do I need to mow?

Powder

5 year old buck +
I have a few areas that I would like to put into clover/rye this fall. They are currently just weeds. If I were to let them grow up a little and then spray, would I need to mow and cultipack? I'm hoping not to mow as there are numerous rocks and it takes extra time. My hope was that I could spray, seed and then use a cultipacker to push everything down.

Is this a good plan or would I be wasting my time without mowing?

I'm certainly no expert, but I wouldn't mow. I'd do exactly as you describe.

Reasons I could see for mowing:
1. cutting weeds before they go to seed
2. create thatch to help hold moisture for broadcasted seed - likely helps more to do it after you seed.

I didn't have anything but an ATV sprayer, ATV cultipacker, and bag spreader my first year and spraying fallow pasture, broadcasting seed, cultipacking was successful in getting desirable food growing for the deer even if it was ugly looking.

You probably don't have to mow, but you should harrow before you seed and cultipack.

If you can't mow now ,how will you mow clover

If you can't mow now ,how will you mow clover
Or if it's rocky, drag a cultipacker on it without busting up your steel rollers?? (Is rollers the right term??)

I would do a heavy Gly application about 3 weeks before you plan on seeding. Get half a dozen old tires and bolt them together so they are laying flat. Attach a chain or cable to the tires and you will have a decent system for knocking everything down that the rocks will not effect.

I have a few areas that I would like to put into clover/rye this fall. They are currently just weeds. If I were to let them grow up a little and then spray, would I need to mow and cultipack? I'm hoping not to mow as there are numerous rocks and it takes extra time. My hope was that I could spray, seed and then use a cultipacker to push everything down.

Is this a good plan or would I be wasting my time without mowing?
Your field sounds like my first food plot at our cabin over a decade ago. Back then I had minimal tools, soil that was more rocks than dirt, and weeds that didn't attract and hold deer. I used the following: early July-heavy glyphosate spayed from a 1 gallon sprayer, August 1-second glyphosate application, August 13-pulled a home-made harrow around the plot, removing some larger rocks and the fallen branches, followed by raking out some piles by hand, followed by seeding and harrowing again. I then drove the ATV in lots of circles to promote seed/soil contact. That fall I harvested my first deer (a 2 1/2 year old buck) on the property. I was very pleased with the plot, which was clover, rye and turnips. That plot is still in service today and continues to be a preferred stopping point or the deer before the venture onto the neighbors pasture land at night.

I hope this encourages to stay the course (and consider adding some turnips in your mix).