already hunts. If those elk can catch a few breaks, they will continue to grow.
These elk are all collared. The biologists know the exact core areas. That's why I really feel hinge cutting thickets would benefit the elk, especially the young calves. Wolves aren't the only predator, and good luck finding a calf in blocks of hinge habitat.
That's why I contacted the biologist, and have yet to get a response.

Yellowstone once had the largest since heard of 20,000 animals, report last week was a count of about 3,000. I would love to see them really take off in WI but bow can we expect them to make it with the amount of predators here.

Wow straw I just couldn't imagine seeing that in wi. Elk are amazing critters and they thrived in wi prior to all the wrongs committed against them. The white man wiped them out, with no regard.
The winters of 2012, and 2013 were epic in the scope of our lifetimes and wildlife. This year's years antler devolpment was night and day compared to the years following those harsh winters. We were also finding a couple winter mortalities a week during those winters. Turkeys seemed to almost disappear.

^^^ I agree

Just like any "project" any of us do, there are challenges and road blocks.
The Indians have already hunted and harvested elk in wi. There are already hunts. If those elk can catch a few breaks, they will continue to grow

^^^ I agree

These elk are all collared. The biologists know the exact core areas. That's why I really feel hinge cutting thickets would benefit the elk, especially the young calves. Wolves aren't the only predator, and good luck finding a calf in blocks of hinge habitat.
That's why I contacted the biologist, and have yet to get a response.

^^^ I'm not at all surprised

"These elk are all collared. The biologists know the exact core areas. That's why I really feel hinge cutting thickets would benefit the elk, especially the young calves. Wolves aren't the only predator, and good luck finding a calf in blocks of hinge habitat.
That's why I contacted the biologist, and have yet to get a response."

They aren't all collared. Attached is a picture of a smaller bull without a collar. One of the boys saw a bull and 2 cows the end of Oct. I ran into the head elk biologist in Nov. He wanted to know if there were any calves with those cows, as they hadn't seen that group yet although they were being tracked. Not hard to miss the tracking trucks, as they have a large tv type antenna that will raise and lower, built into the middle of the cab of their trucks.2015-11-29 (8).JPG

Maybe these government people just like me. I'd say it's a quick response

Thanks for your interest and suggestions. I will pass them along to Laine Stowell and Scott Roepke at WDNR whom also are primary population managers for the two elk herds and let them look into it. Here on the National Forest, there is no shortage of timber to chew on, its grass that is the least available and we continue to maintain and try to increase that type of forage condition for elk. Having said that, there is always room to think of other habitat techniques to see if they can have value. I appreciate your thinking out of the box.

Have a good day.

cid:image001.png@01D13329.CFA444E0

Daniel Eklund, Biologist
Forest Biologist

Forest Service

Chequamegon Nicolet National Forest

p: 715-762-5194
f: 715-762-5179
deklund@fs.fed.us

1170 4th Avenue South
Park Falls, WI 54552
www.fs.fed.us