To mow, or not to mow?

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
In my clover plot I have chest high winter rye. The clover is about knee high. Should I mow it now? Or wait until cooler days near fall? If I mow it now, do I mow above the knee high clover? Or knock the clover back to 6 inches as well? Or do I just leave it all until later in August, and mow it then?

Last edited:
Any fawns in it?

I have the same thing as you show here. I am going to leave mine until later since it is getting good use and i do not have a significant weed problem. Once Rye matures I will cut high at some point in late july or early august. Want to keep the clover tonnage high going into fall.

Depends on what you are trying to do, do you want a clover plot? Do you want another cereal rye plot? This is what I roll down and plant my brassicas into mid July. If you want a clover plot I would clip it high, just enough to catch the top of the clover. If you want another cereal rye you could wait till later and mow it and get free seed. Like DSD stated watch out for fawns if you clip now, they like to bed in there and they will not move. BTW great looking clover/rye!

I do have a quite a few fawns on camera near that area. I will leave it until later. I want it to stay clover. But if some rye grows in it, I don't care.

I am back home now. I am going back up in a couple weeks. I will weed wack it above the clover then. The plot is a little under 3/4 of an acre.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I would leave it. The rye will mature and fall over later in the year. In the meantime it is protecting that clover and surely the deer can wade their way through to eat it. As Scott said you can plant brassicas into that also.

I have a brassica plot going in about 50 yards away in a couple weeks. I am planting forage radish, and ptt in this plot over the 4th. This is my apple tree plot.

image.jpeg

I need to figure out how to get rid of them dam ferns.

Gly will knock out those ferns for the short term, but ideally you must raise the pH to see them gone over the long term. Ferns are a sign of low pH in most circumstances. Correcting your pH will have the best long term results. Lime, lime, and more lime until you get your pH in the 6.3+ or so range and then once you start killing the ferns, you should see them dwindle to nothing. Too bad you couldn't have sprayed this past weekend or the weekend before and then again right before you plant over the 4th, that would have been ideal for this go-around. The other maybe more important thing is to get the lime down ASAP, before you seed your brassicas, you need to start turning the pH corner sooner than later to help fight those ferns.

If you have adequate soil moisture......I have yet to see a clover plot that has not benefitted from being mowed. On a good wet year, I mow mine at least 3 times. They will be weed free and I spray for grasses in late July and that will keep them grass free until the following spring.

Gly will knock out those ferns for the short term, but ideally you must raise the pH to see them gone over the long term. Ferns are a sign of low pH in most circumstances. Correcting your pH will have the best long term results. Lime, lime, and more lime until you get your pH in the 6.3+ or so range and then once you start killing the ferns, you should see them dwindle to nothing. Too bad you couldn't have sprayed this past weekend or the weekend before and then again right before you plant over the 4th, that would have been ideal for this go-around. The other maybe more important thing is to get the lime down ASAP, before you seed your brassicas, you need to start turning the pH corner sooner than later to help fight those ferns.

This was a new plot last spring. It was just woods, and I cut out, and plucked out the stumps. I set it up for my apple trees, but I still plant stuff in between the apple trees. I did a soil test last spring, and the ph was at 5.7, and I applied about 2500 pounds of lime. The soil test only called for 2000 pounds, but I had extra to use up. Last summer I planted a brassica mixture in it, they leafed out well, but I didnt get very big bulbs from it. But in August the deer hammered all the leafs, and there wasnt much left after that. So I am not sure if it was the ph, or just the deer wiping it out. In that plot I had to weed wack the ferns down a couple times, and I also sprayed them last year as well. I also ended up with a beautiful plot full of wood aster. While they look pretty, I didnt want them in my food plot. I was informed by someone on another site to plant a form of grass in it, and that would help with the aster, so this spring I planted oats, and sunflowers in the apple tree plot. They are actually coming in nicely. But I need to plant the brassicas in a couple weeks, so they need to go. I am not sure how much it will deter the aster in that plot, but I wanted to try something. I think I will leave 1/4 acre of the sunflowers to see how they turn out. Next year this plot will go into winter rye, oats, and winter wheat.

I also added 500 pounds of pellet lime to this plot this spring. I didnt get a soil test on it this year, so I figured 500 pounds should be a decent number for maintenance to it. I am hoping it will improve every year. I also amended the NPK as per soil tests last year, and since I am planting the same this year, I plan on applying the same this year.

I have 3 plots total, the one I am hoping to keep as clover for a few years(old camp site plot), the apple tree plot which this year will have brassicas again, then switching to winter rye, oats, and winter wheat, and a back food plot that has been in winter rye, oats, and winter wheat the past couple year, which will be the new brassica plot next summer.

Maybe in a few years I will try some corn, or plant an entire plot into sunflower, and leave it in all year. I know they like the young plants, but I am not sure how well they will eat the mature plants. But my I will see if any of the 1/4 acre in my apple tree plot makes it that far. Does anyone one have any experience with sunflowers after they are mature, do the deer eat the heads? Are they a fall draw at all?

Sounds like you are on your way to correcting the pH, so you should start to see less and less ferns as time progresses. Just keep knocking them back with gly when you spray your other weeds during plot prep and they should eventually die out.

2016-6-30 Road Clover (2).JPG 2016-7-1 South Finger Ladino Clover (1).JPG Here is an argument for not mowing. We have different areas with similar growth. Both red and white clover plots. Whites will stay as is, and red clover plots will tilled and going to LC 's winter rye mix and brassica mix.

Last edited: