To late to plant this years grafts??

Adittmer

5 year old buck +
I have 7 b118 grafted trees from my first years grafting adventure that I would like to know if it’s still hopefully ok to plant them in the ground yet in the next few weeks in northern Wisconsin?

Thanks for any advice guys in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as long as the ground isn't frozen solid, plant em! window screen em, mulch em, and get their roots a great head start.

I have a half dozen appke trees I grafted this spring that I'll be planting later this month in rusk county wi.

I planted in October last year and they all survived, so I'll stick with that plan going forward.

Perfect guys! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a hundred grafted/potted trees to heel in and some of which I will direct plant yet this fall.

I have been planting my grafts in late October and they do fantastic. I have 16 to go in the ground in the next few weeks.

Western Ark., Planted mine Oct. 10, 2019. This springs grafted apple trees.

This is an "air pruned" apple that I pulled out of its root back on 10nov18 and planted it out. I did this with some urgency as the temperature drop was coming in that night and I was warned about frozen roots in the bag not being a good thing. This is SE Mich and I believe we were headed for 10 degrees or something close to that. It did real well this year - came on in the spring just like all it's peers and I wont hesitate to do the graft-AirPrune-PlanOut program again. I've got 3 true root suckers already grafted and I will have bags on them before the first of April 2020.IMG_1462[1].JPG

Those two long "central leaders" are the actual buds that grew on the root sucker - close to 6 feet of growth. I pruned one off and the other one back to it wasnt so whispy - pruned in the dormant season, late March.

Agree, fall is a great time to plant if you think they are big enough, they are dormant and ground isn't fozen. I actually preffer fall planting if possible so I can catch the winter moisture and all the spring rains on them.

The apple trees in my nursery haven't gone dormant yet, and we've got a bunch of lows in the teens approaching. I may have to wait til spring to move them.

I just heeled in about 200 potted trees and shrubs... we hit some 20's over the last few nights. Prior to a few days ago the trees were still in my above ground wood racks I made for growing out the potted grafts and shrubs at home. I got them in just ahead of the cold, ground was still workable and the pots had not had a freeze put to the me yet. The last two days I have been re checking trunk screens and pruning. The trees I pulled from the racks were under a big white pine and still had green leaves but the last couple of frosty nights have put an end to that.

Planted my 16 grafts yesterday and today. A little behind this fall but I think I got them in just in time. Our really cold weather looks to be starting this week. Hoping the bears leave them alone, they have been raising hell this year. Breaking things just for the fun of it.

I'm still planting fruit trees and dogwood. I'd like to get it done by the end of the week though.