Top sowing brassicas?

Fat Lab

Yearling... With promise
I planted a couple acres of corn in a food plot which did well but it's now all eat up. Nothing but stalks left. I went in and bush hogged half of it down and left a few rows standing all the way around for cover. Back to my original question. Could I top sow brassicas into the "thatch" of bush hogged stalks and grass? I would try to wait until a projected rain but was curious what kind of stand I could expect. We just got 6" last week from hurricane hermine so there's plenty of ground moisture. We have also been getting some really heavy dews here lately as the night time temps are dropping into the 60's. Maybe with little rain the moisture from that could possibly be enough to at least get them started. What say y'all? I've never experimented with brassicas before. Trying to cut a little corner from not having to disk the area again and losing ground moisture as storms are hit or miss this time of year.

I know MObuckchaser is going to say go for it.
I don't see any issue with it as long as you don't have so much thatch that there is little to no sunlight every getting to the ground. I guess that would take a real mess to hose it up that bad.
If there is still sun light I think the corn stalks and stubble/debri will just hold some moisture like you said.
It would have been best if you could have got it in right before a rain to push those little seeds tight into the ground for seed to soil contact.

I just spread 3 pounds of Vivant Forage Brassicas into about 6 inch tall rye and oats to use of some seed I got some MO in 2014. Same theory, the tall grains will hold some moisture and protect the little seeds from the sun cooking the ground. I don't know how I didn't use it all before so I figured it was now and never and will take the 30 days of growth I get out of it this late in the game. I just put a 50 lb bag of 12-0-5 on that little 1/4 acre field and it has been rain slowly in WI for 2 days on and off. .6 inches, .15 inches and .15 inches in a couple hour increments. Perfecto!

I would have broadcast before I hogged it down. Might be a little hard to get the seed to the ground now if its sitting on top of the residue. I would plant something. If you dont the deer have nothing to eat. If you do they at least have a shot at something.

Gonna need plenty of N after corn if they get going for you. Get in there and and spread when you can and hope you hook some rain. If you are unsure of the disk do half each way and then you know for next time. A packer would be a much better option, especially since you just had 6" of rain.

I know MObuckchaser is going to say go for it.
I don't see any issue with it as long as you don't have so much thatch that there is little to no sunlight every getting to the ground. I guess that would take a real mess to hose it up that bad.
If there is still sun light I think the corn stalks and stubble/debri will just hold some moisture like you said.
It would have been best if you could have got it in right before a rain to push those little seeds tight into the ground for seed to soil contact.

I just spread 3 pounds of Vivant Forage Brassicas into about 6 inch tall rye and oats to use of some seed I got some MO in 2014. Same theory, the tall grains will hold some moisture and protect the little seeds from the sun cooking the ground. I don't know how I didn't use it all before so I figured it was now and never and will take the 30 days of growth I get out of it this late in the game. I just put a 50 lb bag of 12-0-5 on that little 1/4 acre field and it has been rain slowly in WI for 2 days on and off. .6 inches, .15 inches and .15 inches in a couple hour increments. Perfecto!
There's a shot at some isolated showers late weekend into first of next week so Imll take gamble and see how it works out! Let me know how yours turns out!