Tool'n Knife Builds

Tooln message me your shipping address I’ll ship u some hedge and other scale wood I have laying around some will likely be interesting stuff is 3/4 thick material thick enough for you to split a set of scales out of?
PM sent.

Back at the root burl/ball what ever you want to call it. I just can't believe how hard this stuff is. Here's another piece cut from the burl, the 2 scales and the blade they are going on. The scales are surface sanded to 120 grit and sprayed with mineral spirits to get the grain to show. Once sanded to 800 and polished they are going to pop.
20231120_122129.jpg20231120_121739.jpg

Beside having to sharpen the blade the mystery root ball/burl knife is done. Not wanting to cut myself up I made the video before sharpening. I also did the video vs pictures so you could see all views of the handle. This one is going to be a keeper.

That turned out nice tooln!!!

Finished this one up last night. It's made from a farriers rasp, it has a crab apple handle with oak pins. Throw it in the truck, tractor, ATV/UTV take it to the wood and beat the crap out of it. 20231205_075418.jpg20231205_075348.jpg20231205_075318.jpg

I’ve made some wood lathe scrapers from old files very good steel in them

Tooln

Have you cerokoted any blades?

Tooln

Have you cerokoted any blades?
Awhile back I looked into it. Not really something I'm interested in at this point. I want to keep the cost of my knives down, adding this process I'd have to raise my prices. You have to remember I'm doing this on a budget and as a hobby.

I’ve made some wood lathe scrapers from old files very good steel in them
One of things I don't like about using them is I don't know the steel. Even though its a high carbon steel it's still a mystery. My source for them gets them as factory seconds. They have some flaw that they won't used them. Normally they aren't sharp enough or the logo got stamped wrong. The manufacture won't tell you what they use as they all have their secrets. They could be 1020, 1045, 1084 and the list is a lot longer. They all heat treat and temper just a little differently. Since I anneal the rasp to make grinding the bevels easier I need to reheat treat and temper so it's some what of a guessing game.

Here's one that is something different. It's used by Tuna fishermen, they bleed out a Tuna by poking into an artery behind the fin. That's why the blade is so short so it won't ruin the meat. The blade is Stainless, the handle is a clear epoxy that I cast with sea shells, it also has brass pins.
20231130_105059.jpg. 20231130_105121.jpg

While in recovery I had lots of time to cruise the web. I found this and thought it would make for an unique knife handle.

Here's one that is something different. It's used by Tuna fishermen, they bleed out a Tuna by poking into an artery behind the fin. That's why the blade is so short so it won't ruin the meat. The blade is Stainless, the handle is a clear epoxy that I cast with sea shells, it also has brass pins.
View attachment 60220. View attachment 60221

This one is just waiting for a boat ride. 😉

This one is just waiting for a boat ride. 😉
Bill I hope the blood knife works well for you.
As far as the egg shell knife, It's going to be a while before it's done. I'm hoping to cast this week as I have a Dr's apt tomorrow and I'm hoping to get some if not most restrictions lifted. Then I let the casting cure for a month to make sure its cured all the way through.

Last edited:
I cast the shells in clear epoxy today. Give it a few weeks to fully cure and I'll make a handle from it.20231223_113318.jpg

Tool'n. Just the off-fall from a sawmill like this would furnish you more knife scales than you could use in a lifetime. Gotta get connected with someone operating a sawmill.
watch

Tool'n. Just the off-fall from a sawmill like this would furnish you more knife scales than you could use in a lifetime. Gotta get connected with someone operating a sawmill.
watch
Tom, right now I have so much wood handle material that I'll never use it all. As far as antlers I've also a pretty good supply of those also. But I always have my eye open for something unique.

It's been a slow recovery since surgery but I'm back at it slowly. These 3 just went out the door. Father, son & grandson set. All 1095, stone washed and the owners initials etched into the blade. Handles are left to right Locust, Maple Burl & Crab Apple.

20240115_121331.jpg20240115_121428.jpg

Looks good Tooln! Need any more locust?
What about that pelt... did you tan it?

right now I have so much wood handle material that I'll never use it all. As far as antlers I've also a pretty good supply of those also. But I always have my eye open for something unique.

How are you doing for burl? I've got a big maple burl to harvest this summer. I could cut you a few blanks if you're interested.