Todays project

tooln

5 year old buck +
Had some sand stone delivered.

Put some on the trail to the shed/storage container.

Did some landscaping around the shed.

Work on getting the wives grape vineyard ready. I'm really going to like this tiller.

Time for a nap before going to the punch clock tonight. :(

How much stone did you get?

How much stone did you get?
I'm starting with 2 loads. They bill me for 17.5 yards per load but haul 20+ per. I'm less than 5 miles from the pit. I got near 100 last year.

I wish I could get that much per truck. The 7 ton axle limit puts a cramp in my efficiency.

Road restrictions come off next week, so I'll be moving rock shortly too. :)

My roads opened up Monday.

What would you guys recommend for putting around a couple of builds that packs down nice and solid. My area often gets dry so I want it to pack solid and not blow like dust.

Also, I have one spot where I would like to put up a small retaining wall (probably 18") but want the material to pack rock solid. What do you think?

Decomposed granite makes a nice work surface if you tamp it (rent a plate compactor). You want something with a good mix of 1/2" down to fines (dust) if you expect it to be firm. The various sizes of granules lock together to make a hard layer.

Talk to your supplier about what you're doing and they should have a suggestion on what to use.

I'm actually getting taconite tailings for my swamp road instead of more plain rock. It's $6 a yard plus postage.

Granite is your best bet but $$$$. What I'm getting is washed sandstone. It varies in size with 2" being the largest. It really packs in well and very reasonable cost. $5.50 a yard delivered.

Wow, that's cheap!

I'm 10 miles from any pits, and the last 1.5 is down a 30mph narrow 2 lane road, so I get charged hourly for the dump truck.

I spent 4 hours on the tractor today. That went by so fast. 2.5 hours here at work and it's going to be a long night.

Wow, that's cheap!

I'm 10 miles from any pits, and the last 1.5 is down a 30mph narrow 2 lane road, so I get charged hourly for the dump truck.
That why I got almost 100 yards last year. I'm making nice trails.

120yds of tailings is going to be $1800 delivered.

The rock I got was $800 for 60yds, but I cleaned out their pile, and the big stuff is hard to grade. Even my new supplier said that stuff is a pain with a big dozer. The tailings will go down easy.

Jerry, you should come over when I have the tailings down. They might fit your needs.

Thanks Jim, I'd like that. How did you guys find pits near you? Call around until you find what you want?

Excavation companies in the area is who I've been dealing with.

I have to say, those trails look awesome!

Thank you

Trail certainly does look lovely!

Do you crown them? Are you using a box blade to move the material?

I'd also cut the cork screw looking tree in line with your loader mount. If it's not already dead, it's not doing your neighboring trees any favors. The rest of your stand looks nice and straight. Should turn into some good lumber one day. :)

Trail certainly does look lovely!

Do you crown them? Are you using a box blade to move the material?

I'd also cut the cork screw looking tree in line with your loader mount. If it's not already dead, it's not doing your neighboring trees any favors. The rest of your stand looks nice and straight. Should turn into some good lumber one day. :)

I'm using the loader to haul and box blade to set the grade. I haven't crowned them yet but will, I have to get my BIL's blade as I don't have one. The cork screw tree has to stay, the wife say's it has caricature. Got to keep mama happy you know.

Last edited: